Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mike2q

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2006
THIS... I agree with you and my join date is years earlier than sw1tchers so because that apparently holds weight here?
Well compared to some I'm brand new here with only a small 16 years on these forums but in that short time I've watched Apple go from a quirky, innovative computer company to a fashion accessory company that sells status symbols. These anti any other company comments are unfortunately the theme here these days.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
Well compared to some I'm brand new here with only a small 16 years on these forums but in that short time I've watched Apple go from a quirky, innovative computer company to a fashion accessory company that sells status symbols. These anti any other company comments are unfortunately the theme here these days.
I have also watched this forum split into three categories. Pre iPhone, post iPhone and post Tim Cook era. For me the anti other company thoughts ended with the MS bailout of Apple and promising office. Jobs even said something to the effect of "it no longer is about Apple winning and Microsoft failing".

The way I learned Apple is no longer the company I used to think it was, was when at one keynote pushing Apple's health strategy and goals they had someone on stage for like 5 minutes talking about women's menstrual cycles.... Nothing against that topic in general at all but just was a wall shattering moment to realize where Apple was going.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Sigh, if it is a big enough of a security issue, then they can and shall better fix it.
Like I said, Apple even released iOS 12.5.5 in September 2021, which is 3 years after initial release.
Why?

The fix there is to upgrade to a supported OS. Granted that's not what you personally want to do, but that's not Apple's concern.

Also, your time based argument doesn't even hold up: Mojave was released in 2018 - well over three years ago now.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Why?

The fix there is to upgrade to a supported OS. Granted that's not what you personally want to do, but that's not Apple's concern.

Also, your time based argument doesn't even hold up: Mojave was released in 2018 - well over three years ago now.
And that is exactly why Apple is so anti-consumer sometimes.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
And that is exactly why Apple is so anti-consumer sometimes.
Not seeing how not releasing any more patches for a 3 year old operating system, when upgrades are available, is "anti-consumer".

Again, you feel hard done to - most folk would either upgrade or just shrug their shoulders.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Not seeing how not releasing any more patches for a 3 year old operating system, when upgrades are available, is "anti-consumer".

Again, you feel hard done to - most folk would either upgrade or just shrug their shoulders.
Looking at Windows 7. Mainstream support ended in 2015 and extended support ended 2020.
When did that come out again?
A 3 year old OS is "out-of-date" and that is acceptable?

Reactions: freedomlinux

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Looking at Windows 7. Mainstream support ended in 2015 and extended support ended 2020.

So? Not sure what your point is here. You claimed it was “anti-consumer”. You’ve yet to provide any proof on how that is “anti-consumer” given that most consumers could upgrade to Catalina, Big Sur and Monterey and get support.

As for the apps that got left behind - that’s NOT Apple’s problem - they gave a huge amount of notice to the software developers that this was going to happen - those that decided to NOT fix the issues could be classed as “Anti-Consumer”.

And yes, I got skin in that game - Over $200 of Steam games ‘lost’ because they’ll not run on a 64 Bit only O/S.

That’s for Steam and the Publishers to fix, not Apple.

If I wanted to I could still use Mojave to play the games. I’ve elected to not to go there.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
BTW, Windows 10, 2004 will get just 18 months support.

And before you try to say ‘But it’s still Windows 10’, one can argue then that OSX got 19 years of overall support (MAC OS 10.0 came out in 2001).

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
So? Not sure what your point is here. You claimed it was “anti-consumer”. You’ve yet to provide any proof on how that is “anti-consumer” given that most consumers could upgrade to Catalina, Big Sur and Monterey and get support.

As for the apps that got left behind - that’s NOT Apple’s problem - they gave a huge amount of notice to the software developers that this was going to happen - those that decided to NOT fix the issues could be classed as “Anti-Consumer”.

And yes, I got skin in that game - Over $200 of Steam games ‘lost’ because they’ll not run on a 64 Bit only O/S.

That’s for Steam and the Publishers to fix, not Apple.

If I wanted to I could still use Mojave to play the games. I’ve elected to not to go there.
There are more than just the 32 bit change from Mojave to anything newer. That is just one of the hurdle.
To give you an example on what I meant about Apple being anti-consumer.
Why the hell do I need to relearn everything that iTunes can do with managing my iOS devices, just because Apple decided to kill it off on Mac OS? Meanwhile, iTunes is still kicking on Windows.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Why the hell do I need to relearn everything that iTunes can do with managing my iOS devices, just because Apple decided to kill it off on Mac OS? Meanwhile, iTunes is still kicking on Windows.

Apple didn't "kill off" iTunes; they split it into multiple apps. Managing an iOS device from iTunes is hardly different than doing so from Finder, and the latter makes a lot more sense. That split was like a decade and a half overdue.

Also, if you think Windows never shuffles features around, you're in for a rough awakening.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
There are more than just the 32 bit change from Mojave to anything newer. That is just one of the hurdle.
To give you an example on what I meant about Apple being anti-consumer.
Again, your definition of “Anti-consumer” is full of hyperbole, short on actual facts, and predicated on the “me-me-me” mindset.

Nothing you have posted comes even close to being “Anti-consumer” but does demonstrate your apparent belief that if it doesn’t suit you personally then apparently it must be stopped.

Seems like most folk have moved on from Mojave and iTunes. You however are still angry about it.

Guess what, Apple are unlikely to change….

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Apple didn't "kill off" iTunes; they split it into multiple apps. Managing an iOS device from iTunes is hardly different than doing so from Finder, and the latter makes a lot more sense. That split was like a decade and a half overdue.

Also, if you think Windows never shuffles features around, you're in for a rough awakening.
I simply don't see how splitting it into multiple apps make it any easier to use.
Imagine having to go to different stores to buy vegetable, eggs, and bread instead of a single grocery store. The question then becomes why? The argument is that iTunes is becoming bloated. Maybe?

And I know Windows shuffles crap around (work computer is on Windows and is a constant pain).

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
I simply don't see how splitting it into multiple apps make it any easier to use.

Because iTunes was bloated with entirely different kinds of use cases. Putting functionality like a firmware update and device backup in the same app as a music player is really weird and frankly un-Apple-like. Like, they've even separated Mail, Notes, Reminders, and Calendar into four separate apps, too (unlike, for example, Microsoft Outlook).

Imagine having to go to different stores to buy vegetable, eggs, and bread instead of a single grocery store.

This is really more like the grocery store also offering repairs on gardening equipment.

The question then becomes why? The argument is that iTunes is becoming bloated. Maybe?

This way, much of the UI of the Music app can be simpler. The menu bar, main window, Preferences window, etc. can focus on, y'know, Music, the way iTunes used to before they started integrating other functionality. iPod firmware updates, for example, used to be a separate app:

ipod131.png

That meant that that app could be very simple to use, and iTunes, meanwhile, could focus on music. At some point (around 4.5?), they've decided to instead bundle all kinds of stuff into a single app.

Finder strikes me as a far more sensible app to handle this than iTunes.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Because iTunes was bloated with entirely different kinds of use cases. Putting functionality like a firmware update and device backup in the same app as a music player is really weird and frankly un-Apple-like. Like, they've even separated Mail, Notes, Reminders, and Calendar into four separate apps, too (unlike, for example, Microsoft Outlook).

This is really more like the grocery store also offering repairs on gardening equipment.

This way, much of the UI of the Music app can be simpler. The menu bar, main window, Preferences window, etc. can focus on, y'know, Music, the way iTunes used to before they started integrating other functionality. iPod firmware updates, for example, used to be a separate app:

ipod131.png

That meant that that app could be very simple to use, and iTunes, meanwhile, could focus on music. At some point (around 4.5?), they've decided to instead bundle all kinds of stuff into a single app.

Finder strikes me as a far more sensible app to handle this than iTunes.
Perhaps I am more used to getting everything done in a single place. The firmware update being another place was before my time with iOS devices.
So, help me understand this. Syncing music onto the iOS uses 1 app, then syncing videos using another app, and then back up using finder?
It sure is much more complicated instead of hitting the sync button on a single app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.