Microsoft don't allow me to use @mac.com email

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kolax, Sep 19, 2007.

1. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I've been using my @mac.com passport with MSN Messenger for months and months. Never had any problems.

Until today.

I tried to sign in - got a box saying I need to change my sign-in ID. Link. Well, my sign-in ID is the @mac.com email, so if I change that then that means I have a NEW email.

I can log into all my old MSN Accounts no problem (@hotmail.com though). Why do I have to change my sign-in ID?

This really has annoyed me, because I can't even freaking log in to save my contact list, so when I change my sign-in ID I'll end up loosing them all.

*****ing Microsoft is ALWAYS doing this.

2. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

Hey, I have the EXACT same problem, I'm gonna try downloading an older version of MSN Messenger and seeing what happens!

I'll post an update if it works!

3. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

kolax

Well I just logged onto MSN Messenger on my PC, and same error. Isn't restricted to MSN Messenger for Mac.

I hate Microsoft...I really do. I also hate the fact that I don't have a choice but to use their products too. MSN Messenger being one of them.

4. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

Yep, the older version doesn't work too!

****, i dont know what i'm gonna do.

I refuse to make a new account up, Microsoft better change this!

5. Brethil macrumors newbie

Brethil

I'm having the same problem.
    Though I remember this happening to people with accounts @alice.it (Alice is an italian ISP) when they started their own IM Service (compatible with MSN Messenger).
    Maybe Apple is going to make people with dotmac accounts to chat with people using MSN messenger?

6. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

The likely candidate is the fact that Windows Live is now the default for all Messenger and Hotmail related log ins.
    And the fact that they may be censoring @mac.com accounts.

7. kevinh456 macrumors newbie

Another one

It would be nice to at least have an explanation. I hate MS sometimes. Unfortunately, I use MSN for work communication when our MS email is broken (like right now...), so I didn't have a choice about getting a new account. I use GAIM, so the problem is definitely with MS.

"Maybe Apple is going to make people with dotmac accounts to chat with people using MSN messenger?"

If this is the case, why don't they just let us keep using it? Didn't have this crap with mac.com and AIM....

Stupid MS is just stifling competition again.

8. Dis macrumors newbie

I was stupid enough to follow the 'change you ID' links & try to actually do what Microsoft said.

All I needed to do was change my @mac.com to @hotmail.com and I was assured it would all work as though nothing had happened.

That was 4 hours ago and I can't now access either of them via the Live ID loggin page and they now wont even log on to tell me that I have an invalid ID. Somehow I have managed to make a frustratingly bad situation worse.

9. pieshopUK macrumors newbie

Same here. My .mac login, already registered with passport, is no longer allowed. I'm sent to a page where I'm asked to change my login id and told my contacts will be transferred. I decided to use my gmail email. Put in details, click save and it errors with:

Your secret answer must be at least 5 characters long. Please type a new answer.

There is NO secret answer input field!!! This is very annoying as all my work contacts are on msn and I have no way of logging in at present, or changing my id.

10. monkeydust macrumors member

the same has happened to me.
    i use my email at wor all the time and have lost over a hundred contacts because of this. i cant even login and retrieve them. im so ****king pissed off right now about this. i suppose i wouldnt have been as bothered if i had warning but i didnt get anything not an email not a pop up convo window diddaliy squat.

Typical Microsoft.

11. Verschoren macrumors regular

Verschoren

same problem here

I'm now trying to call them, but I keep being pushed around from person A to person B to person C..

12. newtonuk macrumors member

newtonuk

I've just tried my old ID which ended .plus.com and that works fine on my mac.

However, my mac.com ID doesn't work at all, I'm getting the same error message!

13. Brethil macrumors newbie

Brethil

Is anyone else not being able to log into Microsoft's page because it ends up on an error page? (both with firefox and safari)

14. Verschoren macrumors regular

Verschoren

the website works on firefox (last version), but when I get to the change login page it becomes a vicious cycle, you can't update or change anything

15. MikeyTadd macrumors newbie

Ditto

Same thing has been happening to me all day! not happy! Surely microsoft dont care what email addresses we choose to use!!!

Sent a email to support. In the UK, dont have any contact details. They used to have some sort of online chat thing, but think its gone now.

Glad to know its not just me

16. m4rc macrumors 6502

Same with me, I thought it was fake at first though! I tried several times to change it but it didn't work, so I fired up Parallels and opened Internet Exporer and entered the URL and it went straight through first time, my contacts were updated in less than a minute and all is well.

Reading all the stuff on the page the link sends you to I read it that Apple are doing something with the email addresses and want to use them, I would guess adding MSN to iChat but does all seem a bit odd.

17. big_malk macrumors 6502a

The exact same is happening to me.

This is just one more reason I hate Microsoft, I was glad to move my email from @hotmail.com to @mac.com, but I still have my old account open with the same name before the @, so I can't even move back to my old account because its already taken!! Don't want to have to close it and lose all my emails, just to get on MSN again. :(

Lets all unit against Microsoft!!

18. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

kolax

Where does it say Apple are doing something with the email addresses?

I've just changed my ID and seems to have worked - all my contacts are offline though but they say it can take a while for the contacts to "appear" online once changed.

Great.

19. m4rc macrumors 6502

It says:

'You may receive an error message when signing in to Messenger.

The corporation that owns the domain you're using is reserving it for its company’s instant messaging system.'

I may be wrong of course and this might just be Apple trying to annoy us all b ut it looks as if thats what it means from the way I read it.

20. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

21. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

kolax

Ahh never noticed that!

Sounds like Apple doesn't want their @mac emails being used for MSN Messenger then eh.

I feel my rights have been violated - I can't use an email I pay for on one of Apple's very successful competitor Instant Messaging programs?

Geesh.

I thought it was Microsoft playing up, but now I'm thinking it is Apple.

22. m4rc macrumors 6502

I do use Adium, not about to use Messenger! Doesn't matter what app you use, if you access the MSN network with a @mac.com email address MS will make you change it and deny you access until you do. Would have been nice if they could have warned everyone and given them the chance to change it rather than just cut it off though!

23. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

kolax

You do have the chance to change it.

Change your Sign-In ID (i.e. the email) in the link given and it'll update all your contacts and everything to your new Sign-In ID (email).

Mine switched fine - on a hotmail account now from my @mac.com one with my full contact list. But none of them are appearing online yet - server must be slow..

24. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Dang, I didn't know about this... thanks! As soon as I get back to my Mac I will see if I'm affected by this issue, since I use my .Mac email as my MSN ID.

25. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Same. It is quite annoying.

I hope that Apple has a good reason for this.