Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft today announced that it expects to bring its Edge web browser to the Mac, possibly as early as next year.

microsoft-edge-mac.jpg

"Microsoft Edge will now be delivered and updated for all supported versions of Windows and on a more frequent cadence. We also expect this work to enable us to bring Microsoft Edge to other platforms like macOS," said Microsoft.

The news was revealed as part of Microsoft's larger announcement that Edge will be rebuilt based on the open source Chromium rendering engine, the same engine used by Google Chrome. Microsoft said it expects to have a preview build of the Chromium-based Edge browser ready in early 2019 for users to try.

However, it's unclear if the preview will initially be limited to Windows or extend to the Mac simultaneously.

Edge succeeded Internet Explorer as Microsoft's default web browser on Windows in 2015, with a mobile version later released for iOS and Android. It will be Microsoft's first web browser on Mac since Internet Explorer for Mac received its last feature update over 15 years ago, in June 2003.

microsoft-edge-ios.jpg

Internet Explorer was the default web browser on Mac between 1998 and 2003, when Apple released Safari on Mac OS X Panther.

Article Link: Microsoft Edge Web Browser Coming to the Mac Over 15 Years After Internet Explorer for Mac

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
What's the point? Just use Chrome then, or any of the other Chromium based browsers like Brave, Epic, or even Opera which are available now. I cannot imagine any worthwhile differentiator that MS will bring in this instance.

I can think of one—maybe two—good reasons…

4zoiyk7.gif

EDIT: 24 hours later, and I just realized I left in the Windows navigation on the right.

Last edited:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
If it renders the same as Chrome it could be a great Chrome replacement for people who don't trust Google. But honestly now that Safari supports tab icons, I've found myself using Safari a lot more on the desktop.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
My main browser is Opera. It has built-in cryptocurrency/ad blocking, and also a battery saver feature which blocks other tabs' scripts from running. But I'll give a chance to Edge, although it looks buggy sometimes on Windows, e.g., for PDF reading.

Macintoshrumors

Suspended
Oct 18, 2016
It's a very good browser. Hopefully people who think their snarky comments are clever and appreciated will have actually used it and judged it on the merits first.

edit: too late lol.
I have used it on my parents pc to test it out. It’s trash, funny how they even went out of their way to find chrome. Edge is horrible, that’s one fact you can not deny.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.