Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vulkan

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2005
Useless, TX
Found a reasonable solution to make it work...

Guys;

Sorry it took me so long to post this. Ran into a million and one complications... but I think this is a simple yet viable workthrough...

First things first, and lets get this out of the way... Your exchange must have access to ports 193 (unsecured) and 993 (Secured). If your IT guy will start jumping like a pricky 15yr old skool girl, then you are screwed. Most IT People frown upon opening these two ports like they were their first love's legs. So if your IT is not happy about this he either has to find a way around it (I am sure there is) or you are screwed.

Secondly, IMAP must be enabled to be used amongst the user accounts. If not it won't work either.

Third, If your company is running on Exchange 2003, then you are going to use the IMAP setting on your iPhone. If you use the Exchange button tab, it wont work. The reason for this, is that even so Apple and MS are still in a petty squabble to see who has it larger. The Exchange Button Tab is for use exclusively for Exchange 2007.

Fourth, the exchange of information between the mail server and the iphone is strictly "pull". This means that you can send/receive emails, but if you delete any, it will not be deleted on the exchange server. Also, you cannot synchronize calendar or contacts, through the "mail". You can do this by synchronizing your outlook with itunes but not over the net. This will be able to happen if Apple releases their Active Sync thingy.

Fifth. Disclaimer, if you get hacked, shutdown or you loose your job, then I am terribly sorry. **** happens... but don't blame me. I am putting this up here because it took me two weeks of research and trial and error (and putting up with pricks that wanted to sell me their services when all they had to do was explain how they did it...). I don't think there is anything here that is cryptic but I am disclaiming my self so i don't get sued. ;)

The iPhone Configuration goes as following:

Personal Information
Name: John Dick
Email: jdick@yourcompany.com
Description: IMAP to Exchange

Incoming Mail Settings
Host name: mail.yourcompany.com
username*: jdick
password: mypassword

Outgoing Mail Settings
Host Name: mail.yourcompany.com
username*: jdick
password: mypassword

*note: some servers will use any of the following combinations: servername\jdick or jdick.yourcompany.com or any other mighty creative one. Just go for te name first and if it doesnt work then start trying other combinations.

Go into the Advanced Settings tab at the bottom. Assign the mailboxes to your iphone (if you want), and depending on which way you want to go slide the SSL settings for incoming or outgoing.

With that close save your settings and you will be set.

Things to Remember:

Exchange 2003
  • use the IMAP Button on the iPhone
  • open ports 193 (unsecured) 993 (secured) on exchange
  • Pray your IT is not a Jdick

Exchange 2007
  • use the Exchange Button on the iPhone
  • open ports 193 (unsecured) 993 (secured) on exchange
  • Pray your IT is not a Jdick

This is how i got mine to work. I hope my guide helps others out there. Its not perfect but it works. At least it worked for me. If I find any updates I will post them here.

Any questions, just PM me or post em here, as I check this forums weekly.

Good Luck!

Kil'Djean

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.