Microsoft fix your ******* software!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by morrisman1, Apr 19, 2009.

1. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

its driving me insane, every time i try to do something in Word 08 it lags, and i have a document that i cant even open because it just stops responding. i made the document in word 08 and it just contains a table, and that is obviously more than word can handle!

The software is buggy even after a gazillion updates and its really hampering the productivity of this mac.

i don't want to use iWork because i am very familiar with the office suite and feel Office 2004 would be a downgrade, or would it? Should i try office 2004 and is it more stable? i don't really care for the fancy-pants graphs in office 2008 or that other bloat.

Microsoft, PLEASE fix your office suite, its the achilles heel of the Mac!

2. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

you know this is macrumors right?

the guys you're after are over at www.microsoft.com

haha, but seriously i know what you mean. I went out payed for office 2008 for school. I have only used it for 2 assignments. I'm now 100% iwork.

would love microsoft to port the WINDOWS version of office straight to mac. No interface change, no slowdown. Same software, just for mac.

3. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

Have you tried a clean reinstall? I use Office 2008 very often and don't have any of these problems.

PS: Use AppCleaner for the uninstall to get rid of everything.

4. morrisman1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I reckon its part of their evil plan to bring down the mac, put their own nasty piece of dysfunctional malware on it! I dont know why apple advertise that macs can run office, its a bit like VW saying that you can put a steaming pile of dog crap in the boot of your car - neither are of any use to the operator!

5. Molnies macrumors member

I would like to thank Microsoft, because their faulty product made me go out and get iWork instead and I couldn't be happier. Pages is wonderful, it's a perfect app for what I need it for, the same goes for Numbers and Keynote as well. I tried to like MS Office for Mac, but it was simply impossible.

6. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

I know it common to rant about MS on these forums but are you sure its the software thats at fault

Have you tried a clean install as someone else suggested

If it was a software issue with office I am sure more people would complain about lag

Depending on what I run on my Mac I occasionally get lag, should I rant at Apple to fix their OS

If I had such a strong hate for Office then I would use something else, there are plenty of alternatives

7. ryan.hayes79 macrumors member

I have Office 08 and it's inability to work in spaces drives me mad. I do most things in iWorks now which is far more stable.

8. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

This kind of made me laugh ;) I've seen friends have problems with Office on their macs, I use iWork and before that OpenOffice.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Funny, I've never experienced major lag or crashes with Office '08 and I use Excel on a daily basis.

Can't comment on Word though, LaTeX is better so I stick with that.

10. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

I've got office 2008 on both MP and MBP.

They both act totally weirdly (esp excel)

Updates fixed some crashes and lag but its still totally awful.

They do need to get their act together IMO.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

ms office is Achilles heel of mac? Its so Achilles that even apple is taunting it in pc vs mac ads?

Nobody offer answers, just pile on the mislead rants. I borrow some other people's words here,

12. Molnies macrumors member

Not sure what you mean with misleading rants, since that's just as much of a generalization from you part as anything else.

For me some of the reasons MS Office does not work for me (and made me switch to iWork):
    Doesn't work with Spaces
    Doesn't work with dual monitors (moves and resizes documents)
    Word crashed almost daily, some improvement with updates, but still way to many crashes to accept it as a part of a normal work flow
    Inability for Word to work with different languages. It didn't remember language settings, having two languages in the same documents was a huge pain etc.
    Placement of images and basic layout functions does not work as they should, yes most can be worked around, but it should work without much problem
    Can't deal with advanced typography (as someone really interested in typography the inability of Word in this field is staggering)

Well those were some of the reasons I switched, and those are just MY reasons, not a generalization.

13. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Office 2008 for Mac is pure distilled treachery. It should be burned, the buried and a flag hoisted high on it's grave to warn others that it is buried there.

On another note. iWork is flawless and does just what I need - work!

14. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

I use iWork, but if you have something against that, you could always use OpenOffice.

15. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

16. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

This is why I stopped using Word long ago. I know some folks need it, but I had probs with Office programs even on Windows (imagine that!! :eek:).

I use Pages now, and open Word docs in TextEdit (which isn't perfect, but renders it well enough for me). If I really need to open a .doc file intact, I use OpenOffice.

17. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

What type of problems do you get using .doc files in Pages ?

I started using Pages instead of Word about beginning of the year, and so far it seems to cope fine, I do only have basic type documents, letters etc

18. morrisman1 thread starter macrumors 6502

ive upgraded to office 2004 and so far its working a charm and i can use spaces:D:D

19. MidwestStuck macrumors member

I know this has been mentioned a million times, but... SPACES! I use Office quite a bit, and this always pisses me off. I'm actually tempted to fork over the 60-something bucks and try iWork now. Office 08 ruins my Mac groove all the time.

20. jake.f macrumors 6502

They made it for mac so you mac people would stop bitching about not having it. And so when windows users have no choice to use a mac (eg me at school) they can open there documents on them.

21. morrisman1 thread starter macrumors 6502

no, they made it to make money. nothing more, nothing less. Like any large corporation that just sells stuff on its own momentum they have taken shortcuts and created a suite of buggy applications which would be pretty damn good if they worked properly.

22. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

I use office 2004 on mine and hardly any trouble, I've had it since I got my Powerbook G4 in Jan/05. It's written for PPC so I wanted something Intel but when apple suggested I get Office 08 when I purchased my current uni MBP I saw the two star rating and said no. I think my brother has used it and said the same, that it was just impossible to use. I'm waiting for Snow Leopard and a Mac Box Set so my family and I can split 10.6, iLife and iWork. Pages is oh so much easier, same for keynote and numbers, if you haven't, give it a try.

23. doobi18 macrumors 6502

Solution: Use iWork

Built by the people you know & love!

//doobi18

24. jake.f macrumors 6502

Same with apple. Same with pretty much every company. At the end of the day they are there to take our money.

25. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

Are these problems even with the Office 2008 12.1.7 update?
    Just came on to check if anyone has any bugs before I installed the update myself.

(on MB C2D 2.16GHz)