MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft has increased the price of its Surface Book laptops in the United Kingdom, following the impact of the country's decision to leave the European Union on the pound sterling (via TechCrunch).

Previously, the company had limited its cost adjustments to enterprise products, but the significant drop in the strength of the pound since the E.U. referendum last June has now seen Microsoft follow Apple's lead and hike the prices of its consumer laptops.

surface-book-vs-new-macbook-pro-800x254.jpg

The price rises mean the base model of the Surface Book in the U.K. now costs £150 more at £1,449 ($1,800), putting it at the same price as the base model of a 13-inch MacBook Pro sans Touch Bar.

The price changes, which came into effect today, only affect products and services purchased by individuals, or organizations without volume licensing contracts.
"In response to a recent review we are adjusting the British pound prices of some of our hardware and consumer software in order to align to market dynamics," said a Microsoft spokeswoman.
Back in October, Apple raised sterling prices for its entire Mac line-up by around 25 percent. The cost of a 2015 13-inch MacBook Pro went from £999 to £1,249 overnight, despite being superseded by a brand new model starting at £1,449. Similar price increases were seen across aging Mac mini, iMac, and Mac Pro lines, while just last month, Apple also increased the price of iOS apps by the same percentage.

Microsoft has repeatedly positioned the Surface Book as an alternative laptop for newcomers and unsatisfied MacBook owners, with time-limited "trade-up" offers for disillusioned Mac owners and TV ads describing capabilities of the Surface Book as things a Mac "just can't do".

Article Link: Microsoft Follows Apple By Hiking Price of Surface Book Laptops in the U.K.

Omar_19x

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2017

Microsoft has increased the price of its Surface Book laptops in the United Kingdom, following the impact of the country's decision to leave the European Union on the pound sterling (via TechCrunch).

Previously, the company had limited its cost adjustments to enterprise products, but the significant drop in the strength of the pound since the E.U. referendum last June has now seen Microsoft follow Apple's lead and hike the prices of its consumer laptops.

surface-book-vs-new-macbook-pro-800x254.jpg

The price rises mean the base model of the Surface Book in the U.K. now costs £150 more at £1,449 ($1,800), putting it at the same price as the base model of a 13-inch MacBook Pro sans Touch Bar.

The price changes, which came into effect today, only affect products and services purchased by individuals, or organizations without volume licensing contracts.
Back in October, Apple raised sterling prices for its entire Mac line-up by around 25 percent. The cost of a 2015 13-inch MacBook Pro went from £999 to £1,249 overnight, despite being superseded by a brand new model starting at £1,449. Similar price increases were seen across aging Mac mini, iMac, and Mac Pro lines, while just last month, Apple also increased the price of iOS apps by the same percentage.

Microsoft has repeatedly positioned the Surface Book as an alternative laptop for newcomers and unsatisfied MacBook owners, with time-limited "trade-up" offers for disillusioned Mac owners and TV ads describing capabilities of the Surface Book as things a Mac "just can't do".

Article Link: Microsoft Follows Apple By Hiking Price of Surface Book Laptops in the U.K.
But but but the internet told me that only Apple overprices their products? How can this be possible?

Comment

Paul Dawkins

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016
Stonehenge
Both are overpriced for what they do - you can buy a refurbed Dell Latitude 7470 with i7 sky lake, 16GB of DDR4, 256GB SSD, 2560x1440 screen for $850 USD, $1000 less than what they're asking for - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Latitu...163402?hash=item3d32cae78a:g:eZwAAOSwopRYbVh-

Overpriced for you maybe. Some will see some value you can't see. Also you example is poor, it loses on build quality, materials and support. Not exactly apples to apples comparison.

Comment

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Comment

jerry16

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2016
across the universe
Overpriced for you maybe. Some will see some value you can't see. Also you example is poor, it loses on build quality, materials and support. Not exactly apples to apples comparison.

This. Build quality and service (nearby Apple Store) is why I spend more on Apple products.

I keep seeing (elsewhere on these forums) comparisons drawn to the XPS15 and the MBP in terms of build quality but I just don't find that to be true (admittedly anecdotal). I own both and have had so many issues with the Dell it just infuriates me - and I'm not really that picky - I just want it to work.

Comment

icanhazapple

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Decent specs at the cost of build quality and materials swell as support. There is no magic here.

I actually own one - the build quality is fantastic. I have it docked to two Dell Ultrasharp 21.5 1080p monitors at my desk 75% of the time, and the 25% that it isn't docked and used as a laptop, it's sufficient for $1000 less.

With an SSD and integrated GPU (dGPUs seem to fry Apple logic boards at a fantastic clip) there's really nothing to break. The thermal design is quite good.

As a software engineer, I run Win10 w/multiple linux VMs in Virtual Box. So yeah, I'm more than pretty tough on my machines.

Based on the comments, sounds like Apple is giving their customers what they want - how are you liking their prices these days?

Reactions: joueboy
Comment

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
Dumb question, but can people in the UK purchase Apple products from a U.S. store or person and use it as normal?

We get nice discounts off their overpriced products from big box retailers and they keep screwing you guys by increasing the price even more.

Comment

oneshotpro

Suspended
Aug 13, 2014
I don't see why everyone has to pay American prices...is apple increasing their employees pay in these countries as well?

Comment

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
Dumb question, but can people in the UK purchase Apple products from a U.S. store or person and use it as normal?

We get nice discounts off their overpriced products from big box retailers and they keep screwing you guys by increasing the price even more.

I often buy my Apple products in the US as it's much cheaper for me, and yes we can use them fine and as normal. MacBook's the keyboard is slightly different but I prefer the US layout anyway.

Comment

dmylrea

macrumors 68040
Sep 27, 2005
I literally don't believe you.
You don't believe he owns one, or you don't believe the build quality is fantastic?

There literally isn't any reason to make up his ownership story, and as far as build quality, I can attest that the E7470 is very nice. It's a Latitude, so it comes with a 3 YR ON SITE WARRANTY (Apple NEVER will have that), and it built to withstand the rigors of travel by business road warriors. It's not "ruggedized" (ugly) by any means, and is thin and light (around 3 lbs). The 2560x1440 touch screen model comes with an awesome carbon fiber lid and that screen blows away anything Dell has right now.

There. Am I giving fake news, too?

Comment

chucker23n1

macrumors 603
Dec 7, 2014
Both are overpriced for what they do - you can buy a refurbed Dell Latitude 7470 with i7 sky lake, 16GB of DDR4, 256GB SSD, 2560x1440 screen for $850 USD, $1000 less than what they're asking for - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Latitu...163402?hash=item3d32cae78a:g:eZwAAOSwopRYbVh-

That's a 15W CPU, so it compares to the MacBook Escape. To make them somewhat comparable, I set the Mac to the 2.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 processor and 16GB 1866MHz memory options, bringing it to $1999.

The Dell needs the 16GB (2x8GB) 2133MHz, M.2 256GB PCIe NVMe and 14.0" QHD (2560x1440) options to be similar, bringing it to $2249. It has a slightly better CPU and its display does Touch, but it's also 25% thicker, 20% bulkier, slightly heavier, and has worse battery life. There's also no Thunderbolt or even USB 3.1; OTOH, it has HDMI, Ethernet and SD.

So, it's quite comparable. Not sure where you're getting "$1000 less" from, and surely we're not seriously comparing refurb products with new ones?

Comment

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Wrong move, Microsoft. You aren't at apple's level. Focus on making better products and cheaper price and you will do well.

Comment

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
And the EU is not going to let us leave easy and rightfully so.

Yes, because is EU delaying the article 50.
It is actually UK who is wants to have best of both worlds and not sure how and when to pull the plug.
Guess what? EU is not that daft either. And UK will get exactly what has asked for and when is ready.

Comment

Paul Dawkins

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016
Stonehenge
Yes, because is EU delaying the article 50.
It is actually UK who is wants to have best of both worlds and not sure how and when to pull the plug.
Guess what? EU is not that daft either. And UK will get exactly what has asked for and when is ready.
Stupidity of our electorate is not going to go unpunished. Universe has it's ways.

Reactions: Keane16
Comment

Paul Dawkins

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016
Stonehenge
You don't believe he owns one, or you don't believe the build quality is fantastic?

There literally isn't any reason to make up his ownership story, and as far as build quality, I can attest that the E7470 is very nice. It's a Latitude, so it comes with a 3 YR ON SITE WARRANTY (Apple NEVER will have that), and it built to withstand the rigors of travel by business road warriors. It's not "ruggedized" (ugly) by any means, and is thin and light (around 3 lbs). The 2560x1440 touch screen model comes with an awesome carbon fiber lid and that screen blows away anything Dell has right now.

There. Am I giving fake news, too?
Could be both, but I'm referring to a second statement.

Comment

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Wrong move, Microsoft. You aren't at apple's level. Focus on making better products and cheaper price and you will do well.

It's nothing but an excuse to price gouge, all the financial forecasts bar EU generated ones, now predict a boom in the U.K. Economy, this is despite all of them predicting doom and gloom and emergency budgets etc, the pound has gone up and when sales drop those prices will soon too.
As the trade deals start to flood in more the pound will just grow stronger and stronger.

As I said this is just price gouging.

That's my opinion anyway.

Last edited:
Comment

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007

It's just business. Microsoft are just adjusting for currency fluctuations. Nothing to do with their pricing structure.

All companies do it. After Brexit supermarket prices in the UK have steadily risen too. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...lar-euro-currency-exchange-rate-a7358926.html

Another Brexit driven example is Sonos: http://news.sky.com/story/brexit-pound-plunge-pumps-up-sonos-speaker-prices-10766907

On the flip side when currencies get stronger you may get a price drop. Like Australians did in 2011 for App Store pricing. http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2011/07/finally-apple-australian-app-store-pricing-matches-the-us/

It's nothing but an excuse to price gouge, all the financial forecasts bar EU generated ones, now predict a boom in the U.K. Economy, this is despite all of them predicting doom and gloom and emergency budgets etc, the pound has gone up and when sales drop those prices will soon too.
As the trade deals start to flood in more the pound will just grow stronger and stronger.

As I said this is just price gouging.

Would love to see some sources on this UK predicted "boom". It's been grim news after grim news so far. And I've seen nothing to suggest otherwise recently.

And the pound has "gone up"? Where are you getting your rates? The pound is significantly weaker post Brexit: http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=USD&view=1Y

Reactions: pat500000
Comment

dmylrea

macrumors 68040
Sep 27, 2005

Given the opinions by most here at MR's, the same advice could be given to Apple. What, exactly, is "apple's level"? I believe the Surface Pro 4 was one of the best selling tablet/computers the last couple of years.

Reactions: apolloa
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.