Microsoft Halting Windows Media Player for Mac

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Although news of this item had been circulating around the Mac web for a couple of days, CNet now has official word that Microsoft has indeed halted development of Windows Media Player for the Mac.

"We have no plans to provide future updates or product support for Windows Media Player for Mac," Adam Anderson, Microsoft public relations manager, said in an interview Thursday.
The current version remains available but was last updated in November 2003.

Instead, Microsoft is promoting a free third party application from Flip4Mac which allows users to playback Windows Media files under Quicktime.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
I don't think there'll be too many mourning this. Flip4mac plays back much smoother, and it was a pain to have to install a different media player just for one type of file.

Ramsos

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Oakland, California
I have Flip4mac pro and I actually make a lot of WMV content for websites, This should be interesting. I'm sure someone will continue to make a Mac solution for windows media player.

aspro

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Hobart, Australia
Very happy about this, I was thinking about buying Flip4Mac, but now there is no need.

I havent had to deal with many Windows Media files, but it is still handy to have for the odd occasion when you do.

MacsRgr8

macrumors 604
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Flip4Mac is not bad....

But not all wmv's play perfectly
Also some swf's are not supported.

In both cases WMP does work....

Also WMP DRM's will not be supported.

I vote this negative.

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
so microsoft owns flip4mac or is just encouraging us to get it? Will they be continuing to support flip4mac -- as in when new formats and updates are released for WMP will they update flip4mac? Honestly flip4mac is nice when itw orks, but it seems to work slightly less often than wmp.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
This doesn't bother me one bit. Flip works much better for me than WMP does. As a matter of fact, maybe Microsoft read the post I made the other day.

MacsRgr8

macrumors 604
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I assume my problems are Windows Media 10 files....

According to Macorchard Flip4Mac won't support it. :(

Flip4Mac WMV supports the following audio and video codecs:

Windows Media Audio 9
Windows Media Audio 9 Professional
Windows Media Audio 9 Lossless
ISO MPEG Layer 3 (MP3)
Microsoft G.726
Microsoft IMA ADPCM
Microsoft G.711 aLaw
Microsoft G.711 uLaw
Microsoft ADPCM
Windows Media Video 9 Advanced Profile
Windows Media Video 9
Windows Media Video 8
Windows Media Video 7
ISO MPEG-4, versions 1.0 and 1.1
Microsoft MPEG-4, versions 2 and 3
Microsoft Motion JPEG

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
AlmostThere said:
Flip4Mac crashes Quicktime every time I close a movie. Great work.
Check you have Flip4Mac 2.0.1, which is needed to work with Quicktime 7.0.4

bugfaceuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
You know despite Microsoft's "we are on this platform for the next 5 years", I'm detecting a pull back from Mactopia.

But I'm equally not sure this matters. Open Office 2.0 has kicked over the ant hill, and forced open XML standards for office documents, that's what matters [to me].

I look at Keynote and Pages and say "you know what, that does most of what I want, without half the hassle".

I can still run all my other apps NetBeans 5.0, Photoshop, Dreamweaver.

The only turd in the fruit bowl is exchange integration, but I guess we have "5 years" to let others integrate with it, and it is easier to intetgrate with not with the various mobile solutions providing an acceptable gateway.

As for MSN messenger? Really, do I care?

And of course the topic title, WMP seemed like a dog's dinner port to me as Windows->Mac transitioner. Integrating more codecs into quick time seems like the right soltuion. Come to think of it, QuickTime on Windows didn't make sense to me, I just want one media player with lots of codecs (don't actually care if its QT on Windows or WMP on OSX, just want one on each platform!).

MacsRgr8

macrumors 604
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
bugfaceuk said:
Come to think of it, QuickTime on Windows didn't make sense to me, I just want one media player with lots of codecs (don't actually care if its QT on Windows or WMP on OSX, just want one on each platform!).
I agree.
Especially with the Finder's QuickTime movies preview, it's pretty much a must to have all codecs available for QuickTime. It is just so annoying when you get that spining beachball just because you selected a movie in the Finder and QuickTime can't find the appropriate codec.

X-Baz

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2002
Leeds, England
bugfaceuk said:
The only turd in the fruit bowl is exchange integration, but I guess we have "5 years" to let others integrate with it, and it is easier to intetgrate with not with the various mobile solutions providing an acceptable gateway.
For simple syncing with Exchange GroupCal from Snerdware works for me (providing your server has web-access set up) - they also have a tool for syncing Exchange contacts with AddressBook but I don't use that.

The only problem I have had is that our Exchange box is set to disallow SMTP sends from anything other that Outlook - a bit of begging to the admin fixed that one.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Microsoft should just give up on having their own media type even for Windows. I think iTunes was one of the reasons the Media PC won't reach it's full potential. They can't play the current standards in video / music using their own products. Don't they have something like 2% of the music market? :rolleyes:

rpedde

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2003
For those keeping track of what won't work, the daily show videos don't seem to work from Comedy Central's site.

<sigh>

I hope this doesn't mean that mac is going to become even more of a red-headed stepchild in online streaming media. Why can't everyone use open formats? Grrr....

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Ah well, hopefully this will decrease usage of the equal worst video codec ever (other one being avi). Flip4Mac makes things *bearable though*. I do not understand why people can't make all their vids on their websites as .mpeg or .mov though. Reliability. :)

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
This amounts to microsoft blocking the ability to view WMP10 media on a mac. And anything DRM'd in WMP9. I actually find this quite surprising.

I wonder how much of this is fallout from microsoft's attempt to corner the video market...

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
London
VLC all the way!

I use VLC for my video files as it plays pretty much everything (including wmv) and you don't need to pay to watch full screen (like Quicktime).

I certainly won't miss WMP for Mac.

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
I read the title of this thread as 'Microsoft Hating Windows Media Player for Mac'. Seems kind of appropriate. :rolleyes:

This is no great loss - I have never managed to get it to play a single file anyway, and binned it ages ago in favour of VLC.