'Microsoft Health' App for Upcoming Wearable Leaks as Google Launches HealthKit Rival

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 29, 2014.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As Apple completes the launch of HealthKit and the Health app for iOS, its competitors Microsoft and Google have been preparing their own entrances into the health sector. Today, Microsoft apps for an upcoming fitness wearable have leaked in app stores as Google launched a new HealthKit-like initiative.

In July it was reported that Microsoft was working on a fitness band that would work with iOS. Now, the official app for the device, which appears to be called the Microsoft "Band", has appeared on the Mac App Store. The "Microsoft Band Sync" app, which was first discovered by WindowsCentral, appears to allow users to sync the data on their device to the app for tracking.

[​IMG]
    Another app called Microsoft Health has also been revealed for iOS and appears to include many of the same options as the "Microsoft Band Sync" app and also teases a future device called "Microsoft Band". A new privacy statement (via AppleInsider) on Microsoft's website also makes mention of Microsoft Band, Microsoft Health and Microsoft Band Sync.
    Although the "Band" doesn't appear to be a fully functioning smart watch like Apple Watch, it does signal Microsoft's desire to enter the health market and provides an alternative to the health-tracking features of Apple Watch or FitBit bands. Similarly, the Microsoft Health app offers an alternative to the health center that is the Health app, provided the user opts for the Microsoft Band.

Meanwhile, Google launched its version of the Health app for Android (via The Verge). Called Google Fit, the app tracks health goals and workout statistics and is compatible with Android Wear devices and third-party fitness trackers. Much like the Health app, Google Fit can also track walking, running and cycling without the use of external apps or fitness trackers.

Microsoft Health is a free universal app available in the App Store. [Direct Link]

Microsoft Band Sync is a free app available in the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Microsoft Health' App for Upcoming Wearable Leaks as Google Launches HealthKit Rival

2. dannyyankou, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014

dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

First office leaks, now this? Microsoft needs to hire Stephen Colbert

3. whyamihere macrumors 6502

whyamihere

This is absolutely shocking. It's just called "Band"? I would have expected a name more like "Microsoft Health Tracker and Optimization Wrist Bracelet".

4. furi0usbee macrumors 68000

furi0usbee

Wait! Remember Nintendo put out a press release a couple years back, saying they were getting in to the health market too? What ever happened to that? I think the article was on MR too...

5. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

You mean Wii fit? Lol

6. Dave532 macrumors member

Hmm. Needing a desktop app to sync their band? Seems a bit too complicated. Shouldn't it appear to 'just work' to the end user?

Also the iOS version should support HealthKit - does it?

Does it link to your CurrentC account? ;)

7. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

8. ImSoSad macrumors newbie

9. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

Nah, he's been the Clippers mascot ever since Ballmer bought them.

[​IMG]

10. TouchMint.com macrumors 68000

TouchMint.com

Snart move bc they won't be beating them. I'll be interested to see where msft stands on payments. I can see them maybe supporting apple pay? I honestly think it would be their best option.

11. richardsonrs macrumors regular

I doubt it NEEDS a desktop app to sync but it probably has both like fitbit does. It will sync to my phone or my PC if nearby it and updates either way.

12. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

13. Candlelight macrumors 6502a

Candlelight

I would just love someone to go in the other direction and release a Pizza app or something.

14. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I though his name was Stephen Coldbear.

15. ChazSch macrumors 6502

ChazSch

16. laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

When you die wearing it, does it display a BSoD?

17. tod macrumors regular

Or, Microsoft Health Tracker and Optimization Wireless Wrist Bracelet 4000 Home Edition

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Microsoft Health.

Sounds like an oxymoron to me.

19. shanson27 macrumors 65816

shanson27

20. quagski, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014

quagski macrumors member

quagski

Microsoft's UI & UX looks as good as their leak protection… horrid. Pretty creative monikers BTW :rolleyes:

21. fongkahchun86 macrumors member

fongkahchun86

Microsoft Band
    Microsoft Bing
    That's easy.