'Microsoft Health' App for Upcoming Wearable Leaks as Google Launches HealthKit Rival

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 29, 2014.

1. CFreymarc Suspended

"My Band", sounds like a competitor to Garage Band instead of fitness hardware.

2. ecrispy macrumors regular

This looks amazing and has all the features of FitBit Surge, Basis etc and a lot more functions. It has an open platform unlike closed HealthKit and will work with whatever phone I own, not just one type. This is how you do a fitness accessory, and Microsoft makes great hardware.

----------

On what basis?

3. old-school macrumors 6502

The metro UI looks more at home here than anywhere else but it does highlight just how well designed the apple watch UI is. More sophisticated, nice to look at while being useful and without being dumbed down.

4. wilhoitm macrumors 6502

OMG! OMG! OMG!

Can Microsoft and Google do anything except copycat Apple? :confused:

It's so blatantly obvious! Really? Can they?

5. FieldingMellish Suspended

What lemmings. Nobody will give a crap about a Healthkit wristband. Especially here in the States with a rising morbidly obese. Even if they wants one, what's needed is wrist extension straps.

6. baslotto macrumors regular

First Microsoft thing that I like right after reading an article.

7. NightFox macrumors 68020

NightFox

The link at the end of the article to the iOS app takes me to Word for iPad - is it not in the UK store yet?

8. Southshore macrumors member

Southshore

"Free Amazon Fire phone with every purchase of a Microsoft Band!"

$160 million inventory problem solved.

9. Tom-Create-Pro macrumors member

10. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

Apple watch more sophisticated? Said no one ever.

11. XtraSmiley macrumors regular

Watches are boring. Apple VR, that's what I'd like to see!

12. iPadCary macrumors 6502a

iPadCary

Microsoft's desperation has now become overt & embarrassing.
    If there is one company that should absolutely not be in the smartwatch game, it's them.
    The bloody thing even has the word "band" in the name ....

13. chrisbru macrumors 6502a

chrisbru

Apple Watch is more sophisticated than this Microsoft Band.

Looks like your statement is incorrect.

14. Sasparilla macrumors 65816

That was hilarious....thanks for the laugh and since Balmer owns the team he could actually do this...

15. bawbac macrumors 65816

bawbac

Care to elaborate on your statement with sophisticated facts about the Apple Watch vaporware?

16. chrisbru macrumors 6502a

chrisbru

I think you need to learn what the term vaporware means.

I've seen pictures and fashion blogs about the Apple Watch - it is definitely considered a sophisticated tech piece in the fashion world, at least significantly more so than a plan fitness band such as Microsoft Band.

Sophistication is relative, and subjective. I was merely implying that you piss off with your holier-than-though "said no one ever" comment.

17. bawbac macrumors 65816

bawbac

So if I slap a nice suit and tie on a bum off the street, then he becomes sophisticated huh?

What can the Apple Watch do that is so sophisticated?
    Where can I see it in action?

The Apple Watch IS vaporware until it's proven to be a product with the advertised features.
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vaporware

18. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Apple UI
    Sophisticated

Choose one, and only one. Sophisticated would be the last thing I would use to describe the Apple Watch UI. It along with the actual design of the watch makes it look like some crap nugget Samsung would put out.

19. jonnyb098 macrumors 68030

jonnyb098

Its already a failure since all the text is at a 90 degree angle when you look at your wrist.

Idiotic.

20. Michael Goff Suspended

Michael Goff

When did Apple make a health band?

21. chrisbru, Oct 31, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2014

chrisbru macrumors 6502a

chrisbru

"a computer-related product that has been widely advertised but has not and may never become available"

The definition you gave does not apply to the Apple Watch. It has been demo'd (Apple employees demo'd it after the keynote) and will become available with 100% certainty, an exact date just has not been released yet.

And I didn't call the Apple Watch sophisticated... I said it was more sophisticated than the Microsoft Band.

To play with your crass an ineffective analogy - a "bum" in a nice suit and tie is most likely more sophisticated than a "bum" in ratty clothes.

22. subsonix macrumors 68040

This isn't related to any health band.

23. bawbac macrumors 65816

bawbac

And I've seen manufacturers many times at CES show demo's of new technology they have implemented & they never materialize....3 years later!

You are INTERPRETING what you want to see in hopes if you repeat it enough times it will be true.

*Your dissection of sentences is horrible as well as your retort, which is lacking any facts or substance to back up your point of view.
    You might want to look in to taking some classes at your local community college.

24. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

Even though it kind of looks enticing, no thanks Microsoft. I'll wait for the Apple Watch.

25. chrisbru macrumors 6502a

chrisbru

I'll just quote back to the original comment I responded to:

I simply said you were incorrect - there are plenty of people who say that Apple Watch is more sophisticated than Microsoft Band, myself included.

To respond to your most recent reply, however - products annouced at CES and not released 3 years later are certainly vaporware. An Apple Watch announced at a keynote in September with a release date of spring 2015 is not vaporware - the original release timeframe hasn't even come yet. If it hits July 2015 and no Apple Watch, then go ahead and start calling it vaporware.

I'm not repeating anything - I'm merely looking back at the iPhone launch, the iPad launch, the Macbook Air launch, the Macbook with Retina launch, the Mac Pro launch, etc. Apple, to my knowledge, has not announced a product in the last 10 years that didn't come to be a physical product that I could buy. I don't know why this would be any different, but calling it vaporware 6 weeks after its announcement and months before its announced release timeframe is asinine.

I don't quite know why you think my dissection of sentences is poor, or why you feel the need to stoop to insulting my education (which is quite good, thank you). I'm sorry that you feel like the Apple Watch is not sophisticated, and I'm sorry that what Apple has announced about it isn't convincing enough for you to believe that it is a real product. But none of that has anything to do with the fact that your initial statement was incorrect