Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
We haven't yet made any announcements regarding support of third-party file formats, so I can't comment on this yet.

Regards,
Nadyne.

There was something about 'new users' in your previous post that appears to have disappeared. At least from me it was intended as more so new Mac users than new computer users. The ribbon is a nice tool to promote switching, if you will :D.

As for the other questions answered, you're not a beta tester? I didn't realise that; I guess that's why my specific interface bug questions get ignored :).

October is going to be great, especially seeing as I've committed to running iWork instead of Office:Mac in the meantime ... it's going to be such a relief!

nadyne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Mountain View, CA USA
As for the other questions answered, you're not a beta tester? I didn't realise that; I guess that's why my specific interface bug questions get ignored :).

As a developer of the applications, I'd never call myself a beta tester. We have a strong culture of "dogfood". Dogfood, like certain other words in the language, can be used as nearly any part of speech. It comes from "eating your own dogfood", the idea that the people who make the applications should use them too. It's a verb ("I'm dogfooding the latest version"), a noun ("did you get today's dogfood?"), an adjective ("it's not quite at dogfood quality yet), and so much more. I think that only the F-bomb is more flexible. ;)

Every day, we spin up a new build. That is, we take all of the latest code that's checked in, and we create the .dmg files for Office. This happens from the very second we start working on a new version. Once the build is "dogfood-ready", the team starts to use it for their own daily use. When we're pretty early in the project, most people use both the current version and the new version under development simultaneously. The ratio of current:new changes over time. Personally, I've been using Office:Mac 2011 as my only Office application, except for a handful of forays back to Office 2008 (generally when I'm giving an external presentation and can't show our latest work), for well over a year.

Since we haven't yet announced all of the new features of Office:Mac 2011, or areas where we've made major improvements over Office 2008, I can't yet answer a lot of questions. I'd like to answer, but I'd also like to keep on paying my mortgage, and my mortgage always wins. :) For now, suffice it to say that a lot of the concerns that have been raised in this thread won't be concerns in Office 2011.

Regards,
Nadyne.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Wow, thanks for that detailed discussion of dogfood. Pretty sure I've never seen the word so many times in such a short space :D!

And I guess you could extend that last bit a little further ... we certainly wouldn't want you to be reduced to a dogfood diet ... not that that is even all that cheap, hmmm :).

sbarrier

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2010
Any word on if Outlook 2011 will support public calendar/task lists/etc? I know that public folders are supported, but can't seem to find out anything about the other types of objects that can be stored in a public folder (calendar, task list, etc).

Any guidance that you could provide would be greatly appreciated!!

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Anybody know how to turn off the debug log that gets put on the desktop every so often with Outlook 2011?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.