Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft today announced "Send," a new app premiering exclusively on iOS that aims to give customers the simplicity of a text-message conversation in the guise of a professional e-mail experience. Specifically, the app will let users send quick, snappy responses to co-workers "without a subject line or formal email constructs."

Microsoft hopes that the app acts as a bridge between the texting and e-mail culture that can become murky when needing to reach someone quickly, but are lacking the person's phone number and wanting to avoid filtering through an e-mail app for an old thread. Send isn't for in-depth dives into an inbox, either, the app choosing to show only the messages created and sent within the app itself, sticking to its mission statement of a more threaded, iMessage-like experience.

send-app-800x746.jpg
While tools like text messaging and IM are great for short messages, you often don't have your co-worker's cell phone number or an IM app on your work phone. And we've heard loud and clear from people at work, they want all their communications available in Outlook--even if they send them from other apps. This is where Send comes in! Send gives you the simple, quick text message-like experience while allowing you to reach all co-workers and have all of your communications in Outlook for reference later.
If a user connects the app to an Office 365 School or Business account, they'll be able to pick up conversations anywhere thanks to cloud sync and Outlook. All emails sent and received within Send are also promised to comply with the various email compliance policies of companies around the country, with Microsoft promising that the messages "are treated like any other work email."

The app is available today in the United States and Canada, but only for iOS. Microsoft promises the text-message-meets-email experience of Send is "coming soon" to Windows Phone and Android phones. The company also encourages people to provide feedback on the app during YamJam on Tuesday July 28 from 9 AM to 10 AM PDT, by following the instructions at the bottom of the Send blog post.

Send [Direct Link] is available to download for free in the App Store today.

Article Link: Microsoft Introduces 'Send' iOS App for Quick, 'In-and-Out Email'

TheGreenBastard

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2012
Halifax
"Send," a new app premiering exclusively on iOS that aims to give customers the simplicity of a text-message conversation in the guise of a professional e-mail experience.

*looks at screenshots*

If that ugly UI is what "professionalism" looks like then I want no part of that atrocity. I'll stick to iMessage, thanks.

edit: It honestly looks like it was thrown together in MS Paint in 10 min. GG, MS/

Last edited:

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
First impression of those screenshots alone doesn’t look good; it looks disgusting. That headline typeface reminds me of Times New Roman. If this were any other developer, I would have passed it immediately in the App Store.

Reactions: haruhiko

Khaaaaaaaaaan

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2010
Madision, WI
Looks like if you have an Office 365 bizness account and a Microsoft Account using the same email address, it doesn't connect to the 365 one and bombs. Guess I'll be providing feedback in the YamJam session.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
*looks at screenshots*

If that ugly UI is what "professionalism" looks like then I want no part of that atrocity. I'll stick to iMessage, thanks.

edit: It honestly looks like it was thrown together in MS Paint in 10 min. GG, MS/
I agree what a monstrosity. I cannot believe it took all that time to get that far………..Oh sorry, wrong thread - I thought this was about iOS7/8.

Mrjoedot

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2012
Asean market

Microsoft today announced "Send," a new app premiering exclusively on iOS that aims to give customers the simplicity of a text-message conversation in the guise of a professional e-mail experience. Specifically, the app will let users send quick, snappy responses to co-workers "without a subject line or formal email constructs."

Microsoft hopes that the app acts as a bridge between the texting and e-mail culture that can become murky when needing to reach someone quickly, but are lacking the person's phone number and wanting to avoid filtering through an e-mail app for an old thread. Send isn't for in-depth dives into an inbox, either, the app choosing to show only the messages created and sent within the app itself, sticking to its mission statement of a more threaded, iMessage-like experience.

send-app-800x746.jpg
If a user connects the app to an Office 365 School or Business account, they'll be able to pick up conversations anywhere thanks to cloud sync and Outlook. All emails sent and received within Send are also promised to comply with the various email compliance policies of companies around the country, with Microsoft promising that the messages "are treated like any other work email."

The app is available today in the United States and Canada, but only for iOS. Microsoft promises the text-message-meets-email experience of Send is "coming soon" to Windows Phone and Android phones. The company also encourages people to provide feedback on the app during YamJam on Tuesday July 28 from 9 AM to 10 AM PDT, by following the instructions at the bottom of the Send blog post.

Send [Direct Link] is available to download for free in the App Store today.

Article Link: Microsoft Introduces 'Send' iOS App for Quick, 'In-and-Out Email'

Only in USA again???? Heck no!

1800AirTAG

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2014
After reading the comments, I figured why not put in my 2c.
Yes the app is hideous, but it does the job in a unique way and very well. For someone like me, who is on the go most of the time for work, and send 100's of emails a day, this app is coming in handy to communicate with certain people.

I read a comment about someone who said "I will stick to iMessage" - these are two completely different systems, one is email being presented as an SMS, the other is SMS (regardless that it is free with iMessage but it is still SMS).

Personally, even though not 100% there yet, but I think this app/system could go far if they point it in the right direction.

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
So is this supposed to replace Communicator or Lync? Because Communicatir can automatically store IM conversations in Outlook.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Yes, messaging and email need to merge.

No, this isn't how to do it.

I want to be able to send text to someone and not care how they get it. The program should just figure it out for me whether it should be an email or a text message or an iMessage or anything else.

Then I want that same program to receive everything. I don't want to have to check for responses in a hundred different spots.

This program should look like a messaging program.

Of those 3 things, Microsoft only nailed the last part - it does look like a messaging program. The issue is that it only handles email - it can't handle other messages.

Reactions: retep42 and Yumbo

DustinLH00

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2014
Aurora, IL
Yes, messaging and email need to merge.

No, this isn't how to do it.

I want to be able to send text to someone and not care how they get it. The program should just figure it out for me whether it should be an email or a text message or an iMessage or anything else.

Then I want that same program to receive everything. I don't want to have to check for responses in a hundred different spots.

This program should look like a messaging program.

Of those 3 things, Microsoft only nailed the last part - it does look like a messaging program. The issue is that it only handles email - it can't handle other messages.

And what criteria would be used to determine if it should be sent via SMS, iMessage, Email?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
And what criteria would be used to determine if it should be sent via SMS, iMessage, Email?

That's an implementation detail. As an end-user, I don't care. Just make it work.

As a developer who has thought about trying to make an app like this, I would say the criteria should look something like this:

- Can I reach everyone that should receive this via iMessage? Send it that way.
- Else Same as above, but SMS.
- Else Same as above, but Email.
- Else send off individual messages to everyone with the best possible way of contacting them. Might be via iMessage, or SMS, or Email.

Ideally, I'd want the app to handle more than just SMS, iMessage, and eMail - it should also handle Facebook Messages, Whatsapp messages, AIM, Jabber, Skype, etc - every way that I might try sending a message to a specific person (so not via a social network post, since those are broadcast to a huge, non-specific group of people.)

Reactions: retep42 and Yumbo

DustinLH00

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2014
Aurora, IL
That's an implementation detail. As an end-user, I don't care. Just make it work.

As a developer who has thought about trying to make an app like this, I would say the criteria should look something like this:

- Can I reach everyone that should receive this via iMessage? Send it that way.
- Else Same as above, but SMS.
- Else Same as above, but Email.
- Else send off individual messages to everyone with the best possible way of contacting them. Might be via iMessage, or SMS, or Email.

Ideally, I'd want the app to handle more than just SMS, iMessage, and eMail - it should also handle Facebook Messages, Whatsapp messages, AIM, Jabber, Skype, etc - every way that I might try sending a message to a specific person (so not via a social network post, since those are broadcast to a huge, non-specific group of people.)

I get that this would be great for the sender, but I guess I just don't get the logic that would be needed to actually make it happen. For example, you feel that iMessage should be the first priority, but that may not be true for everyone who is sending a message using this app.

Plus, I am not sure that it is great for the person receiving the message (unless everyone has this same app). I personally hate people FB messaging me instead of texting me, but others really prefer that method, etc.

Basically, I (as the recipient) have no control over how you are going to contact me because your app has decided that the best way is XXX.

Reactions: C DM
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.