Microsoft Invites Mac Users to Preview Google Calendar Support in Outlook 2016

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 13, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Microsoft has begun inviting Mac users to try its new Google Calendar and Contacts support in Outlook 2016 by downloading and installing the application from its preview site.

Up until now, many of Outlook's more advanced email features have only been available to users with an Outlook.com, Office 365 or Exchange email address. This week's global rollout means anyone with a Gmail account can take advantage of several of Outlook's advanced features, including Focused Inbox and richer experiences for travel reservations and package deliveries.

[​IMG]

Previously only available to Microsoft's Office Insider Fast Community, the new updates support all the core actions and enable anyone to add, delete, and edit events in a Google Calendar through Outlook for Mac. All changes update between the desktop software and Gmail or Outlook for iOS, ensuring everything is synced across devices.

Anyone who wants to try Outlook for Mac with their Google Account and test drive the new updates should visit the Microsoft preview website and click the Download button. This will install the latest preview version of Outlook 2016 for Mac, which can be used until June 30, 2017.

Outlook users signed up to Office 365 who want to test the features need to join the Insider Fast community, by opening Outlook, clicking Help > Check for Updates, and following these directions.

Article Link: Microsoft Invites Mac Users to Preview Google Calendar Support in Outlook 2016

2. ILikeAllOS macrumors 6502

ILikeAllOS

Why would they have Mac users test Google Calendar support instead of focusing on iCal support first?

3. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

Google calendar is cross platform. iCal isn’t.
    Stopped using iCal when I noticed the iPhone version wouldn't let you search for events over a year old, as I ended up using Fantastical on both versions. Sent feedback too Apple but they obviously didn’t get enough call for it.

4. chucker23n1 macrumors 6502

chucker23n1

iCal is absolutely cross-platform. iCloud's calendars are CalDAV.

5. sguser macrumors member

iCloud support is coming as well. The Insider Fast builds show iCloud as one of the providers when setting up a new account. But that feature doesn't seem to work yet.

6. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

CalDAV is cross platform, Outlook is cross platform. iCal is NOT.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I would think because google calendar is more universal then iCal.

8. chucker23n1 macrumors 6502

chucker23n1

Um, Calendar (née iCal) is a client. This thread is clearly about using Outlook as a client to connect to servers. Apple's server would be either macOS Calendar Server or iCloud, both of which use CalDAV.

9. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

That changes nothing.
    Outlook is cross platform or not, please answer yes or no.
    iCal is cross platform or not, please answer yes or no.

I cannot, I repeat cannot use iCal on Windows 8 regardless of what protocols it supports.

10. jadot macrumors 6502

jadot

Just like you cannot (repeat cannot) use Mac Mail in windows but you can (repeat can) collect your iCloud email messages. You're confusing client with various server protocols.

11. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

I’m not confusing anything. With Outlook, I can have the complete feature set available no matter the OS. I don’t have to mess around. It just works, if you excuse the pun.

12. chucker23n1 macrumors 6502

chucker23n1

And you cannot (repeat cannot) use Google Calendar on macOS or Windows at all, by that logic, because it's a Web app. That's clearly not what's being discussed.

13. ILikeCoffee7 macrumors newbie

ILikeCoffee7

I have the latest version of Office on my MacBook. There was an update this week.

How do I integrate my Google calendar with Outlook on my Mac?

14. 69Mustang macrumors 601

69Mustang

Here you go. From the article.

15. avanpelt macrumors 68020

You have to join the Insider program in order to access the beta version which includes this feature. Read the last sentence in the original post and click the link for details.

16. ILikeCoffee7 macrumors newbie

ILikeCoffee7

Thank you!

17. Bigsk8r macrumors 6502

Bigsk8r

I have Office 365 on my Mac Mini and iPhone. Love the implementation and looking forward to iCloud functionality being this seamless in Outlook as well.

I think since the issues of Windows versions prior to 7, Microsoft have really pulled it together and are doing some great things for users regardless of platform. And good on them for it.

18. Rigby macrumors 68040

While that is technically true, Apple unfortunately still doesn't document the CalDAV and CardDAV server URLs for iCloud (which can be different for different users). While it is possible to figure them out, this shows that they do not want to officially support access via 3rd party clients. A bit of a shame really.

19. Bigsk8r macrumors 6502

Bigsk8r

How hard is it to figure that out? I would be very curious and willing to experiment if the result could be iCloud and Google data all available thru Outlook next to my Exchange account. That would streamline a great many things for me.

20. chucker23n1 macrumors 6502

chucker23n1

This is a fair point, yes.

In any case, the original question, I'm guessing, was really something along the lines of: why is Outlook for Mac implementing Google Calendar support before iCloud support. And the answer is probably: because Google Calendar is more popular. (Is it? I have no idea.)
    --- Post Merged, Apr 13, 2017 ---
    Go to icloud.com, launch the Calendar Web app, pick a calendar on the left and click the little broadcast icon. Tick Public Calendar. A URL like this will show up:

Code:
    webcal://p04-calendarws.icloud.com/ca/subscribe/1/wqG1vFFxxxxxxxxxsVsbxySTFHZCRaB9CwbU8EEokSzfJd
    Note the p04 part. This could also be, say, p31.

Then, in your CalDAV client, connect to p04-caldav.icloud.com.

Some more details: https://maggiemcfee.com/2011/10/13/icloudical/

21. MikeAnd macrumors member

Wow, now I can combine the world's worst-designed calendar service with the world's worst-designed calendar client! What am I waiting for?

22. rhett7660, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017

rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I thought this was under Settings>Calendar>Sync>All of them? Or does it only go one year back with this selected?

23. croco_dile macrumors regular

I have joined the Insider program, downloaded the latest version. But can't see any option that allows me to integrate Outlook calender with google.

Someone help?

24. chucker23n1 macrumors 6502

chucker23n1

I had to switch to Insider Fast. I was greeted in Outlook by whether I want to sign in to Google, and the Accounts window has a new "New Account…" UI that presumably allows for this as well.

25. croco_dile macrumors regular

I signed up for Insider Faster too, and it did prompt me to download a new version of outlook. The version is 15.34 (1704110). But after lauching Outlook, there is no ask of me to sign into Google.

I already have 2 Gmail accounts setup in Outlook for my emails.