Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Microsoft Issues Office 2008, Office 2004, Open XML Converter Updates

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Microsoft today issued a handful of updates for users of the company's Office productivity suite. While much of the documentation for these releases mysteriously lists October release dates, the updates do appear to have just been issued today.

- Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.2.3 Update (349.5 MB): According to the associated support document, the update includes suite-wide security and stability updates, as well as a number of specific fixes for issues in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Entourage, and Document Connection for Mac.

- Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.5.6 Update (16.6 MB): Microsoft's notes on the update suggest that the primary focus of the small update is on security fixes, primarily flaws in Word and Excel also addressed in the Office 2008 update that could result in remote code execution.
Security is improved for all Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac applications. The Office 2004 for Mac 11.5.6 Update fixes vulnerabilities in Office 2004 that an attacker can use to overwrite the contents of your computer's memory with malicious code. For more information, see the security bulletins that are listed earlier in this document.
- Open XML File Format Converter for Mac 1.1.3 (45.1 MB): An update to Microsoft's tool that allows documents saved in the new Office 2007/2008 formats to be opened on earlier versions of Office, the support document associated with the update does not appear to specify the exact changes included in this new version of the converter software.

- Microsoft Entourage 2008 for Mac, Web Services Edition (64.4 MB): The update to Microsoft's tools allowing users to communicate with Exchange Server brings several new features to calendaring, synchronization, and logging.

Article Link: Microsoft Issues Office 2008, Office 2004, Open XML Converter Updates

Doctor Q

Contributor
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
For Office 2008 it shows me "12.2.3 Update, Type Critical".

Are they always listed as Critical? I haven't paid attention to that before.

Comment

mwp98223

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
Conway Washington
Too bad I can't get it to install on my iMac. I suspect it may have something to do with cleaning up the font library after installing Snow Leopard. After SL there were "old" MS fonts that were incompatible and needed to be removed to prevent Word from crashing. I think when Office updates it looks for changed files and assumes if something is missing you must have a bad copy. (had the same issue after removing language files from OSX) Anyone else have this issue and a solution?

Comment

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11a Safari/525.20)

I had no idea they even had an XML converter for OS X. Great to know though.

Comment

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Anyone else having long app closing times?

On both my machines with 12.2.3 and 10.6.2 installed, closing Word or Excel can take up to 10 seconds for the app to close. Often the CPU gets pegged at 100% while it's closing the app?

-Kevin

Comment

pmjoe

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
If this actually fixes the text spacing issues in Word 2008, it will only be a year too late. :rolleyes:

And fixes for the crashing using track changes. I bet nobody uses that. ;)

0.3 GB! While Word 2004 used to crash all the time, it'd just crash. Word 2008 has been the nastiest version of word I've ever had to deal with: output looks totally different than the exact same doc in other versions of Word, unexpected data corruption, etc.

Comment

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
I hope this fixes the bug in 12.2.0 where I choose to quit, save changes and then it quits unexpectedly.

Comment

Grasbak

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2006
UK
Too bad I can't get it to install on my iMac. I suspect it may have something to do with cleaning up the font library after installing Snow Leopard. After SL there were "old" MS fonts that were incompatible and needed to be removed to prevent Word from crashing. I think when Office updates it looks for changed files and assumes if something is missing you must have a bad copy. (had the same issue after removing language files from OSX) Anyone else have this issue and a solution?

I have the same issue - installation fails and doesnt give any good advice as to why!!! Sorry no solution though!

Comment

SMGreenfield

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2008
Ellensburg, CA
UH --- I just updated, and now my Entourage 2008 will no longer log into my Exchange server....

UPDATE: OK, I needed to remove "DOMAIN\" from "DOMAIN\username" in my login and it now works. But this is definitely a change from 12.2.2.

Comment
D

dsscpu

Sigh, still no support in Entourage yet for @hotmail or @live e-mail address... was really hoping for this to have a built in Office Outlook Connector...

Comment

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Anyone else having long app closing times?

On both my machines with 12.2.3 and 10.6.2 installed, closing Word or Excel can take up to 10 seconds for the app to close. Often the CPU gets pegged at 100% while it's closing the app?

-Kevin

Nope...mine closes in an instant

Comment

iAlex

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2006
FEMA District X
I have the same issue - installation fails and doesnt give any good advice as to why!!! Sorry no solution though!

Same here, install FAIL on my Mac Mini, keeps trying to download over and over, completes the download but wont install. Strangely it worked fine on my Macbook.

Comment

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Nope...mine closes in an instant

Thanks. It's very weird, often if I have Entourage open, closing other apps is instant. But if I just open Word or just Excel, then at times it will take up to 10 seconds to close the app.

With Word often I see the app windows close, and all the options in the Word menubar close EXCEPT the scripting item.

Weird that's it happening on 2 different machines for me.

-Kevin

Comment

Grasbak

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2006
UK
Same here, install FAIL on my Mac Mini, keeps trying to download over and over, completes the download but wont install. Strangely it worked fine on my Macbook.

ok so i managed to install now - i downloaded the update from the microsoft website rather that through autoupdate. Also restarted. I suspect it was the restart that sorted it.

Then tried the XML update thingy - failed!! I guess another restart is required!

Comment

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
ok so i managed to install now - i downloaded the update from the microsoft website rather that through autoupdate. Also restarted. I suspect it was the restart that sorted it.

Then tried the XML update thingy - failed!! I guess another restart is required!
Do you need the Open XML File Format Converter if you are already on Office 2008? I thought that was just to convert existing Office 2008 documents to an older format that Office 2004 and Microsoft Office X could read.

Comment

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
No, you don't need the converter if you have Office 2008. Just open and Save As... into an Office 2004-compatible format (.doc, .rtf, etc). The converter is only intended to provide forwards-compatibility to Office 2004, to allow it to "open" (ie: convert to something else, then open the something-else) files in the newer formats (.docx, .xlsx, .pptx).

As far as install failures go, firstly, if you get a failure, either restart your computer or remove any com.apple.installer*, com.microsoft.*, or "Applications" items from /tmp/. Rename them if you're not comfortable fully removing them (Microsoft has custom-hacked the installer package to all hell, as they set up a bunch of symlinks to the Office 2008 files in /tmp and then operate via the symlinks instead of the actual files/folder). The Installer creates them as temp junk as part of attempting to run the updater, and if it finds them still there due to a failure, it'll just keep failing, even if the cause of the original failure has gone away.

Generally, auto-updaters are good in theory, but will either work properly or not at all. That is, if you try to use the auto-updater and it fails, don't keep retrying. It's probably not going to go any better second or subsequent times. Save yourself the frustration, time and data and go straight to plan B: the manual download. Personally, I don't even bother with the auto-updater. Too much can go wrong too easily, and it adds an unnecessary layer of complexity for limited benefit (when updates like this come out, the entire Internet knows through news/blog sites within 24 hours, so it's not like you'll miss out on anything). I always download by hand, then install (although that could also be because I need to reuse the same updater on 500 computers), and I rarely get failures.

It may also help to repair permissions beforehand. Normally, people repairing permissions before installs are basically wasting their time, since generally the problems arise as a result of poorly configured permissions set by the installer, not out of permissions that are already set, but again, Microsoft does things differently, with a long string of somewhat paranoid checks and rechecks before the installer will do anything at all (that's why the spinning pinwheel takes ages to find your target disk).

Additionally, put Office 2008 back where it belongs: "Microsoft Office 2008" in the top-level Applications folder, with the individual apps named "Microsoft Entourage.app", etc. Renaming app names is idiotic. We're heading towards 10 years of Mac OS X, and it's time you stopped treating it like System 7.

It may also help to remove any receipts for 12.1.1 to 12.2.1 from /Library/Receipts. The 12.2.3 updater only requires 12.1, not any intermediate version.

Lastly, take a look in /var/log/install.log and /var/log/system.log. The reason will usually be in there. The installer is convoluted and unnecessarily complicated, but it does log reasonably well. I pumped out the updaters to 3 machines via ARD but they failed to transfer properly, and when the installer tried to run the incomplete installers, they obviously promptly failed. My subsequent attempts to hand-install failed and I couldn't figure out why. About 2 minutes after cracking open the log files, I found the problem mentioned in the log: the remnants of the first attempt that were left in /tmp. Cleared, retried, success.

Comment

Grasbak

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2006
UK
Do you need the Open XML File Format Converter if you are already on Office 2008? I thought that was just to convert existing Office 2008 documents to an older format that Office 2004 and Microsoft Office X could read.

:eek: good point! No I wouldnt need it!!!!!

Comment

Amdahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
As always..

As always, kudos to Microsoft for showing Mac users what real product support looks like. Office 2004 for Mac: Still supported!

Windows XP: supported until 2014.
Windows 2000: supported until 2010.

Comment

rmb7984

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
I hope this fixes the bug in 12.2.0 where I choose to quit, save changes and then it quits unexpectedly.

I had the same problem on my MacBook, but not my mini. It was because of a 2004 office settings file in the preferences folder. Google it and you should find all the info you need to fix it.

Comment

Amdahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004

Nope, real. Apple can learn a lot about reasonable time frames for security updates. Five years after last sale would be reasonable. The current 22 months is unreasonable.

Comment

glennsan

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Midwest USA
Microsoft Office for Mac Update

Is anyone having major trouble with your computer after this update? I just installed it and now the system will not respond correctly to almost any click that I perform. For example if I select the apple at upper left to try to get to force quit it shows the menu but when I move the cursor to select FQ the menu disappears. Also, the HD is making a very fast clicking sound. iStat cpu reading shows a JAVA application that is running and that is new as far as I can tell. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Edit: I have been playing around with it a little more and it looks like it is disabling the keyboard as I cannot use any keyboard command. Thanks.

Glenn

Comment

Doctor Q

Contributor
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Is anyone having major trouble with your computer after this update? I just installed it and now the system will not respond correctly to almost any click that I perform. For example if I select the apple at upper left to try to get to force quit it shows the menu but when I move the cursor to select FQ the menu disappears. Also, the HD is making a very fast clicking sound. iStat cpu reading shows a JAVA application that is running and that is new as far as I can tell. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
I've seen no problems like that. Are you having the trouble even if you restart and avoid launching Office applications, or does it happen only when you use one of the Office apps?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.