Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft today announced the launch of a preview or canary build of its Microsoft Edge browser designed for the macOS operating system.

Microsoft Edge for macOS can be installed from the Microsoft Edge Insider site on compatible Macs.

microsoftedge.jpg

Microsoft first unveiled plans to bring the Microsoft Edge browser to the Mac at its annual Build developer conference in Seattle, held on May 6. Shortly after, a canary version of the browser appeared on Microsoft's site, but it was not made officially available until today.

According to Microsoft, Edge on the Mac will be quite similar to the Edge experience on Windows, but with "user experience optimizations" to make it "feel at home on a Mac." The overall look and feel of the browser will be tailored to match "what macOS users expect" from Mac apps.

Microsoft says that the initial build available today includes several interface changes to meld the Microsoft design language with the design language of macOS.
Examples of this include a number of tweaks to match macOS conventions for fonts, menus, keyboard shortcuts, title casing, and other areas. You will continue to see the look and feel of the browser evolve in future releases as we continue to experiment, iterate and listen to customer feedback. We encourage you to share your feedback with us using the "Send feedback" smiley.
Exclusive user experiences for macOS are also coming in the future, such as "useful and contextual actions" for the Touch Bar on Touch Bar-compatible Macs. Trackpad gestures will also be supported.

To use the new macOS version of Microsoft Edge, a Mac running macOS 10.12 or later is required.

Article Link: Microsoft Launches First Microsoft Edge Preview Builds for Mac Users

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
I assume they’re spending resource on this for a good reason. Why should I use this instead of Safari or Chrome? Does Microsoft have their own bookmark sync etc? Tight interaction with OneDrive? Are they pushing users to Bing (which is ******)?

I have a Mac in corporate, but I always use Safari first, and then move to Chrome if the site is ****** coded and don’t work properly in Safari. When and why should I launch this browser?

Ken Linger

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Why should I use this instead of Safari or Chrome? Does Microsoft have their own bookmark sync etc? Tight interaction with OneDrive? Are they pushing users to Bing?

Well, perhaps the only reason for a Mac user to use it would be the syncing with Microsoft for things like bookmarks, passwords, form-data. Chrome already does this (via Google) so it's not anything new. It would be, though, a cross-platform sync for users who have both Macs and PCs and have standardized Windows on using Microsoft's browser.

However, being that this essentially Chrome, the current Mac experience is that it looks and feels like Chrome and can even use Chrome plug-ins. The syncing features aren't yet available.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
I also installed the Dev version from the link 9to5 supplied a couple weeks ago. It was updated a couple days ago as part of the package of updates I got when updating Office 365. It is now at Dev Build 76.0.161.0

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I've had this installed for a couple of weeks, but rarely launch it. YET, I'm notified that updates get installed. I never gave it permission to install updates automatically, and there doesn't seem to be any way to turn that off. Typical Microsoft... a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Netniks

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2003
Ohio
Anyone remember Bill Gates’ giant head floating above the stage of MacWorld ’97, where Steve made IE the default browser on the Mac in exchange for a non-voting investment by Microsoft? I don't know the market share of Chrome OS, but embedded systems companies should stick together to keep providing choice and better browser performance. I don’t know if Edge will survive as my primary browser, but I’m glad that the macOS is the recipient of high-quality application development.

Reactions: orbital~debris

Bawstun

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Have to say, I've been using it almost exclusively for about a week now, and I really like its performance.

That’s because literally every other browser available on Mac or iOS is better than Safari.

All of them.

Firefox is BLAZINGLY fast on iOS with their new under the hood improvements.

Dolphin Browser

Opera Touch

Opera

Chrome

I mean take your pick. Safari is default installed, featureless-garbage. ‍♂️

Reactions: wolfshades

Ken Linger

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Have to say, I've been using it almost exclusively for about a week now, and I really like its performance.
Yeah, its not bad. The hardest part for me is the lack of 1Password integration. That is, 1Password-X works but doesn't tie into the desktop app. The Chrome plugin for 1Password DOES install but can't find the app on the Mac (nor would it probably work due to it being an unauthorized browser). This would likely change.

Reactions: tivrick

Chrome262

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2013
Just because we're Apple fans doesn't mean you have to hate Google. I use Chrome first, Safari second because I am forced to use a PC at work and need something cross-platform.
mainly for their data policy, believe it or not MS and Apple are probably better in taking care of your data then Google only in the fact that they aren't invested in making money off of your data. Apple has on numerous occasions gone agains law in keeping them from gaining access, MS has done the same. And, Safari and other browsers do a better job than Chrome it turning off cross site tracking and sharing cookies. On Mac Chrome is a huge memory hog. might be the same for MS not sure.

jdclifford

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
I've been using developer version for a few weeks now. For the most part I like in better than Safari. No particular reason; just a general feeling of a smoother experience.

moabal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
Yeah, its not bad. The hardest part for me is the lack of 1Password integration. That is, 1Password-X works but doesn't tie into the desktop app. The Chrome plugin for 1Password DOES install but can't find the app on the Mac (nor would it probably work due to it being an unauthorized browser). This would likely change.

Waiting on that fix too!

WB2Colorado

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2008
Durango, Colorado
I've had this installed for a couple of weeks, but rarely launch it. YET, I'm notified that updates get installed. I never gave it permission to install updates automatically, and there doesn't seem to be any way to turn that off. Typical Microsoft... a wolf in sheep's clothing.
Edge installs updates automatically, same as Chrome. Microsoft just has the courtesy to tell you they’re doing it.

Reactions: martyjmclean

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I assume they’re spending resource on this for a good reason. Why should I use this instead of Safari or Chrome? Does Microsoft have their own bookmark sync etc? Tight interaction with OneDrive? Are they pushing users to Bing (which is ******)?

I have a Mac in corporate, but I always use Safari first, and then move to Chrome if the site is ****** coded and don’t work properly in Safari. When and why should I launch this browser?

One thing this article doesn't mention (but maybe you already know this) is that the new Edge browser is based on Chromium. So it is essentially Chrome, but without the Google stuff and telemetry. Of course it will be tailored for Microsoft, and have their own bookmark sync. I would much rather install and use Edge on my Mac rather than Chrome. (Still using Safari first though.)

chiinkwia

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2019
If u area Mac user why would want to load a pos Microsoft browser that is probably buggy(generally are)prone to viruses (generally are) and prone to allow in hackers(definitely are)?

No thanks been there done that.NEVER AGAIN!

Reactions: Solomani

Ken Linger

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
In response to some of those who asked "why use a Microsoft browser on a Mac?" perhaps the best reason is "history."

That is, it has often been the case that MS has some development tool that builds a site hosted on MS servers that "requires" the current MS browser (originally IE, now Edge, eventually Chromium-Edge). Many of us remember banks and other sites that wouldn't worked EXCEPT on Windows, IE 6.1sp2, etc. Having a version of Edge for the Mac "may" alleviate some of that pain if it manifests itself again (but no guarantee, either).

Reactions: orbital~debris
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.