Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Microsoft Launches New Office Apps for iPhone, Makes Creating and Basic Editing Free on iOS

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in March, Microsoft launched dedicated Word, Excel, and PowerPoint apps for the iPad in a first effort to bring Office capabilities to everyone, everywhere. The apps have been highly successful, garnering more than 40 million downloads, and as of today, Microsoft is expanding its Office for iOS suite, offering dedicated Word, Excel, and PowerPoint apps on the iPhone.

While Microsoft's Office apps for the iPhone have been designed with the existing iPad apps in mind, offering full feature parity, the iPhone versions have been built to adapt to the iPhone's smaller interface and optimized to put touch controls first.

All three apps take advantage of an innovative "vertical ribbon" that puts a full suite of editing tools right within thumb's reach at the bottom of the device's screen. Each individual app also has built-in tools to make the viewing experience more streamlined on the iPhone's Retina screen.

Word for iPhone, main view and review changes view
In Word, there's a Reflow button (located at the top menu bar) that shifts to a mobile-optimized view for reading and previewing what's been added to a document, and in Excel, Microsoft has focused on making it simple to edit formulas. Tapping on a cell brings up editing buttons and a dedicated formula keyboard.

Excel has a fullscreen view that lets users have an unobstructed view of their spreadsheets, and PowerPoint has similar tools, including the ability to project slides from the iPhone using AirPlay.

Excel for iPhone, main view and Pivot Table view​
Today's Office update that brings Microsoft's popular productivity apps for the iPhone also includes new features and functionality for the iPad versions.

In addition to expanding its Office apps to the iPhone and updating its iPad apps, Microsoft has also decided to offer the core Office experience on the iPhone and iPad to all users for free. That means Office users will no longer be required to have an Office 365 subscription in order to access features like basic editing.

Word, Excel, and PowerPoint users on iOS will be able to view, edit, create, and print documents for free, but many advanced editing capabilities will still be reserved for Office 365 subscribers. For example, advanced change tracking features in Word such as accepting or rejecting changes are reserved for subscribers, as are Pivot Tables in Excel and Presenter View in PowerPoint. Office 365 subscribers also get 1TB of OneDrive storage.

Microsoft's Office apps for the iPhone are compatible with the iPhone 5, 5c, 5s, 6, and 6 Plus, and include full optimization for the two larger-screened iPhones. iOS 7 or later is required.

Since releasing Office for iPad in March, Microsoft has added 150 new features. Microsoft's Principal User Experience Manager Han-yi Shaw told MacRumors that the company will continue to aggressively add features in the future, and it is investigating new iOS 8 technologies like Handoff.

Microsoft's updated apps, which are now universal, will be available today from the App Store.

- Microsoft Word [Direct Link]
- Microsoft Excel [Direct Link]
- Microsoft PowerPoint [Direct Link]

Article Link: Microsoft Launches New Office Apps for iPhone, Makes Creating and Basic Editing Free on iOS

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Why would I want such a limited Office experience?

If there's any reason to go with Microsoft Office over any other solution it's that it's the closest to the set Microsoft standard for obvious reasons.

The basic features mentioned here and then some I get anywhere else anyways...

I mean it's still a free app, but to me this is just clogging my device's valuable storage for free.

I can't believe I have to explain my words, but here you go: Link

Glassed Silver:mac

Last edited:
Comment

PinkyMacGodess

macrumors 603
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Great. Another bloated app that won't do much except take up space on my iPhone/iPad, and demand money to work. I'm getting so tired of 'in app purchases'...

Comment

ajguckian

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Hudson Valley
Despite being "limited" I still appreciate the fact that they are doing something to be cross platform. I'm all in with Apple for personal computers and portable devices, but I still spend enough time (work) dealing exclusively with Microsoft that these offerings are quite useful.

Comment

PhiLLoW

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2014
Hated their subscribtion based model when they have been released.

Realized how fantastic google docs and apple's pages are.

No need to pay or step down to a limited experience.

Comment

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2010

I mean it's still a free app, but to me this is just clogging my device's valuable storage for free.

Great. Another bloated app that won't do much except take up space on my iPhone/iPad, and demand money to work. I'm getting so tired of 'in app purchases'...

Jeez, there's no pleasing some people.

We're talking about free and open compatibility here - this update will be a great solution for people who are migrating from PCs. And for those who aren't, basic editing directly in these apps will save having to go through Pages and exporting a DOC/XLS/PPT file. This can only be a positive move to speed up workflows. Not everyone who requires Office needs top-end features.

And I should also add that this update brings the suite to an entire new level of productivity, making iWork look amateur by comparison. Apple really need to step up their game with the handling of iCloud and the U.I.

Last edited:
Comment

macnisse

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
Sounds good, might be worth checking out as an option for basic editing/review of docs on the way to/from work.

Comment

xDKP

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark

For some (myself included) this is pretty good!

I create a lot of presentations on my work pc and would love to take them to present via the iPad. The ability to correct last minute spell errors etc are a welcome addition

Comment

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
There are a lot of people who have to use Office for work. This is a value add for all those people because they can have access while on the go. It's not very hard to figure out. Just because you're not the target user doesn't mean it's bad.

Comment

FoundAHalo

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Well I for one am happy about this!

Good that they've finally replaced the lackluster Office for iPhone app, with something that makes working with Office docs doable.

Comment

CB1234

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Since I first get MBP 5 years ago, I have always used iWork and have never felt I missed Documents, Excel or Powerpoint....

I do not see any use for these on my iOS or OS..

It should be good for PC users who are migrating to OS X and iOS system...

Comment

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
There are a lot of people who have to use Office for work. This is a value add for all those people because they can have access while on the go. It's not very hard to figure out. Just because you're not the target user doesn't mean it's bad.

Just use Pages and Keynote and export as the Office equivalent. The way I see it, Pages is as good as Word but much, much easier to use. Numbers is not as good as Excel and Keynote is considerably better than Powerpoint and still much easier to use.

Comment

nfl46

macrumors 604
Oct 5, 2008
Is Word and Powerpoint available in the App Store? I downloaded the Office Mobile app, click on Word and Powerpoint and it says that its only available on the iPad - but Excel downloaded fine (Nov 6th update).

Comment

Q-Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
I'm guessing this means not very many iOS users were paying for the subscription?

Comment

FoundAHalo

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Is Word and Powerpoint available in the App Store? I downloaded the Office Mobile app, click on Word and Powerpoint and it says that its only available on the iPad - but Excel downloaded fine (Nov 6th update).

Interestingly, it seems that currently, the links "for iPhone" from the Microsoft site actually point to the iPad equivalent.

Comment

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place

If there's any reason to go with Microsoft Office over any other solution it's that it's the closest to the set Microsoft standard for obvious reasons.

The basic features mentioned here and then some I get anywhere else anyways...

Glassed Silver:mac

Not really sure what there is to complain about. If you don't download it, how will the app just being available clog/take up space on your devices? It's not like this is the U2 download.:D

As with everything, some will find it useful and some won't. It's free for those who want it. But to complain about it taking up space on your device when you could, I don't know, not download it, seems a little like complaining just to complain.:confused:

Last edited:
Comment

Ed217

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Virginia
The first thing you find out after downloading and installing this is that it doesn't work at all on iPhones. Its an iPad only product.

Comment

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
I raised my brows a bit when it said free and I didn't need the subscription as all I do on my phone is basic on-the-go creating/editing from time to time so it's welcome here.

And as far as space, it's 48mb so that isn't too large. I was expecting Gigs.

It would have been nice to see them to allow to fit to the iPad as well but something is better than nothing.

Comment

nfl46

macrumors 604
Oct 5, 2008
The first thing you find out after downloading and installing this is that it doesn't work at all on iPhones. Its an iPad only product.

Excel works on the iPhone. Powerpoint and Word doesn't from the looks of it...iPad only.

Comment

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I despise the rental model, but I think this is small step in the right direction.

Comment

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
A little off topic, but I wish they would offer a standalone version of office for Mac. Don't want to pay a monthly fee for software!

They do. And they are going to for the next version too, albeit a little later in the year (next year).

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.