Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

111635-zune_family_500.jpg

Microsoft today officially launched the Zune HD, the company's next-generation touchscreen media player designed to compete directly against Apple's iPod touch. Originally announced in May, the Zune HD is available in 16 GB ($219.99 in black) and 32 GB ($289.99 in platinum) capacities.
Zune HD marks a significant step forward for portable media players, combining powerful hardware components such as an organic light-emitting diode (OLED) multitouch screen, an NVIDIA Tegra HD processor and HD Radio capabilities with software advancements such as the new Quickplay menu, a well-featured Web browser, and engaging music and video playback features to deliver a new portable listening and viewing experience. Quickplay is a new signature menu for Zune, putting customers one touch away from the content they love, such as favorites, last played items and media most recently added, eliminating the need to dig through menus to find the music, videos, pictures or podcasts they want.
Microsoft has also confirmed that the company will be adding games and other applications to the Zune Marketplace for use on the Zune HD.
Later this year, Zune plans to release free applications such as Twitter for Zune and Facebook for Zune, in addition to fun 3-D games such as "Project Gotham Racing: Ferrari Edition," "Vans Sk8: Pool Service" and "Audiosurf™ Tilt." Games can be added to Zune HD via Zune Marketplace over the Wi-Fi connection or when connected to the Zune PC software.
Wired offers a first-look review of the new device, finding it a worthy competitor to the iPod touch with solid potential, but in need of additional features such as Mac support, greater video offerings, and of course a robust application store.

Article Link: Microsoft Launches Zune HD

macandipodfan

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2008
Doesn't look too good for me. I'd rather have an iPod Touch any day.

I wonder how well it'll sell.

Comment

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
Missing a camera and another step behind the big apple. Although, the OLED screen looks very clear and bright; a noticable improvement over the competition.

Comment

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
This has been rumored for months hasn't it?

Cause I swear I have seen it before...

Comment

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009
Funny how this significant step forward only has one thing to offer the touch/iphone doesn't. The oled screen.

I think i'll stick with my iPhone and be happy.

Comment

dvkid

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2006
Funny how this significant step forward only has one thing to offer the touch/iphone doesn't. The oled screen.

And HD radio. Even the Nano only has FM. Though if you've got an iPhone the need for a radio receiver is null.

Comment

Angelchild

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2009
OLED screen are NOT better than LCD from the battery perspective and are bad with blacks if you are at open air.

Read this ---> From oled to tegra: five myths of the zune hd.

Oled, tegra, ecc..all things that are only marketing 'cause without "booming words" ms can not compete neither with its 1,1%.

Uh...and no real innovation.

In just one word: microsoft.

Comment

jglavin

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2006
I just wish HD radio wasn't proprietary. Hopefully it is eventually opened or superseded by an open standard.

Comment

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Looks slick.

Hopefully they sell enough of them to cause Apple to take notice and feel a little threatened.

I'll probably stop by a Best Buy this week to play with one.

Comment

Perrumpo

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
These are some odd price points.

I think most people will go for the $199 Touch, even if it is only 8GB.

Comment

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
The Nvidia Tegra chipset used in the Zune HD really isn't anything special. it has two ARM11 cores running at ~600mhz (Which is not even as fast as the single Cortex-A8 core in the iPhone 3GS/iPod Touch V3). No one knows the specifics of the GPU yet, but I'd be surprised if it was much faster than the PowerVR SGX535 in the 3GS/Touchv3.

Similarly, Apple's samsung chipset is readily capable of playing back HD 720P video. It is Apple that is limiting the 3GS to standard definition and stupid analog video out. I love my iPhone 3GS, but I'm really surprised It can't playback HD video, and even more surprised It doesn't have a digital output for connecting HDMI to a TV.

Comment

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
This would have been great if MS did it like Windows--spy, rip off, and release before Apple.

However, this is just a good try in the same direction a couple years later and behind the innovator. Still, in years to come this Zune will probably catch up and mimic the iPT fairly precisely within a couple months of new iPT releases.

Comment

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
How is it another step behind Apple? The Zune's internals are way ahead of Apple at this stage.

Because just like the gift that keeps getting repackaged every year at Christmas and given to a new family member... Apple has the prettiest packaging.

What do I mean by that? Apple hasn't done anything significant hardware wise in years they just keep making things prettier.

Comment

Shasterball

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
Easy fanboys. This is pretty cool, although it needs to catch up regarding e.g., app store.

But I like the competition. I like it a lot.

Comment

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Wow, that's probably the best looking Zune yet. It'd be great if it actually provided some competition to Apple... they have a tendency to get stagnant.

Still, I think I'll stick with my iPod touch :D

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.