Microsoft: Mac buyers pay Apple Tax

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rasmasyean, Oct 16, 2008.

1. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

"It's really a definition now between choosing something that is limited, and somebody chooses for you, basically the 'i' way, or actually taking it to a much broader scope, which is 'your' way, and defining it through Windows, and the experience that comes with the tens of thousands of partners that build applications, services, and content for the Windows platform every day,"
    Microsoft: Mac buyers pay Apple tax

Discuss...:)

2. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

That's quite a strange way to market your product. It's basically the same thing Republicans are doing to Obama-trying to convince the public that the other choice is too risky. Strange way to promote computer software. That guy has a really confusing way to phrasing things. It's a shame that their logic is just wishful thinking. People definitely know what they get from Windows. Who isn't familiar with Windows? That's lunacy!

3. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Increasing marketshare means more software developed for the Macs. We already have EA making Mac-compatible games. And Blizzard has never shunned us (at least, none that I can recall). Particularly in notebook computing.

By the way, Microsoft, your Windows Life Without Walls commercials, I seriously want to hit that psychiatrist. Hard.

4. Evangelion macrumors 68040

This is what Linux-users have been saying for YEARS! The only difference is that they are saying "PC-users are paying the Microsoft-tax", when they are forced to buy a Windows-license, even though they have no intention of using Windows.

That's another thing that Linux-users have been saying for years: "In a world without walls, who needs Windows or Gates?".

It seems that Microsoft is copying from the Linux-community ;).

5. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

Oh come on Micro$oft... Try to get off your high horse and be a little bit realistic. You don't become one of the richest companies ever without turning a tidy profit with your own handy Micro$oft-tax.

What a load of crap lol... I can find, with a simple google search, loads of computers that start off with a baseline price higher than the Mac Pro. And conveniently forgetting context (standard 8-core config), part-for-part the Mac Pro is actually fairly good value. But I guess it's easy to be blase about it hey... I'd like to read an article covering Micro$oft-Tax. Oh...

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...is-50-according-to-dell-linux-pc-pricing.html
    http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2007/03/03/cost-of-windows-tax-calculated
    http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2006/110706-dell-windows.html
    http://www.linux.com/articles/59381

6. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

But think of what you'll save in the long run? Not to mention just on your phone bill alone.

7. nick9191 macrumors 68040

And this is coming from a company that prints CD's for $0.10 each and sells them for $400.

8. djellison macrumors 68020

Just because it's come from Microsoft, people are saying it's not true.

I've been saying there's an Apple tax for some time. Seriously - look at the price of the new MB. >£1k. If it were a Sony or a Dell - it would be about 1/3rd less than that, for an equal specification, and probably with better display angles and higher resolution.

I call it OSX tax. It's real. It exists. And we all pay it.

Doug

9. djellison macrumors 68020

So does Apple with all it's pro apps. So does Adobe. So does Autodesk. So does every major software manufacturer. Why should Microsoft be any different?

10. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I know. The point is that Microsoft is critiscising Apple when they in fact do the same thing.

And for the down payment on a house you pay for Microsoft Office, a text editor, a slideshow, and a spreadsheet, for a couple hundred more you could buy Final Cut Studio and get some real work done.

11. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

These guy's have to be straight off of 'The Office'.

Does this guy really believe what he says?

12. djellison macrumors 68020

You're talking about something totally different. The tax they are talking about is that you can pay £1100 for a Macbook, or £700 for a similarly specificed Vaio or Dell. Alternatively, a £1700 MBP, when a £1000 Vaio or Dell will be BETTER equiped (high res screen, Blu-ray drive, SD card reader, DL-DVI built in without needing £70 adaptors etc etc). The £400-700 difference, that 30% hike is OSX tax. You don't pay it with XP/Vista.

Doug

13. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

Why does everything thread on MR have to turn political? I'm so sick of this long drawn out election that it can't end quick enough for me. And it doesn't matter who wins, imho, both will suck at the job.

14. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

What if "my" way doesn't include being defined by Windows? I'm not saying I like Apple for locking me down, but at least my experience has been they're giving me a much more stable platform. Honestly, it can be such a pain to try and buy a PC without Windows. These days its much easier to get a computer without an OS or with Linux installed, but usually your options are limited. The majority of PC sellers don't give you an option to order an arbitrary computer without Windows, forcing you to pay upfront for a license and then jump through hoops to try and get it refunded. News flash: both M$ and AAPL want you to buy only their stuff and will do their best to lock you in for as long as possible.

15. foidulus macrumors 6502a

Are they even aware of what the Microsoft tax is?

Basically if you don't build your own PC, but instead buy one from the major manufacturers, you are forced to pay for windows even if you don't use it(ie install Linux right away). This is totally different. If you don't want a mac, don't buy a mac! Its not like Apple is the only one selling computers....

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That's why you buy a Dell N Series. They've been around longer then you think.

17. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

Microsoft Tax:

- Buy anti-virus software
    - Buy "iLife" type software package
    - Don't get to use all 4GB RAM in 32-bit editions

18. TstAllTruth macrumors newbie

MacTax?

It's been my experience that MACs have always been more expensive than PCs. However, the reasons that has been so, might be that Apple has consistently invested more in quality and innovation with respect to their hardware, software [and the smooth integration of the two] than most any other PC manufacturers were willing to do.

Now that MACs are running Intel CPUs though, one would think that Apple would begin cutting prices just a bit to remain competitive with the PC marketplace -- especially in THIS economy.

19. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually, I think one would be a fool to believe that Mac's are immune to attacks.
    I believe Windows Live is like the same thing.
    I think most manufacturers would ship 64-bit with 4 GB+ computers. If not, then I guess that's pretty dumb.

20. djellison macrumors 68020

And when you buy a Mac, you are forced to pay for OSX even if you don't use it.

Doug

21. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

What you are talking about is <Insert Major Manufacturer Here> Tax. That's the cost of buying something pre-packaged. You can get "blank" systems, which don't usually come with the same support and it's sort of like build-your own because you are "designing" it from an "uncertified/untested" fashion.

But, you might say..."OMG, that's a NewEgg Tax! I have to pay for that video card even though I'm going to replace it!"...which is equivalent of what you are saying about windows on a Dell, etc.

If you don't want any "Tax", then you build your own, or have a custom builder make one...but then they might charge for service.

22. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

100% True. The more I use both, the more I realise it.

23. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Did I pay a premium for all of my Apple products? Yes.

Am I so wealthy I don't care what I spend? No.

Am I so poor that I have to count every penny? No.

So why did I pay more for Apple?

Because I find the value it offers me worth the higher price it commands. The OS is elegant. The application software is elegant. The hardware is elegant. The experience of buying it is elegant. The experience of supporting it is elegant.

Is all that worth an extra 25% or so over equivalent PC hardware from a Wintel brand I trust? Yes.

I've used Windows for almost 25 years - I bought Windows 1.0 in December of 1985 and have owned and used every single version Microsoft has released.

I bought my first Mac in 2000 - a Pismo G3 PowerBook - but I never used it. Seriously. I ended up giving it to a friend as payment for services. My first Mac was a MacBook in May 2006. I "switched" in mid-2007 with the launch of the Al iMac and I have never looked back.