Microsoft Office 2008 Delayed Until January 2008

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft announced that Office 2008 for the Mac will be delayed until January of 2008.

Despite its name, the newest version of Microsoft Office was due for the Mac in "the second half of 2007." Lingering bugs were cited as the reason for the delay:
"It really is just a quality issue across the board," Craig Eisler, general manager of Microsoft's Macintosh business unit, said in an interview Wednesday.
Other factors blamed for the delay included the switch to Intel combined with a change in Office file formats. "It was no one thing. "This release was harder than most just because of all those things happening at once."

As a result, the launch of Office 2008 is expected at Macworld Expo 2008 in San Francisco.

Article Link

aLoC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2006
That's not too long to wait. I just hope that when's it's released it will be Leopard-ready. I would hate to have waited so long for it to be 10.4 only.

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
My hope is that this is motivated by the need for full Visual Basic functionality making the whole thing less of a dead duck.

MRU

Suspended
Aug 23, 2005
Other
bill gates doesn't care about mac people.
A rather asenine comment if there ever was one. :rolleyes:

iLife, iWork, Leopard! Adobe CS3! All were delayed from their original exepected release dates. These things happen.

astranovus

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2007
This is the end of the wait for me.

I'm getting so sick of my sluggish Office 2004.

I've been playing around with Open Office under X11 and it's more than usable.

By January 2008, Open Office Aqua, which runs natively under Tiger should be ready, so I reckon that this is the way forward.

Microsoft obviously doesn't care about Mac anymore. This and the shocking MSN client without cam support just stinks.

MRU

Suspended
Aug 23, 2005
Other
By January 2008, Open Office Aqua, which runs natively under Tiger should be ready, so I reckon that this is the way forward.
Well since Open Office have been promising a native aqua version for what must be over a year at this stage (since neooffice already supply one) then I wouldn't hold your breath for them to hit their release schedule either.

aLoC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2006
Microsoft obviously doesn't care about Mac anymore.
I think they do care. According to the Article 20% of the money spent on Office in the US is the Mac version, up from 4% in 2001. They are taking longer because they're getting used to Universal Binaries. Messenger and Remote Desktop are both UB now, but Office is the big fish. I still want them to bring Media Player back.

AppleMatt389

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Australia
this microsoft 2008 better be worth it. anything will be a nice update from 2004 but the whole ribbon would have been nice. we'll see what happens. august 7 looks much more promising.;)

astranovus

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2007
Well since Open Office have been promising a native aqua version for what must be over a year at this stage (since neooffice already supply one) then I wouldn't hold your breath for them to hit their release schedule either.
very true, but considering that open office is free, i am more than willing to wait a bit longer,

it's embarrassing that OO already offers office 2007 support, whilst Office 2004 doesn't,

i know there are beta converters, but it's tedious if they aren't built into the office suite

neooffice is a viable alternative, but it's a bit slow, as it relies quite heavily on java stuff

japanime

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Ever since I switched to an Intel Mac, I've been using NeoOffice -- and have been plenty happy with it. In fact, I find it just as pleasant to use as Office for Mac (which I used when I was still on a PowerPC Mac).

This is a serious question for those of you out there who might know better than me: Is there a reason I shouldn't be satisfied with NeoOffice and will want to buy Office 2008 when it comes out?

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
well what can I say. Microsoft at its best, Mac BU or not. They've had four years to beef this one up
Well really only 2 years since Apple announced their switch to Intel June 2005. That really changed everything for Mac Office Development.

Shagrat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
London
My hope is that this is motivated by the need for full Visual Basic functionality making the whole thing less of a dead duck.
As I understand it MS have already ruled out VB being ported to Intel Macs, thus causing some grief for all you Mac Office macro users.

I heard that some were suggesting that Real Basic could be modded to fulfil the role that VB has played.

Of course this was a while back, and things might have changed, but i thought that VB was a dead duck for Office 2008 for Mac.

sas76

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2006
Australia
Other options ?

I have never heard of "Open Office Aqua" or "NeoOffice". ( I am searching a soon as I finish this post ).

What are the other options to office ? pro's / con's

Cheers
ss

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
2008 can't come fast enough, I feel like by january I'll have a whole new computer all over again! New OS, new iLife, new Office suite.. really, what's left?

garethh

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2006
UK
I do hope they use the time to make Entourage fully Exchange compliant. My uni email is being transferred to Exchange very soon and if I have to use Entourage, I hope it works more reliably than other people I know here have found it.

Actually, I wish Apple made Mail and iCal fully Exchange compliant. That would be much better.