Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Royale w/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Well since Open Office have been promising a native aqua version for what must be over a year at this stage (since neooffice already supply one) then I wouldn't hold your breath for them to hit their release schedule either.

I thought the have been promising an aqua version for WELL over a year. :rolleyes:

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Hmmm wheres that person from the Microsoft Mac BU that is on these boards, I know your out there somewhere, these evils are for you: :mad:

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
bill gates doesn't care about mac people.

Last I heard, there were only 2 products that actually make a profit for MS - MS Windows and MS office. All their other products either lose money or mostly break even (IIRC). So MS is NOT gonna jeopardize one of its only 2 products that actually makes money by letting even a minor segment of it go un-updated. More than that, if MS products aren't cross-compatible then they lose a lot of the only thing that keeps them in business - their monopoly.

DHUK

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2005
iWork

I'm just hoping the upcoming iWork upgrade may be enough for me to pass on MS Office when I finally buy a Mac in August. I just need a decent word processor and occasional-use spreadsheet which is compatible with Excel. I use MS Office in the work place, but rarely use it for 'fun stuff' at home.

MacQuest

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
You See Dead People...
I have never heard of "Open Office Aqua" or "NeoOffice". ( I am searching a soon as I finish this post ).

What are the other options to office ? pro's / con's

Cheers
ss

The biggest "pro" is that you don't support miCrapsoft, and instead support Open Source.

The biggest "con" is miCrapsoft itself.

Morky

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
NYC
Entourage and Exchange

I think Craig has heard the feedback loud and clear about Exchange support for Entourage being the #1 request and is working to do something about it. I read his blog and he seems to understand.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Last I heard, there were only 2 products that actually make a profit for MS - MS Windows and MS office. All their other products either lose money or mostly break even (IIRC).

Their server stuff makes money too. Quite a lot in fact.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Admittedly I know nothing about software development, and Apple is yet to release their (expected) iLife and iWork updates, but this does seem a little slack on M$ part. Perhaps they need to hire some more personnel for mac development.

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
I can't wait for the universal binary. Word '04 makes the fans on my MB scream like you wouldn't believe. And it's so SLOW! Anything doc containing images and it's beach ball of death while i scroll around :( . I am seriously considering moving to oo.

J Radical

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2006
People shouldn't be so harsh on MS. Office is a HUGE app that is being ported to a different platform with a new processor.

The quality of Office 2004 is a testimony to their dedication to the mac, it is probably better than its windows counterpart: 2003. It should also be noted that MS's dev process involves getting feedback from users, the developers actually blog! Compared to Apple's CIA secrecy it is a breath of fresh air.

So give them a break! Apple needs office more than office needs apple! If your stuck for a productivity suite check out open office/neo office. Whenever they get round to building a native version of this open source app MS will have a good deal of competition.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Apple announced its transition to Intel processors in June 2005. Microsoft has had over two years to get a universal binary of its suite converted over to the Intel architecture. Every other major application on the Mac has been converted to a UB, except Microsoft. It's embarrassing for the world's largest software developer to be last to this game.

Honestly, I feel that this proves just how lethargic and asleep at the switch Microsoft is right now. Vista's been a disappointment, even though it's sold well only because people buying new computers are forced to get it. Microsoft Office 2004 has a load a problems. One that especially annoys me as a network administrator is the way it behaves with network home directories.

Come January it better be ready and better work pretty damn good.

brygruver

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2007
Who Cares?

From what I understand Office is still the best selling piece of software for the Mac and that makes me sick.

I recently trashed my Office 04. It was dog slow compared to the rest of my apps. If Microsoft can't update their software to a Universal Binary then they definitely don't deserve my money for 2008. Yes, I understand that Adobe did the same for Photoshop, etc, but they had a lot more to convert / rewrite. Besides, it's hard to replace the entire Adobe Creative Suite. I now use either textedit, Pages, or Google Documents to open my word files and I use Google Spreadsheets to open the occasional excel file. I can't tell you when the last time I had to use a spreadsheet. There are sooooooo many other pieces of specialized math/calculating/accounting software out there, spreadsheets are obsolete. The only time I have to open an excel file is when someone creates a document in a spreadsheet because they don't know any better.

Use Keynote instead of Powerpoint and the only application you then have to replace is entourage, which I've never used.

Let's get Pages and Keynote on the Windows Platform and give MS Office a run for it's money.

nsbio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
NC
An epitaph

"It really is just a quality issue across the board,"

This should be placed on their start page today and engraved on their tombstone a few years down the road.

Voltayre

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2007
Re: NeoOffice/OpenOffice... the word processor is fine, but their spreadsheets are dodgy and the less said about the slideshow/presentation package the better. Fortunately of course we do have Keynote, which is lovely (and I'm speaking as someone who lived and worked for years with PowerPoint and actually quite likes it).

Re: Office 2008... I'd be rather less brassed off about yet another trademark delay if Microsoft were able to release a patch like they did for Office 2000/XP/2003 on Windows that gave Office 2004 the ability to open docx/xlsx/pptx files. Their "drag-and-drop" utility is a) awkward to use and b ) has never worked successfully for me on any file I've tried it with.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
Bad news for college students, then!

*Downloads NeoOffice to accompany my tortoise-speed copy of Microsoft Office 2004*

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
Personally I don't care how long the delay is, I think the new U.I. is absolutely sh*t ... :) (that's assuming it is the same as Office 2007 for the PC) Yuuuuk.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
perhaps this means i'tll be bug free upon release...
oh wait, never mind.

its a shame that its taking them so long. i mean Adobe was able to release their new package sooner! and they had a LOT more to do imo.

Voltayre

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2007
Personally I don't care how long the delay is, I think the new U.I. is absolutely sh*t ... :) (that's assuming it is the same as Office 2007 for the PC) Yuuuuk.

It isn't:

mw07_ms01.jpg

office2008.jpg

It's like a cross between Office 2007 on Windows and Office 2004 on Mac. Personally I quite like the Office 2007 ribbon interface, anyway... it makes editing certain types of document much quicker and cleaner, and it's much easier for Office newbies to get to grips with than the classic Office plethora of menus and hidden options buried deep within arcane control panels.

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
It isn't:

mw07_ms01.jpg

office2008.jpg

It's like a cross between Office 2007 on Windows and Office 2004 on Mac. Personally I quite like the Office 2007 ribbon interface, anyway... it makes editing certain types of document much quicker and cleaner, and it's much easier for Office newbies to get to grips with than the classic Office plethora of menus and hidden options buried deep within arcane control panels.
I'm glad to hear that .... :)

I installed Office 2007 running through parallels on my Mac Mini just to see what it was like ...... Sorry I think the new user interface is grim.

Gav

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
Oh noes!! Office 2008 isn't going to be released until... 2008?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.