Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It's not an atrocity and not meant to compete on the same level of MS Office. And Keynote is really good, some even prefer it over PPT.

I can't comment on Pages, but Numbers is an atrocity, the UI is poorly designed in terms of entering data or formulas. Importing Excel spreadsheets causes errors and strips the imported document of much of the data. Working on medium to large spreadsheets is an exercise in frustration imo.

SixtyK

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
Nebraska
no apples approach is totally stupid. you spent so much time flipping through apps it almost makes your head spin and then you have to guess and hope a certain app can open a certain file instead of simply having a project consisting of different file types in one place and you get a collection of different options to open it with. even my grandma gets it. i also want to know where my files are stores. does opening it inside an app make a copy or does it change the original file? no idea. apples the only one i can think of with such a twisted thinking of a cloud system.

I do believe you're talking out of your a--, Red.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Lets be honest, iWork is an atrocity.

I use Pages and Keynote all the time, though I do have Office, I set that all docs and ppts automatically opened by Pages and Keynote, its so good. Seriously, there is no comparison. For presentations, especially good looking and having nice design, nothing can come close to Keynote. Pages is great for word processing. Both handle MS formats just fine.

I think that maybe Numbers is not as good as Excel. But for my simple needs such as tables, occasional formulas, conditional formatting, charts, Numbers is just great. Its charts are way more attractive. Add here Apple's Mail and who needs Office? On my Macbook air, no MS software is installed. Same for ipad and iphone ; tried Office and deleted it. Yes, its my subjective assessment but fully objective. I have bought Mathtype 6.7 and there is not a single thing I need from MS world to mess my workflow. Word just chokes on any document with multiple graphs and more than 20 pages. Pages is just fine. Some say that newer Pages lacks the page-management of older Pages, but I never noticed it. All in all, its 2-1 in favor of iWork. More templates for Keynote certainly would be welcomed; but MS templates are very boring even though they tried to improve them hard.

For Pages, I would like to see such Font management feature as creating a list of recently used fonts on top of Fonts menu, but other that, the symbols management, adding images, textboxes, formatting text in textboxes etc is incredibly good in Pages.

----------

I like Pages, but my concern is that the file format is totally closed and no other application can open it.

If you send a Word document to someone you are pretty sure they will be able to view it on any computer/tablet/phone.

Also while I really like Macs (and have only been using Macs as my personal computers for over 10 years), I want to keep the door open shall I have to / want to move to another platform.

Not to mention that sometimes (for example at work) I only have a access to a PC, and if I was using Pages for everything I would have been stuck quite a few times having to quickly review/modify a document from a PC but not having the right application to open it (granted the web apps on iCould.com and iOS applications are partly helping with this).

I just export Pages as doc or pdf file, looks great.

Last edited:

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Look, I would get on board with MS office on iOS except for one thing: without a subscription it is crippled. Happy to pay a one off price, but a subscrption? No.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
iWork is much better and free.
MS Office is total abomination of software no one needs it. Won't install even if for free.

Hi Tim. Have a fun time hobnobbing at the Grammys?

----------

Except that....

iWork is free.

Office is not.

Hence, I'll continue using iWork. It's good enough that I don't want to have to pay a subscription or any money for office software.

Don't you make any money at your job?

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
OneDrive has great potential, but unfortunately it has a major issue for Mac and other users, who have files named in a way that MS cannot process.

It harkens back to pre-2010 cloud services: it simply refuses to sync folders or files with certain characters in the name.

None of the other major cloud storage services have this limitation and I have not seen it for years. It's like DOS.

It will probably cause me to let my subscription lapse, because I am not using it, due to these sync issues.

Otherwise it's a great price for a lot of storage. But the inability to handle stuff like ":" or "/" and a bunch of others in file and folders names is a deal breaker for me.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
It's interesting that apple keeps updating it. I'm not sure why Apple hasn't just sat back and let Chrome take the lead.

Yeah, why doesn't Apple just sit back and let everyone else pass them by on everything??? :rolleyes: For one thing, I personally HATE Chrome and wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. I don't like Safari either. I've had to make some changes (e.g. classic theme restorer plus a good theme) but Firefox still has the capability to LOOK and act like a proper browser, not just a money making machine that only looks at ONE area (i.e. supposedly "fast" whereas CONTROL is what I want, not some minimalist browser designed to sit on Youtube all day long).

Honestly, what you say reflects the opposite on Apple (i.e. with their levels of capital, WTF can't they lead in EVERY SINGLE AREA? Apple always seems to have excuse of not enough resources. Well, letting hundreds of BILLIONS of dollars in "resources" sit there while all these companies take over all these product areas is ridiculous. Yes, Apple makes TONS of money, but it is on relatively few products. It could expand into all these areas with all that wasted money just sitting there doing nothing.

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
Good move for Microsoft. I trust the privacy and security of iCloud more than Dropbox although Dropbox still seems to sync up faster than iCloud.

I have gone through the comments on this thread and see a common theme: everyone is arguing based on their personal needs. Both iWork and MS Office have their advantages and disadvantages. Below is my pet list based on my own needs and wants.

Advantages of iWork:
- Free on all platforms.
- Sufficient for most business purposes and virtually all personal ones.
- The UI is elegantly designed, simple to use and wonderfully uncluttered.
- Uses a side bar which saves headspace on smaller/portable screens like my Mackbook 13" Retina.

Disadvantages of iWork:
- Fewer features than MS Office.
- Slower to boot up on non-OS machines and may be completely unusable in many Fortune 500 company IT environments (mine included).
- Requires added steps to export to the industry standard formats of MS Office.
- No "paste as unformatted text" option for Numbers. This means reformatting ... time and time again ... anything you copy/paste from a differently formatted doc, like a webpage.
- No "Ctrl + D" option to pull data from the cell above (pet peeve).
- iOS Pages does not have "reflow" so I'm forced to constantly scroll right and left to read an entire sentence.
- iWork files are bigger than MS Offices by as much as 300%. Becomes a noticeable problem when syncing with little signal like at my office.

Advantages of MS Office:
- It is the industry standard for most businesses and the U.S. government.
- It has more potentially useful features than you'll probably ever know existed, let alone actually use.
- It may not be free, but you probably already have a functional copy of the program for Mac anyway.
- Word for iOS has "reflow" so that I'm not forced to constantly scroll right and left to read an entire sentence.
- Document sizes are one third the size of iWork files so they sync faster. This is a terribly useful feature in the black hole of an office I work inside (I'm convinced that the walls are lined with lead or whatever it is that blocks my signal).
- Excel lets me do amazing things that I either can't or just don't know how to do in Numbers.

Disadvantages of MS Office:
- It costs money.
- In a handful of years the 2011 versions we have will no longer be supported and we may have to decide if we want to shell out $100 a year for the new version. The alternative will be to get used to life with iWork and all the headache of remembering to export to a MS Office version, not to mention worrying if the document will retain its formatting.
- It suffers from the Ribbon. Most computer screens are wider than they are taller. The menu bar + ribbon takes up 1/5 of my screen so I turned it off ... permanently. Someone at MS didn't think this one through.
- It needs a less cluttered interface: there are so many features to manage that it is easy to get lost. Maybe it would help to have a basic, mid-level and advanced selection of options, instead of stuffing a ribbon so full.
- It is a Microsoft product. I'm an Apple fanboy and I don't like MS on principle (much like rooting for your favorite team, this is completely irrational, but then again, I'm only human).

At the end of the day, to each their own. Personally, I doubt that iWork will ever go away: someone much more astute than me (kds1 maybe?) once said that iWork is insurance against Microsoft pulling support for MS Office from Apple platforms, leaving Mac & iOS users high and dry.

Last edited:

jellybelly

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2007
I've never understood this need to have a file browser on iOS. Are we still in 1980 or something? Apple has created a more advanced system that works much better IMO. There are a few hiccups that need to be work out though like for example there is no Textedit app on iOS yet. But having the apps directly connected to the files they make is just so much more intuitive than the archaic file management system we've been using for decades.

Your example of browsing for a file and then "Open In" an application certainly isn't faster or more intuitive. That's just what you are used to. It is undeniably faster to open the application first and then open the file you want. Simply because the number of files you have to browse through to find the one you want are narrowed down significantly compared the old archaic method.

For "light" users I might agree, but we business users (writers, graphic designers, image enhancers, photographers, and other business folks who have clients) organize our projects of one or more files as billable jobs/projects e.g. by customer, job number, or date created-- or usually a combination of these attributes as nested folders. We may have 100 or many more client folders with various file formats within project folders that are within client folders.

The same goes for archived projects which may be on an archive server, which for some folks I know can number in the thousands. It's much easier for us to find the client folder and then look for date or job number or project name. To serve our clients well, it's worth keeping project folders for a really long time. I just got an order that was an update of a 1998 project, a rare thing but hey, my customer is happy.

We may not use a cloud service for old work, but we like to be consistent in our filing methods. I've been okay so far for App-only file organization, but iPads in particular will soon do work formerly only done on desktops.

We all, myself included, should take care to not project our personal usage as a universal way to do things.

P.S. To iWorks users, it would be considerate to save a copy of the file in MSWord or MSExcel format if sending to others to edit, unless you know they are iWork users.

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
Yeah, why doesn't Apple just sit back and let everyone else pass them by on everything??? :rolleyes: For one thing, I personally HATE Chrome and wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. I don't like Safari either. I've had to make some changes (e.g. classic theme restorer plus a good theme) but Firefox still has the capability to LOOK and act like a proper browser, not just a money making machine that only looks at ONE area (i.e. supposedly "fast" whereas CONTROL is what I want, not some minimalist browser designed to sit on Youtube all day long).

Honestly, what you say reflects the opposite on Apple (i.e. with their levels of capital, WTF can't they lead in EVERY SINGLE AREA? Apple always seems to have excuse of not enough resources. Well, letting hundreds of BILLIONS of dollars in "resources" sit there while all these companies take over all these product areas is ridiculous. Yes, Apple makes TONS of money, but it is on relatively few products. It could expand into all these areas with all that wasted money just sitting there doing nothing.

I have also asked this question. Why doesn't Apple blow the socks of the competition in every field it competes? I honestly don't know all the reasons, but I suspect that they are playing some things conservatively: what they are doing is working for them, so why push harder? This is a dangerously complacent attitude, of course, and we are seeing competitors catching or outstripping Apple in many regards. Imperfect though it is, MS Office is a good product with many uses. If it wasn't the business world would have dropped it long ago. The Surface 3 is a compelling concept that I nearly went with over my Macbook Retina. Google Maps continues to outshine Maps even after 3 years of work. I no longer use iWork because it fails to meet my on-the-go needs (Hi, Eddy Cue, I'm willing to come back to Pages if you'll just add re-flow and put the word counter off the document into a bar!)

cookies!

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
iWork is much better and free.
MS Office is total abomination of software no one needs it. Won't install even if for free.

Unfortunately some of us have to feed the (cats) and make a living working at one of the many businesses that use Office :(

But seriously, I can't tell if I like Office 2013 because I actually like the software, or if I'm deluding myself into liking it because I don't have a choice but to work on it 12 hours a day.

----------

- It suffers from the Ribbon. Most computer screens are wider than they are taller. The menu bar + ribbon takes up 1/5 of my screen so I turned it off ... permanently. Someone at MS didn't think this one through.

I really like the ribbon, but this is a really, really smart criticism that Microsoft needs to fix (or at least allow for a little more UI flexibility)

EightBitJoe

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2014
Mildly Useful

Office apps for iOS do not appear to support saving NEW files created in app to iCloud. You can only edit and (automatically) save existing files. If I'm wrong, and I hope I am, I'd like proof. Otherwise, this is an only mildly useful addition.

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
I really like the ribbon, but this is a really, really smart criticism that Microsoft needs to fix (or at least allow for a little more UI flexibility)

The ribbon as it is would be fine for anyone wanting access to all the advanced features and had a tall screen. In fact, that is what is meant for, I believe, because you can add features you want to a customizable bar. Personally, I find the ribbon very cluttered, but maybe that is just me. After working with it for a while, my mind edits out the options I don't need and it isn't so bad. Then I go back to an iWork app and breathe a sigh of relief because it isn't packed features ... which is also its drawback :rolleyes:

Renzatic

Suspended
Let's be honest, you're just USED to doing something the old archaic way that was invented decades ago. The file system is stupid and the iOS way of handling it is modern and more intuitive but you're never going to like anything better if you think just being used to something makes it better.

I'll say this: when you're working in single apps, Apple's approach to file management is brilliant. When you open Pages or Numbers, you don't have to go digging through folders to find what you want. They're all right there in front of you, all organized and grouped in an efficient, easy to find format.

...but when you're working with multiple files amongst multiple applications, it blows. Having to import and export files from one app to the next is sloppy, time consuming, and inefficient.

As old as the fold structure is, I haven't seen anything yet that's replaced its functionality entirely.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I'll say this: when you're working in single apps, Apple's approach to file management is brilliant. When you open Pages or Numbers, you don't have to go digging through folders to find what you want. They're all right there in front of you, all organized and grouped in an efficient, easy to find format.

...but when you're working with multiple files amongst multiple applications, it blows. Having to import and export files from one app to the next is sloppy, time consuming, and inefficient.

As old as the fold structure is, I haven't seen anything yet that's replaced its functionality entirely.

I know what you mean but that solution has already been resolved in using tags. It's not all the way there yet because on iOS the tagging system hasn't yet been made obvious but in Yosemite tagging is front and center and it will continue to receive more prominence over folders over time in the interface. Tags fix the problem of multiple files amongst multiple applications being accessible in one "location".

----------

For "light" users I might agree, but we business users (writers, graphic designers, image enhancers, photographers, and other business folks who have clients) organize our projects of one or more files as billable jobs/projects e.g. by customer, job number, or date created-- or usually a combination of these attributes as nested folders. We may have 100 or many more client folders with various file formats within project folders that are within client folders.

The same goes for archived projects which may be on an archive server, which for some folks I know can number in the thousands. It's much easier for us to find the client folder and then look for date or job number or project name. To serve our clients well, it's worth keeping project folders for a really long time. I just got an order that was an update of a 1998 project, a rare thing but hey, my customer is happy.

We may not use a cloud service for old work, but we like to be consistent in our filing methods. I've been okay so far for App-only file organization, but iPads in particular will soon do work formerly only done on desktops.

We all, myself included, should take care to not project our personal usage as a universal way to do things.

We use iWork primarily for our business which revolves around client projects. And we have created a tagging system that works far better than the old folder system did. Mainly because tags allow far more flexibility than folders. Apple's file system is heavily dependent on switching your filing system to being more based on tags... with folders only serving as strictly defined top level organization. And this is exactly what folders are best used for. The deeply nested folder system with the classic issue of "what folder does this go in?" is completely resolved by Apple's tagging system combining with the new app based folder system with shallow subfolders.

Renzatic

Suspended
I know what you mean but that solution has already been resolved in using tags. It's not all the way there yet because on iOS the tagging system hasn't yet been made obvious but in Yosemite tagging is front and center and it will continue to receive more prominence over folders over time in the interface. Tags fix the problem of multiple files amongst multiple applications being accessible in one "location".

The thing about tags is that it isn't really any easier or better. It's more a lateral upgrade. It has some advantages, mainly the fact you can have more than one tag per file, but at the end of the day, tagging a bunch of pictures as "Spring Break 2015" isn't any different than slapping them all into a folder labeled "Spring Break 2015".

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Good move for Microsoft. I trust the privacy and security of iCloud more than Dropbox although Dropbox still seems to sync up faster than iCloud.

I have gone through the comments on this thread and see a common theme: everyone is arguing based on their personal needs. Both iWork and MS Office have their advantages and disadvantages. Below is my pet list based on my own needs and wants.

Advantages of iWork:
- Free on all platforms.
- Sufficient for most business purposes and virtually all personal ones.
- The UI is elegantly designed, simple to use and wonderfully uncluttered.
- Uses a side bar which saves headspace on smaller/portable screens like my Mackbook 13" Retina.

Disadvantages of iWork:
- Fewer features than MS Office.
- Slower to boot up on non-OS machines and may be completely unusable in many Fortune 500 company IT environments (mine included).
- Requires added steps to export to the industry standard formats of MS Office.
- No "paste as unformatted text" option for Numbers. This means reformatting ... time and time again ... anything you copy/paste from a differently formatted doc, like a webpage.
- No "Ctrl + D" option to pull data from the cell above (pet peeve).
- iOS Pages does not have "reflow" so I'm forced to constantly scroll right and left to read an entire sentence.
- iWork files are bigger than MS Offices by as much as 300%. Becomes a noticeable problem when syncing with little signal like at my office.

Advantages of MS Office:
- It is the industry standard for most businesses and the U.S. government.
- It has more potentially useful features than you'll probably ever know existed, let alone actually use.
- It may not be free, but you probably already have a functional copy of the program for Mac anyway.
- Word for iOS has "reflow" so that I'm not forced to constantly scroll right and left to read an entire sentence.
- Document sizes are one third the size of iWork files so they sync faster. This is a terribly useful feature in the black hole of an office I work inside (I'm convinced that the walls are lined with lead or whatever it is that blocks my signal).
- Excel lets me do amazing things that I either can't or just don't know how to do in Numbers.

Disadvantages of MS Office:
- It costs money.
- In a handful of years the 2011 versions we have will no longer be supported and we may have to decide if we want to shell out $100 a year for the new version. The alternative will be to get used to life with iWork and all the headache of remembering to export to a MS Office version, not to mention worrying if the document will retain its formatting.
- It needs a less cluttered interface: there are so many features to manage that it is easy to get lost. Maybe it would help to have a basic, mid-level and advanced selection of options, instead of stuffing a ribbon so full.
- It is a Microsoft product. I'm an Apple fanboy and I don't like MS on principle (much like rooting for your favorite team, this is completely irrational, but then again, I'm only human).

At the end of the day, to each their own. Personally, I doubt that iWork will ever go away: someone much more astute than me (kds1 maybe?) once said that iWork is insurance against Microsoft pulling support for MS Office from Apple platforms, leaving Mac & iOS users high and dry.

Very well written peace. Since I don't use many functions of Excel and even Word, existing set of features of Numbers is good enough for me. It may be not enough for some business use, but probably mostly macros and scripts thats are missed. As for Pages and Keynote, i think that most business needs are met as well.

----------

Hi Tim. Have a fun time hobnobbing at the Grammys?

----------

Don't you make any money at your job?

That's not the issue. I bought 365 license and have office (work) license as well. However the software just doesn't feel comfortable to use, convoluted, changes for sake of changes, etc. Many functions are mostly useless. Only good thing in Office is its font management, namely list of heavily used fonts on top of fonts menu. Thats all.

jellybelly

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2007

----------

We use iWork primarily for our business which revolves around client projects. And we have created a tagging system that works far better than the old folder system did. Mainly because tags allow far more flexibility than folders. Apple's file system is heavily dependent on switching your filing system to being more based on tags... with folders only serving as strictly defined top level organization. And this is exactly what folders are best used for. The deeply nested folder system with the classic issue of "what folder does this go in?" is completely resolved by Apple's tagging system combining with the new app based folder system with shallow subfolders.

If you have say, a dozen documents on a project and an additional dozen images that are used in those docs and you then use say, 6 of those images (e.g. Stock photos) in another client's project, and use some of the assets again in a later project(s) for one or both of those clients, wouldn't you want discrete and complete folders for each project?

If I pull one of the projects off an archive drive, I want a complete "package" (folder) of the assets used in that project. Since I might share project files with a client, I don't want that client to see tags referencing another client.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Just as I would never trust my files with iCloud (far too unreliable and too many restrictions), I would never trust my content with iWorks.

I tried iWorks a few years back (it was Apple, so it had to be good) and besides the compatibility issues with my colleagues, I had another surprising issue. A few years later, I could not open my files anymore. Apple forces you to upgrade to the latest and greatest software but has no backwards compatibility.

I got the infamous "your document is too old, save it with pages version xx first". A version I did not have anymore.

You can say all you want about Microsoft, but at least they realize this is a big no-no in any professional environment. I'm sorry, but iWorks is for recipes and Christmas cards.

notrack

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
Is it possible to edit documents in iCloud without creating duplicates? That would be really nice. Or do you still have to import the document into the app first, and then export it back to iCloud?

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
Very well written peace. Since I don't use many functions of Excel and even Word, existing set of features of Numbers is good enough for me. It may be not enough for some business use, but probably mostly macros and scripts thats are missed. As for Pages and Keynote, i think that most business needs are met as well.

Thanks for the kind words! You hit it on the head by noting that the main business uses Numbers can't fill are ones that involve macros and scripts. But, absolutely, most business needs are met by the iWork suite.

Last edited:

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
office apps for ios do not appear to support saving new files created in app to icloud. You can only edit and (automatically) save existing files. If i'm wrong, and i hope i am, i'd like proof. Otherwise, this is an only mildly useful addition.

+1

tomegun

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Las Vegas
So why is iCloud still so expensive compared to Dropbox? With Photos coming out and now Office, it would seem like they would want to price it at the exact same price as Dropbox.

I agree, they also need a true folder like Dropbox or OneDrive has on OSX

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.