Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tesla1856

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2017
Texas, USA
Looks like StackSocial is running this sale again. I just received this in my Inbox.

It's for a legit Lifetime-License key for $50 and it works fine. I picked-up my copy there the other day and it Installs and Activates without a problem.

Microsoft Office Home & Business 2021 for Mac

I hope this helps someone.
I received my key instantly. A Microsoft Account is required to redeem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tesla1856

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2017
Texas, USA
Just note this doesn't provide access to any of their cloud services nor the iPad version of the apps.

All the Apps are included on the Mac. Also OneDrive, so you just login with your existing Microsoft Account (or create a new one) and you can see all your Microsoft Office files in the Microsoft Cloud. I've had mine for a while, but I'm pretty sure even the new/free Microsoft Accounts come with at least 5gb of cloud-storage space.

On my iPad-Pro-9.7", I just downloaded the iPad versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. from the Apple App Store.
They were all $0.00 for me.

When you run them on the iPad, you just login with your existing Microsoft Account. They might ask you if you want to Subscribe to Office-365 Personal or whatever, but I just clicked "No Thanks". I was able to load and existing Word doc and also an old Excel spreadsheet. I could edit both and save them.

Seems pretty nice to me on the Mac and iPad for $50. Anybody else try it yet?

Last edited:

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
A lot of people don't realise that you can use the iPhone and iPad (not Pro) versions of Office apps for free with a standard OneDrive account.

Is that still the case? I used to use it on my 9.7” pro but sometime around a year or two ago, it stopped being able to do anything other than open the files. I could t edit or do anything else.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
The cutoff used to be at 10.something inch screens so the 9.7” was the only pro iPad that worked with the office apps without a subscription. That changed a while ago.

I just tried it on my iPhone 12 and it doesn’t work either. It gives an error message that in order to save or edit a document, I need to sign into my office 365 account.

I’m pretty sure your information is out of date

Tesla1856

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2017
Texas, USA
A lot of people don't realize that you can use the iPhone and iPad (not Pro) versions of Office apps for free with a standard OneDrive account.

I used to use it on my 9.7” pro but sometime around a year or two ago, it stopped being able to do anything other than open the files. I couldn't edit or do anything else.

My main iPad is a iPad-Pro 9.7" and it all works fine for me (as posted above).

Also, not sure I understand why you think iPad-Pro would be treated differently. Like the iPad-Air, it just has some slightly different hardware.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017

Also, not sure I understand why you think iPad-Pro would be treated differently. Like the iPad-Air, it just has some slightly different hardware.
For a long time Microsoft only allowed devices smaller than 10" to use the office apps without a subscription. This excluded iPad Pros with 10.5" and larger displays but not the first generation 9.7" Pro from using the apps for free.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012

Here's an article from Macworld talking about the differentiation & the reasons why:https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/free-office-ipad-iphone-3452845/

Here's a clip of the relevant copy: The problem arises if you have an iPad Pro or the new iPad 10.2in (2019), because Microsoft only offers Word, Excel and PowerPoint (and Outlook) for free on devices that are less than 10.1in. Which basically rules out any iPad Pro (unless you have one of the older models with a 9.7in display).

Tesla1856

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2017
Texas, USA
Here's an article from Macworld talking about the differentiation & the reasons why:https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/free-office-ipad-iphone-3452845/

Here's a clip of the relevant copy: The problem arises if you have an iPad Pro or the new iPad 10.2in (2019), because Microsoft only offers Word, Excel and PowerPoint (and Outlook) for free on devices that are less than 10.1in. Which basically rules out any iPad Pro (unless you have one of the older models with a 9.7in display).

Thanks for the clarification. Looks like I squeaked-by.

To tell you the truth, I doubt I'll use the Microsoft Office iPad Apps much. I really just tried it because someone said it didn't work without a paid Office-365 Subscription. The $50 Microsoft Office suite is really just for use on my Mac.

That is a good article though.

Last edited:

OtoPA

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2022
Sounded good, got an order#, unfortunately, when I went to redeem, all I got was a 'page does not exist'. If I don't get a working link to 'redeem', I can always dispute the CC charge.

Reactions: gene731

Tesla1856

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2017
Texas, USA
Sounded good, got an order#, unfortunately, when I went to redeem, all I got was a 'page does not exist'. If I don't get a working link to 'redeem', I can always dispute the CC charge.
Don't worry. StackSocial is very legit. I've bought a bunch of software and training-courses from them over the years. Never had a problem like you describe though.

I suggest you just login to your StackSocial Account, click on Account/Purchases. You will see your recent purchase. Click Redeem to reveal your license-key and instructions for install. You do the rest inside your Microsoft Account.

Blaine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
Abilene TX
I had office 365 for years because of my work, but recently I could only view office documents and got a message saying my organizations 365 plan doesn't allow for editing on a Mac. Soooooo, I went out and got this license for $50 and I now have a permanent license for my Mac. ?

Reactions: Tesla1856

OtoPA

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2022
Don't worry. StackSocial is very legit. I've bought a bunch of software and training-courses from them over the years. Never had a problem like you describe though.

I suggest you just login to your StackSocial Account, click on Account/Purchases. You will see your recent purchase. Click Redeem to reveal your license-key and instructions for install. You do the rest inside your Microsoft Account.
good to hear they're legit. 'Is a puzzlement...' I did get an email from them thanking me for purchase along with an order# and a broken 'redeem' link, but when I log into account, it shows no purchases. ah well, I'll wait for their CS to answer as well. **** happens.

OtoPA

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2022
good to hear they're legit. 'Is a puzzlement...' I did get an email from them thanking me for purchase along with an order# and a broken 'redeem' link, but when I log into account, it shows no purchases. ah well, I'll wait for their CS to answer as well. **** happens.
to update: it was an applepay issue. reprocessed via PayPal and success. Customer Service was responsive and helpful.

Reactions: Tesla1856

Euroamerican

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Boise

I have an iPad Air with the 10.5 inch screen. I was able to use the iOS version of Word on it just fine with my paid Office 365 (now Microsoft 365) Family subscription. However, I recently decided to drop the paid-for subscription.

As of last night, I can still authenticate to my Office.com (Microsoft) account but I cannot use Word anymore on the iPad. The message says I need a Microsoft 365 subscription to proceed.

This conforms to what I've heard, that larger screen iPads do not get to use the iOS versions unless the user has a pay-for Microsoft 365 subscription.

Reactions: mk313

triptolemus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
In the terms it says:
  • ONE-TIME PURCHASE INSTALLED ON 1 MAC
Does this mean it can be uninstalled on 1 Mac and then installed on another? Or even re-installed on the same Mac?

EdwardC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
In the terms it says:
Does this mean it can be uninstalled on 1 Mac and then installed on another? Or even re-installed on the same Mac?
In the terms it says:
I believe you can. I only say that as I was just in a support chat with the Microsoft Office Team regarding an issue having a perpetual 2019 Home and Student (PC) license as well as a 2021 Professional (PC) license. I had advised the support team to just invalidate the 2019 key. He replied that I would not be able to ever use it again should I wish to install on another PC. Anyhow when I go to my Microsoft account I have three keys available and the 2019 is available for a download. With that said I believe the answer is yes it can be reinstalled once un installed.

Reactions: triptolemus

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
In the terms it says:

Yes it does. I’ve had to do both of those scenarios on older versions (2019) and it works fine. You just can’t have it on 2 computers at the same time.

gene731

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2015
I so much want to try this out so bad. Perhaps I will and if the same issue as you are having then I’ll make sure it’s on a credit card and dispute it then. Thank you for the heads up.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
I so much want to try this out so bad. Perhaps I will and if the same issue as you are having then I’ll make sure it’s on a credit card and dispute it then. Thank you for the heads up.

If you reads a couple of posts later, the problem was Apple Pay and customer service resolved it by using another payment method.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.