Microsoft OneNote on iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by lsquare, Dec 13, 2011.

1. lsquare macrumors 6502

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/12/microsoft-onenote-arrives-on-ipad/

Anyone here tried OneNote for the iPad? It's a bit pricey at $14.99, but I'm willing to pay if it works well and allows me to move seamlessly from desktop to iPad 2 and continue to work on the file. Any general comments on OneNote?

Can I essentially use OneNote for the iPad as a word processor? I want to be able to type up lecture notes, add pictures, and then move the files over to my desktop to continue where I left off.

Also, is this another one of those apps, where I'll have to pay for the license to use on both my iPhone 4 and iPad 2? Or can I just pay the $14.99 for the license and then download and use it for both my IP4 and IP2? I have a feeling that I can't since the iPhone 4 have a separate fee as well.

2. jojoba macrumors 68000

There's a free version with restricted features available in the app store, have you checked that out? I just downloaded it and will give it a try.

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

i haven't used it, but i imagine it will enable you to move seamlessly, provided you have that skydrive account. you have to sync, after all. i am sure there is a physical plug-in method of transferring files, but that is usually a pain.

because you cannot use onenote as a word processor on your computer, i doubt it will become one on your ipad. if, however, by word processor you mean giving you the ability to type lecture notes and add pictures, i would assume so. you can already do this on evernote or pages. if you are a onenote user, i imagine this app will be quite handy.

hopefully, we can hear from actual users.

4. jojoba macrumors 68000

I just saw a pretty bad review over on a different forum... Since I don't have a windows msg id either I might just pass on the experimentation this time.

5. palpatine macrumors 68040

i used to be a onenote user for several years, but got fed up with it and moved onto other things. nowadays i am mainly invested in evernote. you might want to give it a try. it is not onenote, and it has its own unique approach. ultimately, i think it is much better suited for the ipad and a mobile world.

microsoft has never showed even the slightest interest in listening to their users (they tried to charge me 50 dollars to talk to them last time i tried to contact them). they certainly not shown much interest in making the software compatible with other platforms. i just find evernote, voodoopad, and other developers to be so much better. so, i am not surprised by the poor reviews.

6. jojoba macrumors 68000

Yes, I'm using evernote, notability and 7Notes HD. I like them all and mix between them so far.

7. william1949 macrumors member

Add Awesome Note HD to the list sync using evernote or Google Doc.

8. hulfordp macrumors member

Just wait for Tapose!

Google Tapose, it should be in the App Store soon! It's based of Microsofts Courior idea. Looks awesome

9. lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502

The free accounts have a horribly low limitation. I don't want to subscribe to it. This is why I want to use OneNote and it's a good offline solution.

10. palpatine macrumors 68040

5 dollars a month for 1gb a month of cumulative storage, ability to upload anything, and offline notebooks. seems like a good deal to me. it's a mobile world, and onenote is for a sedentary one.

11. lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502

How does Evernote handle offline notes? Is there a way to make the notes offline? I haven't been able to figure out how.

Regardless, I do love OneNote for the PC.

12. jojoba macrumors 68000

My understanding is that you need the premium version for accessing notes offline, but I might be wrong.

13. lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502

If that's the case, then I don't want to subscribe. I rather pay a one time fee and get unlimited notes with OneNote if it's a decent solution for the iPad. OneNote for the PC is simply amazing.

14. palpatine macrumors 68040

evernote will cost you a lot more than onenote. that's for sure. i think it is about 45 a year. but, you get so much more. some people like it. some people don't. but, in my opinion, evernote is a far better product.

15. lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I already have OneNote. I got it with the MS Office bundle.

16. palpatine macrumors 68040

yeah. i have onenote too. doesn't mean you have to use it :)

i know there are a lot of onenote fans out there, and it is a nice piece of software, but it really isn't set up at all to work in a mobile multiple-platform world. evernote has been truly liberating.

anyhow, i am looking forward to seeing what mobile users have to say about this app.

17. jojoba macrumors 68000

I just tested it on my iPad, and yes you have to be online. On my android phone I can access them offline, though.

Recently I've been tending to make notes in 7HD Premium or Notability, and then export them to Endnote from there.

18. lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Are you 100% certain that you will need to be online to use OneNote?

19. jojoba macrumors 68000

If you're referring to my post, I was talking about Evernote (not OneNote) - but if you upgrade to the premium version, your Evernote notes are available offline (at least that's what I've read on, but I only have the free version myself).

20. Frosticus macrumors 6502a

Frosticus

21. palpatine macrumors 68040

evernote works whether you are online or not. so, if you want to make a note, you can do that anytime. however, if you want to view the notes you have made in the past, then you'll have to become a premium member (some exceptions for notes that get cached because you have recently viewed them).

there are a number of benefits to premium membership including 1GB per month of cumulative storage, which means at the end of the year you could have as much as 12GB of data stored on the cloud for free (meaning that even if you do not renew your premium membership, the notes remain there).

personally, i think evernote is far superior to onenote, especially if you use multiple devices. however, it is based on different principles than onenote, and some people find it difficult to adjust. fortunately, it is totally free to try it out. i spent years using it without upgrading :)

22. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

As a general rule, when I first start an app and it asks me to register for an account I delete the app.

23. jojoba macrumors 68000

I used to be exactly the same, but I've reached a point now where I'm more pragmatic about it depending on how much I want the app. OneNote wouldn't let me get through the registration point, though, so I gave up :D

24. lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't want to subscribe just to have the ability to view my notes offline and that's what annoyed me last spring and summer when I was in the UK. I didn't realize that the notes were not accessible offline unless I was a subscriber. I quickly dump Evernote as a result of that.

25. palpatine macrumors 68040

that's fair. but, considering the unique nature of the service, you may want to reconsider.

the entire business model is predicated on constant syncing (whenever possible) so that your notes are available anywhere and anytime. it is cloud storage that is always on, accumulates over time, and has unlimited data transfers (you can download information as much as you want--you can even share it with the world).

in addition, you get constant software development (updated recently once or twice a month). it is also compatible with just about any major file type. no other note taking app has so many features on so many platforms.that kind of connectivity doesn't come free, and i'm happy to pay for it.

it's not perfect by any means, and it may not fit your use case. i would say it is a good deal, though, considering what you get.