Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft has revealed a redesign coming to its Outlook apps for Mac and Windows platforms, which is described as aiming for a "simplified" user interface that falls in line with the Outlook app for iOS. The Verge detailed the new and less complex version of Outlook on desktop, which was first spotted by MSPowerUser.

The Mac and Windows apps will feature a single-line ribbon that will be customizable so users can control which buttons are available, tailoring the email client to more easily accomplish their most common tasks. Clutter will be reduced with a smaller set of default commands, and the left navigation panel will include quicker access to folders across multiple accounts, visually similar to the switcher in Outlook on iOS.

outlook-mac-2.jpg

Microsoft is said to have admitted that "MacBooks are popular amongst key influencers and decision makers," so the company decided to overhaul its email client "to win these users by delivering the best Outlook has to offer." Besides the design changes, Outlook for Mac will gain improvements to search and its calendar functions.

Search will become faster and "more reliable," as well as be easier to access in the app's top right corner. For the calendar, users will see an overall improved interface that makes managing appointments less of a hassle.

outlook-mac-1.jpg

Microsoft hasn't yet detailed when the new Outlook will launch for Mac and Windows, but the company is said to be testing internal versions of the software for both platforms. Before the major update, a few minor additions will launch on Mac, including the ability to slide-to-delete messages via Apple's Magic Trackpad and a way to insert tables into emails.

It's expected that the redesigned app will debut in updates first made available for Office 365 subscribers, and then launch in Office 2019.

Article Link: Microsoft Outlook for Mac Gaining 'Simplified' Redesign With UI Similar to iOS App

TheralSadurns

Cancelled
Jul 8, 2010
Wow... this actually sucks. While I never thought the Ribbon was a good idea (taking up to much vertical space of widescreen displays) this actually makes it A LOT worse.

Reactions: maidentrat

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
It looks really good - hope they do something similar with the rest of the Office apps, but without simplifying them too much.

bice

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2015
So they are done messing the ios outlook up, and are now turning their efforts towards outlook on desktop. Thank god for outlook 2011.

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
Why would anyone outside of a business use Outlook on a Mac ?
I use Airmail which is like an “Outlook” since it is an email client minus calendar features. I believe it supports Exchange servers too. Also it integrates with a lot of third party apps.

Edit: Exchange support confirmed.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Wow... this actually sucks. While I never thought the Ribbon was a good idea (taking up to much vertical space of widescreen displays) this actually makes it A LOT worse.

The whole application looks like Fischer price garbage!

The ribbon only made sense in Windows cause that system does not have the ever present menu bar (may macOS Full screen would make sense here).

Reactions: B60boy

jp12687

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2017

Microsoft has revealed a redesign coming to its Outlook apps for Mac and Windows platforms, which is described as aiming for a "simplified" user interface that falls in line with the Outlook app for iOS. The Verge detailed the new and less complex version of Outlook on desktop, which was first spotted by MSPowerUser.

The Mac and Windows apps will feature a single-line ribbon that will be customizable so users can control which buttons are available, tailoring the email client to more easily accomplish their most common tasks. Clutter will be reduced with a smaller set of default commands, and the left navigation panel will include quicker access to folders across multiple accounts, visually similar to the switcher in Outlook on iOS.

Microsoft is said to have admitted that "MacBooks are popular amongst key influencers and decision makers," so the company decided to overhaul its email client "to win these users by delivering the best Outlook has to offer." Besides the design changes, Outlook for Mac will gain improvements to search and its calendar functions.

Search will become faster and "more reliable," as well as be easier to access in the app's top right corner. For the calendar, users will see an overall improved interface that makes managing appointments less of a hassle.

outlook-mac-1.jpg

Microsoft hasn't yet detailed when the new Outlook will launch for Mac and Windows, but the company is said to be testing internal versions of the software for both platforms. Before the major update, a few minor additions will launch on Mac, including the ability to slide-to-delete messages via Apple's Magic Trackpad and a way to insert tables into emails.

It's expected that the redesigned app will debut in updates first made available for Office 365 subscribers, and then launch in Office 2019.

Article Link: Microsoft Outlook for Mac Gaining 'Simplified' Redesign With UI Similar to iOS App
[doublepost=1508172051][/doublepost]if only they support visual notifications for sub-folders so its easy to see if a sub folder has an email waiting in it. basic in microsoft office on PC but they got rid of on mac :(

mithion

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2016
Reno, NV
Why would anyone outside of a business use Outlook on a Mac ?
I hate to admit it but outlook is better than apple mail. First off it actually works with our exchange 2016 mail server while apple mail fails to connect. Second, the calendar integration is much better. It's much easier to add shared calendars in outlook than it is in apple mail. I'm usually a fan of Apple's stuff, but this time I'm man enough give credit to the competition because it's simply better.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA

I really hope they just save this for Office 2019 instead of trying to shoehorn it into Office 2016 for O365 subscribers like a regular software update. That sounds like a nightmare, especially if they don't provide a way for enterprise customers to exclude themselves from this change.

I do have to say, however, that the screenshot included with the summary here had me a little scared. That is one way the Mac version can look, where most commands are still accessible in the menu bar (I assume; they currently are in 2016 despite the Ribbon, which supplanted both the toolbar and menu bar on Windows). It is presumably also customizable to include more commands. The link includes a screenshot of the Windows version, which actually looks quite similar to the current ribbon, just smaller in the vertical dimension and with more uniform, rectangular buttons (I assume most things currently exposed, like "mark read/unread," are hidden behind buttons with pop-down/out menus).

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
None of these visual updates will matter if they don’t fix all the bugs and sluggishness of Office Mac. By far the worst software on my Mac.

H.Finch

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2013
I never expect MS to get anything really right and do something with taste... However the only thing that could make me change my e-mail client is Apple's ridiculous way of handeling attachments in mail...

Reactions: bluespark

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
I never expect MS to get anything really right and do something with taste... However the only thing that could make me change my e-mail client is Apple's ridiculous way of handeling attachments in mail...
How is it ridiculous?

flipshot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Hertfordshire, UK
I really hope they just save this for Office 2019 instead of trying to shoehorn it into Office 2016 for O365 subscribers like a regular software update. That sounds like a nightmare, especially if they don't provide a way for enterprise customers to exclude themselves from this change.

They have already bumped up a major version (16 rather than 15) in the insider fast releases for Mac. I assume it's in anticipation of making these sorts of changes. Most of the apps are still the same in 17 currently but Excel has gained some additional VBA support.

Last edited:

DarrenNI

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Let's try that again...

If they'd just put voting buttons in the damn thing and stop messing about with other UI changes...

Vulkan

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2005
Useless, TX
Microsoft taking design cues from the apple side of things... <chuckle>

Well I look forward to seeing the look in the face of this one user I have, who has a mac, but runs a Windows VM with Office because he doesnt like how Outlook looks on his Mac. I can't wait to see his face and smile, "I told you so".

It's the little things you have to be thankful for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.