Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheralSadurns

Cancelled
Jul 8, 2010
The whole application looks like Fischer price garbage!

The ribbon only made sense in Windows cause that system does not have the ever present menu bar (may macOS Full screen would make sense here).

This is actually the reason I think Office on macOS is FAR superior to Office on Windows. The Menubar... that doesn't even exist anymore in Windows. I hate that you have to click these little arrows to access menus from the ribbon... and even worse, my biggest gripe, that you don't have a file MENU... but a file SCREEN... that takes you away from your documents...

H.Finch

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2013
How is it ridiculous?

Apple's 'inline approach' just sucks. No person I communicate withvia mail understands where the attachments are, how to save them or how to open them (sadly most of the use Windows). Even 'view as icon' and using 3rd party extensions doesn't work.

Reactions: bice

bwintx

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Glad to see it, but I hope they bring the threading up to the way it works in Outlook for Windows, particularly regarding a user's Sent items. How OL 2016 for Mac does it is one of the biggest reasons I don't use the Mac version, even though I am paying for an O365 account.

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
I always hated office but I learned to appreciate office 2016 for Mac. The fun part is that Microsoft is actually listening if you have suggestions or report bugs. They're really working hard to improve it and that works out. It works very well cross platform and outlook is so much better than Mail is now.

I wish Apple would listen to the many bugs I’ve reported to them... 2 years later and they're still present.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I wish Microsoft would use the Notification Center for Outlook updates. Outlook still uses it's own notification popups. It is out-of-date method of notifying users.

macwinuser

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2006
Well not sure if its good or bad, will have to wait. As a business user its a valuable tool. I have a Mac and feel mail is limited. But I also use google services which as you know as of now Outlook doesn't fully sync with google services. Not saying it will happen in this release but what was promising in one of the pics is a Google icon in the mail. Hopefully it syncs fully with google services (mail,contacts and calendar). We shall see. If so I may actually change back to Outlook on my Mac.

DataChris

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2007
Everyone's worried about how it looks but all that matters is how it functions. Outlook Mac 2011 had the one feature that NO other email client had (or has), the ability to color code incoming emails by the sending contact's category color.... providing a way to instantly know the importance of an incoming email (aka: should it be read or ignored) based on its category, project, contact group, etc). Outlook 2016 (and it looks like 2019) don't have this killer feature so there's little to no reason to use it over Apple Mail.

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
I wish Microsoft would use the Notification Center for Outlook updates. Outlook still uses it's own notification popups. It is out-of-date method of notifying users.
I can understand that. Having a company "Think Different" on a Mac and not conforming to every Apple mandate must be very annoying.

bwintx

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Yes but so is Thunderbird, which is also cross-platform and has the classic (in my mind superior) multi-account-using-separate-folders interface.

I used to love Thunderbird and have considered going back to it from time to time, but I keep wondering how much longer Mozilla will bother. At least with Firefox, it can sell default-search-engine rights to make some money; but what's the business case for Mozilla to keep developing and maintaining Thunderbird?

kvyoung

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2015
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada
I think this change will push me out of the Microsoft camp and into the Google one. Outlook-Exchange was one of the main reasons I've stayed with Office 365 but if they are now dumbing it down what is the use? I may as well use Mail with Gmail on the Mac, Gmail on the web is more powerful than OWA anyway and while the iOS Outlook is fine on the iPhone and iPad I don't want that version on my Mac or PC.

M.PaulCezanne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2014
I know some people, even Apple fans, swear by MS Office. I can't stand it. Never could. All MS software grabs ahold of too much of the system and requires far too much maintenance and cost.

It's Apple or FOSS for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.