Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coffeemadmanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
United Kingdom
I don't think Microsoft is in any position to be making fun of Siri, when it arrived almost three years before Cortana. Back when they were still trying to piece together the shattered dreams of Windows Phone 7.

To some extent though you have hit the nail on the head - Apple have had Siri for years before Cortana - Siri should be years ahead. It isn't.

wyarp

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
'Leave early based on traffic alerts'.... hmmm, maybe I should try that with my boss. Not sure it would work!

coffeemadmanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
United Kingdom
Sorry but if you need your phone to tell you to leave earlier due to traffic - you are an idiot.
Do you need your phone to tell you to change your toilet paper in the bathroom too?
talk about the need to be way to connected to fricking phone it's an phone not your mommy!

Two different things - you can't tell that traffic three miles from your house will be bad and that you should leave early.

You can look in your toilet to see if you need new paper.

Why do you think morning news includes traffic? It's the exact same concept.

PhotodudeCA

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2013
Siri is becoming an embarrassment for Apple

Sadly, the trailblazing voice recognition interface is becoming an embarrassment for Apple. Siri's capabilities just don't compare with GoogleNow or even Cortana anymore.. yes, Cortana, from, gasp, Microsoft.

If I had a choice to replace Siri with GoogleNow as my phone's integrated assistance, I would do it in a heartbeat. The voice recognition is much more reliable, and the quality of the answers actually makes GoogleNow feel like artificial intelligence. Siri has a lot to catch up to, and unfortunately, every year the gap to Google's product gets bigger and bigger.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
A friend of mine took this picture the other day. Microsoft fixed the typo the next day but we got a chuckle out of the irony

241nnmf.jpg

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Oh. LOL! Weird how the brain reads things based on a few letters. Jeez, that's a big sign too. I can imagine expensive to replace.

Yes, that's why when I design things I get someone else to proofread it. I've done meetings with Microsoft people and they are very careful with everything. I was surprised to see this easy mistake. And at LA Live of all places.

Fixed version:

20zwjzq.jpg

LXC101

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2014
This one goes to Microsoft.
I actually laughed. And yes, Siri needs some work.

penter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
So you forgot about all the "I'm a Mac" commercials that mocked the PC I guess?

oh shoot. :eek: I did...

Point taken... But to their defense, those were ads of a different nature - they were clever and funny, and never really explicitly targeted microsoft or any of their products by name (i think)...

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
oh shoot. :eek: I did...

Point taken... But to their defense, those were ads of a different nature - they were clever and funny, and never really explicitly targeted microsoft or any of their products by name (i think)...

They had a few ads where they targeted an OS by name that I can remember.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.