Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft today shared an ad that pits the Surface Pro 7 against Apple's iPad Pro, in a continuation of a Surface Pro 7 vs. MacBook ad campaign that kicked off in January.

The ad highlights the Surface Pro 7's kickstand, pointing out that the iPad does not have a built-in kickstand option, and it calls the iPad Pro's keyboard "a lot heavier" than the Surface option.

Microsoft also goes for the dongle angle, pointing out that the iPad Pro only has a single USB-C port while the Surface Pro 7 has several available ports. "You wanna be this guy?" says the actor in the ad, while holding up an iPad with a dongle attached.

"iPad Pro's just a tablet," adds the actor. "Surface is a whole computer and a tablet." The ad ends by pointing out the price with the iPad Pro Smart Keyboard, which comes to $1,348 for the 12.9-inch model ($999 + $349 for the keyboard). Microsoft's Surface Pro 7 is priced starting at $750, and Microsoft says the version used in the ad is $880, which includes the cost of the keyboard.

Microsoft's previous Surface Pro 7 ad compared the tablet to the MacBook Pro, pointing out its touchscreen vs. the Touch Bar and calling the Surface Pro a "much better gaming device" than the MacBook Pro.

Microsoft often likes to position its Surface line as a tablet/computer experience that Apple is unable to compete with because it has no convertible devices. Intel too has been claiming that touchscreen-based convertible computers are better than Apple's M1 Macs in its ongoing anti-Mac ad campaign.

Apple executives have long said that they have no plans to combine the Mac and iPad lineups, and Apple engineering chief Craig Federighi said in November that Apple does not have plans for a touchscreen Mac.

Article Link: Microsoft Pits Surface Pro 7 Against iPad Pro, Says Surface is 'Still the Better Choice'

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I’m sure this will be an unpopular opinion here, but yes I would choose the surface pro IF I were looking for a single device solution. iPad is a better tablet by far, but even now, it’s a poor substitute for a computer with a desktop OS.

Comment

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I’m sure this will be an unpopular opinion here, but yes I would choose the surface pro IF I were looking for a single device solution. iPad is a better tablet by far, but even now, it’s a poor substitute for a computer with a desktop OS.
Unpopular opinion???

We got them a few months ago, all of my colleagues complain about how bad these are, we asked for iPad pro's, got a barely working, battery consuming monstrosity instead.

Comment

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Apple should make a Mac tablet. Check out:

Will 2021 be the year Apple fans get their most wanted product?
Dreams can come true. And Apple's new M1 chip brings a product that fans have been asking for closer to reality.
In pretty sure Apple has repeatedly said they have no interest in doing this. And honestly, they shouldn’t - it would be better to make iPadOS more functional than to cram macOS on to an iPad.

Comment

apparatchik

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2008
That Surface is running an Intel i3 processor, has a fan, and its thicker, bulkier & heavier, almost a no go as a tablet (and let's not talk about tablet optimized apps in Windows), and at the same time is very slow as a laptop. The 2 in 1 Intel devices have always being a compromise, as they're usually inferior as both a tablet & a traditional laptop.

The iPad Pro is no laptop, but you get the best tablet experience available, best performance, battery life, app support, etc.

Comment

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
You are absolutely correct. And to Microsoft's credit, their Surface ads are fact-based.

At the same time, Microsoft cherry picks its strength. That is, Surface Pro is neither a great notebook nor great tablet. iPad has far more compelling selection of apps and superior industrial design, and iPadOS offers superior tablet experience.

I would much rather carry entry level iPad ($329) and entry level MacBook Air ($999) than 2-in-1 Jack-of-all-trade-master-of-none device like Surface Pro 7.

Comment

dtlee1974

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
I'm going to guess they didn't talk about how the Surface battery starts to bulge after 1 year and breaks the screen and Microsoft won't do anything to make it right? They talk about that? Didn't think so. They could give those pieces of crap away and I wouldn't have one.

Comment

JCCL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
For me it really is, and that's why I have chosen a Surface over an iPad several times, currently rocking a Surface Pro 6. Surface allows me to use a port replicator and dock it, use my standard productivity apps, and just use it as a normal computer - while also being flexible enough to use on the go.

There is no way I could see me doing my full Workflow on an iPad, anymore than I can on my iPhone. Yet the Surface Pro 6 allows me to do so flawlessly.

Comment

AlexESP

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2014
Apple should make a Mac tablet. Check out:

Will 2021 be the year Apple fans get their most wanted product?
Dreams can come true. And Apple's new M1 chip brings a product that fans have been asking for closer to reality.
Anything can happen in this life, but... iPad was a clear answer to the legacy TabletPC idea (started by HP-Microsoft and continued with the Surface) and they say every time they’re asked that they won’t make a TabletPC. Like it or not, I think it’s obvious that we won’t see that.

Comment

ddtmm

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
The Surface Pro 7 really is the better hardware, but if you’re partial to which OS you use, that’s a different story. Apple will never fully combine the features of a notebook with a tablet. Why would they when they can sell everyone 2 devices instead of 1?

Comment

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Try split screening two Chrome windows on a Surface and watch it struggle. What a joke.
It struggles with almost everything, I turned on facial recognition, works half the time, or can't find the camera...erm what, pinch to zoom is laggy and trying to set it to a certain zoom level is nearly impossible for instance using PDF files.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.