Microsoft products on a Mac? I think not!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TheRemoteGenius, Oct 14, 2009.

1. TheRemoteGenius macrumors newbie

Lately, one of the most common Mac questions I'm seeing pertains to anything Microsoft Office. True, many macs come preloaded with this "trial" software, but there has to be a better option right? Absolutely.There is no need to constantly be reminded that Microsoft wants money from you every time you try to open a document beyond the expiration of your 'free one month trial."

Time to free yourself completely of Office, as there are many far superior open source full office suites out there, and they're totally FREE. Donate if you like to keep the community and development alive.

My favorite option is NeoOffice, which can be downloaded free at http://neooffice.org

NeoOffice is totally native to Mac OSX and works like a dream. I've never looked back.

Try it for yourself and let me know how you like it. I assure you you'll be most satisfied every time you click on the new ship icon in your dock- It's smooth sailing ahead!

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

OpenOffice (now Aqua-native) is excellent too.

iWork is dah best! ;)

However, some people need features of M$ Office's Excel or Entourage.

3. MasterDev macrumors 65816

I've never seen a mac come, "pre-loaded" with MS Office.

4. TheRemoteGenius thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, OpenOffice is great too. I used that for a while, however it requires x11 to run. That's why I made the switch to NeoOffice-- it's totally native.

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Any reason for Entourage to exist has decreased a lot since Snow Leopard.

But you're absolutely right on Excel - it's a must for many people, and for more than basic spreadsheets, there's no good alternative.

Word is also nice for intercompatibility (keeping formatting intact on .doc files created in Office on Windows).

6. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

IIRC OO 3.0 and later doesn't need X11 anymore, and is Aqua native. :)

Exchange 2003...?

7. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

As the OP said, my mini (2006) came preloaded with an Office trial. I deleted it before the trial started.

mt

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Hopefully you use the removal application.

9. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Far superior? If your needs are simple, maybe. Anything complicated or needing compatibility with the business world, not a chance. I have tried NewOffice, Open Office and have Pages, and they sadly fall far short when it comes to working on big documents without screwing things up. Maybe someday, but not now.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

iWork is fine, but I would not say the best if I were asked about Numbers....

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Wow, another "Office sucks, use iWorkNeoOfficeOpenOffice" thread? zzz

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use open office. I found it works just as well as M$ office, in fact it works better because the last time I used office on the Mac it was a dog, performance was pitiful.

I also avoid using windows, since Ubuntu works better, is more stable, uses less resources then windows and it doesn't phone home every month to see if I'm a pirate.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well then you didn't need to post anything, you could have just scrolled on by instead of crapping on the thread.