Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nadyne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Mountain View, CA USA
Yeah i've tried that a couple of times to no avail. Like I say it used to be working fine, and now it's just stopped for no reason (the best reason i can think of it 12.1.3, when did that come out). The syncing to sync services does work, because I can sync to my phone using iSync etc. I just don't see anything in iCal or Organized.

If it's syncing to Sync Services, it is syncing to iCal. Make sure that you have the calendar named "Entourage" selected to display in iCal.

I'm going to go off on a tangent and explain a bit about how all of this works. Any application that hooks into Sync Services writes data to a database called the Truth. Entourage reads from and writes to the Truth, as does iCal. (There's a more in-depth discussion of this over on the Entourage MVP page, written by one of the members of the Entourage team: Sync Services basics.) So if something is syncing to Sync Services, that's the same thing as syncing to iCal.

If you continue having problems seeing the Entourage calendar in iCal, you're probably getting over my head. You might want to check out the Entourage public forums -- the Entourage MVPs monitor that group, and they're a great group of people who are hugely knowledgeable. I'm not an iCal expert, so I don't want to lead you astray.

Regards,
Nadyne.

SailorTom

macrumors regular
May 15, 2008
Sorry, everything is definately setup as it should be, I'm just not seeing anything in my iCal or Organized, except for the first week of october. Problem affects both calendar and tasks. Perhaps it's a problem with iCal, but i don't remember any updates for iCal recently. I'll have a look at those links though.

sdf

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2004
12.1.1... spaces?
12.1.2... spaces?
12.1.3... spaces?
12.1.4... you know the question.

Is it fixed yet?

I know it's Microsoft, but that's still not fair at all. Spaces is a Leopard feature, and it's up to Apple to fix it so it works properly.

ChiaJesus

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008
I'd just be happy if I could install the stupid update. Despite having running version 12.1.3 of Entourage (I just checked), and despite AutoUpdate encouraging me to download/install the update, when I go through the Installer program I get a stop sign icon through my Macintosh HD icon and a message saying "You cannot install Office 2008 12.1.4 Update on this volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume."

arun.agarwala

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2008
Helpp!!!

Hi Guys,

Can someone please help me with Entourage. We've got a MAC at work (the one and only MAC). I've setup 2 user's on it, one with admin rights and the other account with no admin rights.

Entourage seems to work fine with my exchange server under the admin account, syn'c and downloads emails fine
When I login as the 2nd user, entourage prompts me for a username and password, but does not sync with the exchange server.

Any help would be appreciated.

Btw.. its office 2008 and exchange server 2007.

Thanks

nadyne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Mountain View, CA USA
I'd just be happy if I could install the stupid update. Despite having running version 12.1.3 of Entourage (I just checked), and despite AutoUpdate encouraging me to download/install the update, when I go through the Installer program I get a stop sign icon through my Macintosh HD icon and a message saying "You cannot install Office 2008 12.1.4 Update on this volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume."

Have you moved the Office folder? Have you run an application like Xslimmer or Monolingual?

Entourage seems to work fine with my exchange server under the admin account, syn'c and downloads emails fine
When I login as the 2nd user, entourage prompts me for a username and password, but does not sync with the exchange server.

Do you get an error message? If you open the progress window (in Entourage, go to the Window menu, then select Progress), what do you see when Entourage tries to sync?

Regards,
Nadyne.

jules2008

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2008
MS Office Update Error after running monolingual on my Mac

Hi nadyne,
You hit the nailed in the head asking about Monolingual. I happen to have downloaded and ran that app last week. Could that be the cause of my getting the MS Office Update error mentioned above? Could you please suggest a fix for that?
Thanks in advance for any help,
Jules

nadyne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Mountain View, CA USA
You hit the nailed in the head asking about Monolingual. I happen to have downloaded and ran that app last week. Could that be the cause of my getting the MS Office Update error mentioned above? Could you please suggest a fix for that?

I've got a fix, but you're probably not going to like it. :(

Uninstall Office. Reinstall Office using the custom installation to only install what you need to save disk space (since that's usually why people run Monolingual). Finally, reinstall the updates in order (12.1, 12.1.1, 12.1.2, 12.1.3, and 12.1.4).

To avoid this problem in the future, don't run Monolingual on a machine on which you've installed Office. If you want more details about why apps like Monolingual and Xslimmer cause problems with your Office install, check out this blog post from one of our senior developers: leave those bits alone!

Regards,
Nadyne.

SailorTom

macrumors regular
May 15, 2008
See these steps to reset Sync Services in Entourage and this Apple KB Resetting the Sync Services folder.

If you set your Exchange account as the default account in Tools>Account, the main Exchange Address Book and Calendar will be the ones that sync.

Always work with backups when syncing.

Problem solved
i reset all the sync services as suggested using entourage data. it was probably a good idea anyway just as a clean up. It didn't actually solve my problem immediately. In the end, because i was resetting everything, i deleted the entourage calendar out of ical before re-syncing and it all works ok now. Don't know what was the cause of the problem. it seems odd ical/sync services would just randomly stop working. anyway's all's well as ends well. Thanks for your help :)

jonnyspeed

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2006
This works for 12.1.4 if it says 'You cannot install Office 2008 12.1.4 Update on this volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume.'

1) Download the 12.1.4 update directly from Microsoft's Mactopia website.
2) Mount the downloaded DMG file and copy the installer to your desktop.
3) Right-click the installer and select "show package contents"
4) Navigate to Office 2008 12.1.4
Update/Contents/Resources/package_updatable and open the file in TextEdit
5) Scroll to the first line that says "found_valid_version="
6) ensure this says "found_valid_version=True"
7) Then delete all the text below right to the end of the file.
8) Close the window, it will ask if you want to overwrite the file. Say yes.
9) Close the finder window and then run the installer like normal.
10) Reboot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.