Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

132418-office_2008.jpg

Microsoft today issued a handful of updates for users of the company's Office productivity suite, primarily addressing security issues.

- Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.2.4 Update (221 MB): The update offers several fixes related to stability and performance, as well as patches for security vulnerabilities.

- Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.5.8 Update (9.7 MB): The update addresses security issues that could allow an attacker to inject malicious code into a system's memory.

- Open XML File Format Converter for Mac 1.1.4 (45.0 MB): An update to Microsoft's tool that allows documents saved in the new Office 2007/2008 formats to be opened on earlier versions of Office, the documentation does not appear to specify the exact changes included in this new version of the converter software.

- Microsoft Entourage 2008 for Mac, Web Services Edition (64.3 MB): The update to Microsoft's tools allowing users to communicate with Exchange Server brings several new features including calendaring improvements, diagnostic logging, and syncing of notes, tasks, and categories with Exchange Server.

Article Link: Microsoft Releases Software Updates for Office 2008 and 2004

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Hmm i'm always wary of these updates. Has anyone done it and come out unscathed?

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
I did a Auto update and it said there is currently no update? WTF?:confused:

Could someone explain to me what is going on?

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
Word, Excel, and PowerPoint seem much faster to launch now.

I'm surprised how much faster Word launches. It's noticeable.

I tried the AutoUpdate as well but as usual, these updates take a while to show up through that program. You need to go Microsoft's site to download this update if you want it now.

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX

I had this problem too. I just downloaded it manually and it worked (Office for Mac 2004). I also +1 to the booting up faster... at least they're still working on '04. I'm surprised it got updated at all :D

Paradigm

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2008

Click the links above at the beginning of this thread. The updates are available directly from MS Downloads site right now.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Thank you so much for everyone answering my question. I thought it had to do with their server end and nothing new from Microsoft at being slow. Have the same issue with Vista on my Dell notebook when new updates are out I sometimes don't get them for like a month or so.

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
Man, launch is downright snappy. Hope all the dumb hangs, crashes, etc. are fixed, not sure yet.

And if anyone is curious, this update does not seem to update anything having to do with licences and/or serials. If you know what I mean :D

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
FWIW, this update doesn't fix the problem with Snow Leopard machines (bound to Active Directory) being unable to save Office files to some SMB network shares. Fortunately, this problem typically only effects enterprise-level customers. :(

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
Please, report back when you open Word on a COLD start and NOT directly after having applied the update!

It’s snappy as hell always when Mac OS caches it into the memory after you launched it the first time. :D

impierced

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2002
Still can't send an email address in the body of an Entourage for Web Services email and have it be honored in anything other than Entourage.

Thanks MS. :rolleyes:

gdigger

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2009
Man, launch is downright snappy. Hope all the dumb hangs, crashes, etc. are fixed, not sure yet.

And if anyone is curious, this update does not seem to update anything having to do with licences and/or serials. If you know what I mean :D

good to know!

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
I applied, restarted the system, launched. Still 15-20 sec launch which is ridiculously long.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
I'm always surprised when I find out people use Messenger

Well Skype is a bit rarer but used, though its more likely you would ask someone to log onto Skype than see them already logged in.
I have not heard of anyone outside of the USA using AIM, and few using Yahoo.

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
I had this problem too. I just downloaded it manually and it worked (Office for Mac 2004). I also +1 to the booting up faster... at least they're still working on '04. I'm surprised it got updated at all :D
They're kind of boxed in on doing minimal support for Office 2004 because of Macros. IIRC, the M$ rep who lurks here on MR said they didn't have the "resources" to make them work in Office 2008. Because when I think of Microsoft, I think, "there's an under-resourced company."

M$ will drop support for 2004 and 2008 the minute Office 2011 hits the market, regardless of how well it works, just to force everyone to buy it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.