Microsoft reverses Xbox One DRM

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by roadbloc, Jun 19, 2013.

1. roadbloc, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013

roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/19/xbox-one-drm-used-games-reversal/

If it is true, this is good news. Xbox One80.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Wow. That's huge if true. Not just in terms of next gen competition but in a company the size of MS responding to customer outrage over a 'core' portion of a product.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Hmmm I do wonder if this is true. MS hasn't really overturned a decision on any product not yet shipped like this before, have they?

4. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

Great news for gamers everywhere - too much permanent damage has been done for me already - I'm happy about this change, but know Microsoft's heart and real desire for the future of gaming is different from mine.

Very happy though ...

5. roadbloc thread starter macrumors G3

roadbloc

Not recently that I know of. There is always a first for everything I guess and this might just be it.

6. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Tis true. All the text since their site is loading slow at the moment.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

7. tigress666 macrumors 68040

This is really good. It goes to show how badly MS's pre sales were when a stubborn company like MS actually caves this quick. It means other publishers and game makers will be taking note and realizing how much a failure it will be if they try these measures.

This is good whether you are a playstation or xbox fanboy. Though maybe not so good for Sony that could have used having that good of a success (even if it was because of such failure attitude from the competition).

8. AT06 macrumors 6502

AT06

Typical Microsoft - always out of touch with what modern consumers want. Just look at their lack of W8 coverage, lack of surface sales, and now this backtracking. They really need to fire their market research department.

9. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Good news for everyone involved! We will all benefit from Sony and MS being strong competitors.

It's kind of embarrassing for them though, to have to backtrack like that. The only thing missing from a complete and utter loss of face would have been a new $399 price tag. :rolleyes:

10. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

Sticking with PS4, Im done with MS being a childish company.

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

looks to be pretty chilly in hell now ... one could even say freezing...

chalk this victory up for the customers though .. i suspect the pre order numbers for the ps4 were talking a loud and clear message that was even heard in Redmond

though after this fiasco Don Mattrick will very likely be leaving his post rather sooner than later "to re-align his work life balance" or whatever the 'official' wording will be when getting reassigned to the Microsoft Siberia Research & Development Group

the question will be if they can get back the trust of their customers back fast enough. A lot of gamers turned away from them. Sure a big amount will turn back but 100% ?
    Within _10 days_ Microsoft did a 180° and turned they strategy around completely. They could easily do that again once the console is released... i can hear the argument "they did it before" already now
    the'll now have to rework their online system architecture, the console operating system, game developers will have to change their code etc.

12. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

They could, but they'd kill the Xbox One in the process. They need strong quarter to quarter sales during the life of the console so it's not like they can rope people in, then after the first year or two, switch gears again. The moment they go back to 'Plan A' sales will tank, the PS4 will 'win', and it will just be Nintendo and Sony going forward as MS will have lost all consumer trust.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I guess those pre-orders were more than a little shocking for them to ignore. The consumer wins. :)

Now we have a proper next gen battle again !! :)

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

So no DRM but if you buy the disc you must use the disc to play the game. One step forward, two steps back.

I liked the concept of no difference between downloading and buying a disc in a store. What I had hoped is MS would figure out some way to attach a UDID or something to each disc and therefore you could have a reseller deactivate that game or something if you sell the disc. You could also create a marketplace to sell the license to that software through Microsoft if you bought a download.

This is what I wish Apple could achieve so we could sell used music, TV shows and movies. It's possible. It would just take a lot of negotiation with studios and software development.

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

MS backpeddling like this now makes this a race again. Only time will tell if the damage already done can be reversed but I'm happy they took there foot out of there mouth.

Still that issue of price and the camera thing but oh well..

Bless

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah it's $499 but that includes kinect 2, pS4 with the new PSEye is actually $469 so there actually isn't a huge difference and remember you'll need the camera to make use of the motion tracking stuff in te bundled dual shock 4

17. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

What's so bad about that? This is how it should be with a physical copy. You don't play the game off the disc. So, you don't have to deal with disc loading and seeking. The disc is there just to verify the game is real.

18. APlotdevice, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Short of new legislation, the studios would never yield. They have longed to see the second hand market die.

19. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

For me personally, I've yet to see a game that requires the Kinect/PSEye that is of interest to me. I think the Kinect technology is very cool, but I just don't see it as being something I'd want to use on a regular basis. Also it creeps me out to have a camera/mic running in my house.

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Especially given some of the channels available through cable TV ? I wonder if it will offer achievements for nookie on the sofa :D Got to go for gold! :D:D

21. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Haha... "Kinects post make-out determination........ she's not into you. Retry/Quit?"

22. mslide macrumors 6502a

Doesn't matter as far as I'm concerned. The damage has been done. They're morons for thinking consumers would have initially been ok with the DRM and whatnot. The extra $100 doesn't exactly help either (I couldn't care less about kinect). It's still either a PS4, Wii U or PC for me.

23. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

24. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

25. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

I would've been okay with it

Would've led to cheaper games 2 years from now.

Instead we get fixed $60-70 prices for the next 7 years