Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft today introduced the Surface Book 2, the second generation of its high-end notebook and tablet hybrid.

surface-book-2-duo-800x369.jpg

The new Surface Book 2 is equipped with Intel's latest eighth-generation Core processors, up to NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 graphics, up to 16GB of RAM, and up to 17 hours of battery life based on video playback.

Microsoft says those tech specs make the Surface Book 2 up to five times more powerful than the original Surface Book, and twice as powerful as the latest MacBook Pro, but it didn't specify which configurations.

surface-book-2-vs-macbook-pro.jpg

Microsoft's comparisons to its primary competitor didn't end there. On its website, it said the Surface Book 2 has 70 percent more battery life than the latest MacBook Pro, which lasts up to 10 hours on a single charge.

The new Surface Book 2 is available with a 13.5-inch or 15-inch display that can be detached from the keyboard and used as a tablet. The display can also be folded or reattached in Studio Mode or View Mode.

Microsoft added that the Surface Book 2 has 45 percent more pixels than the latest MacBook Pro. The 15-inch model has a resolution of 3240x2160 pixels, good for 267 PPI, while the 15-inch MacBook Pro is 2880x1800 and 220 PPI.

The notebook is equipped with two USB 3.1 ports, one USB-C port, a full-size SD card slot, and a 3.5mm headphone jack. It also has a proprietary SurfaceConnect port that allows a Surface Dock to be connected.

surface-book-2-side-view-800x239.jpg

Surface Dock, available separately for $199, has two Mini DisplayPorts, one Gigabit Ethernet port, four USB 3.0 ports, and one audio out port.

As a Windows PC, the Surface Book 2 will be compatible with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update released today.

Surface Book 2 starts at $1,499 for the 13.5-inch model with a Core i5 processor, Intel HD Graphics 620, 8GB of RAM, and 256GB of SSD storage. More powerful 13.5-inch configurations are available for up to $2,999.

The 15-inch model starts at $2,499 with a Core i7 processor, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 graphics, 8GB of RAM, and 256GB of SSD storage. More powerful 15-inch configurations are available for up to $3,299.

Surface Book 2 pre-orders begin November 9 on Microsoft's website and at its retail stores in the United States and select other countries. Deliveries will begin when the device launches November 16.

Article Link: Microsoft Says Its New Surface Book 2 is Twice as Powerful as Latest MacBook Pro

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I’m surprised people aren’t complaining about the bezels as there are other Windows laptops with much smaller bezels. I get why Microsoft can only compare to Apple but the tech media doesn’t. Why aren’t they comparing to other Windows laptops?

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
I’m surprised people aren’t complaining about the bezels as there are other Windows laptops with much smaller bezels. I get why Microsoft can only compare to Apple but the tech media doesn’t. Why aren’t they comparing to other Windows laptops?

The bezels are quite useful because you can also use this device as a tablet. You need bezels to put your thumbs somewhere.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
But you still have to run a dogs breakfast of an OS on it.

I find it amusing how someone could treat Windows as such as POS OS, when it's powering so many businesses (particularly financial services) responsible for trillions upon trillions.

The OS isn't that complicated, or rubbish - and let's not pretend macOS is some kind of perfect OS either.

suddenlyissoon

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
I was going back and forth between a new Macbook Pro & a Surface Laptop for work in the past few weeks. I would've bought the Surface Book 2 over the Macbook Pro without a doubt. I guess since I spec'd out my Macbook Pro & it's shipping from China I can't return it now though.

Reactions: theSpringZone

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Not really a fan of laptops/desktops anymore, but I suppose these are nice for people that prefer Windows. Although I am sure there are cheaper options out there. Hopefully Microsoft's hardware issues have been fixed also. I think they are finding out it's harder than they thought.

Reactions: AxiomaticRubric

M.PaulCezanne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2014
I find it amusing how someone could treat Windows as such as POS OS, when it's powering so many businesses (particularly financial services) responsible for trillions upon trillions.

The OS isn't that complicated, or rubbish - and let's not pretend macOS is some kind of perfect OS either.
Responsible for millions upon millions in maintenance costs paid to Microsoft, that's for sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.