Microsoft Says Its New Surface Book 2 is Twice as Powerful as Latest MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 17, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Microsoft today introduced the Surface Book 2, the second generation of its high-end notebook and tablet hybrid.

[​IMG]

The new Surface Book 2 is equipped with Intel's latest eighth-generation Core processors, up to NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 graphics, up to 16GB of RAM, and up to 17 hours of battery life based on video playback.

Microsoft says those tech specs make the Surface Book 2 up to five times more powerful than the original Surface Book, and twice as powerful as the latest MacBook Pro, but it didn't specify which configurations.

[​IMG]

Microsoft's comparisons to its primary competitor didn't end there. On its website, it said the Surface Book 2 has 70 percent more battery life than the latest MacBook Pro, which lasts up to 10 hours on a single charge.

The new Surface Book 2 is available with a 13.5-inch or 15-inch display that can be detached from the keyboard and used as a tablet. The display can also be folded or reattached in Studio Mode or View Mode.

Microsoft added that the Surface Book 2 has 45 percent more pixels than the latest MacBook Pro. The 15-inch model has a resolution of 3240x2160 pixels, good for 267 PPI, while the 15-inch MacBook Pro is 2880x1800 and 220 PPI.

The notebook is equipped with two USB 3.1 ports, one USB-C port, a full-size SD card slot, and a 3.5mm headphone jack. It also has a proprietary SurfaceConnect port that allows a Surface Dock to be connected.

[​IMG]

Surface Dock, available separately for $199, has two Mini DisplayPorts, one Gigabit Ethernet port, four USB 3.0 ports, and one audio out port.

As a Windows PC, the Surface Book 2 will be compatible with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update released today.

Surface Book 2 starts at $1,499 for the 13.5-inch model with a Core i5 processor, Intel HD Graphics 620, 8GB of RAM, and 256GB of SSD storage. More powerful 13.5-inch configurations are available for up to $2,999.

The 15-inch model starts at $2,499 with a Core i7 processor, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 graphics, 8GB of RAM, and 256GB of SSD storage. More powerful 15-inch configurations are available for up to $3,299.

Surface Book 2 pre-orders begin November 9 on Microsoft's website and at its retail stores in the United States and select other countries. Deliveries will begin when the device launches November 16.

Article Link: Microsoft Says Its New Surface Book 2 is Twice as Powerful as Latest MacBook Pro

2. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

But you still have to run a dogs breakfast of an OS on it.

3. rpat701 macrumors member

4. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

Sounds awesome. But it runs Windows...

[Actually, Windows isn't half too bad these days o_O]

5. Rafterman macrumors 68000

Thankfully, they got rid of that stupid accordion looking hinge.

6. prowlmedia Suspended

7. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502

It took a while but the competition is finally putting out consistent compelling products. Too bad iMessage keeps me from trying anything else. Lol

8. prowlmedia Suspended

You mean that hinge in the first photo?

9. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Looks to me like the same price as their MBP counterparts. Does that mean we can stop bitching about Apple's prices being too high?

10. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I’m surprised people aren’t complaining about the bezels as there are other Windows laptops with much smaller bezels. I get why Microsoft can only compare to Apple but the tech media doesn’t. Why aren’t they comparing to other Windows laptops?

11. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

Wow RIP macbook pro.....this is how you innovate and make a amazing looking device. The 15 inch use to be a dream and now it's here.............

12. littyboy macrumors 6502a

Windows has come a long way. It's a lot better than what people think.

13. ticlortic macrumors newbie

ticlortic

14. AndyMacAndMic macrumors member

AndyMacAndMic

The bezels are quite useful because you can also use this device as a tablet. You need bezels to put your thumbs somewhere.

15. TimeSquareDesi macrumors 6502

TimeSquareDesi

We have a ton of these at work and almost all of them have hardware issues. Hopefully Book 2 has fixed these...

16. falkon-engine macrumors newbie

Sounds more much more appealing than Apple's latest "innovation." But I do prefer MacOS though; windows, hmmm... it's okay.

17. M.PaulCezanne macrumors 6502

M.PaulCezanne

That's because it looks almost identical to the Macbook Pro. So does the ad photography.

They might have built a better machine than the Mac, but they are definitely still afraid of it.

18. Ma2k5 macrumors 6502a

Ma2k5

I find it amusing how someone could treat Windows as such as POS OS, when it's powering so many businesses (particularly financial services) responsible for trillions upon trillions.

The OS isn't that complicated, or rubbish - and let's not pretend macOS is some kind of perfect OS either.

19. suddenlyissoon macrumors newbie

I was going back and forth between a new Macbook Pro & a Surface Laptop for work in the past few weeks. I would've bought the Surface Book 2 over the Macbook Pro without a doubt. I guess since I spec'd out my Macbook Pro & it's shipping from China I can't return it now though.

20. M.PaulCezanne macrumors 6502

M.PaulCezanne

Nope.

21. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

So the 15" has half the RAM for $100 more?

That does not strike me as all that impressive - but I'll bet the keyboard is better. ;)

22. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

While true and welcome it’s still a maintenance headache compared to macOS.

23. Mr. Mad Vibes macrumors member

Mr. Mad Vibes

Apple just need to update up their game in graphic cards. Other than that. Ill stick with a Macbook Pro for now

24. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

Not really a fan of laptops/desktops anymore, but I suppose these are nice for people that prefer Windows. Although I am sure there are cheaper options out there. Hopefully Microsoft's hardware issues have been fixed also. I think they are finding out it's harder than they thought.

25. M.PaulCezanne macrumors 6502

M.PaulCezanne

Responsible for millions upon millions in maintenance costs paid to Microsoft, that's for sure.