Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
A lot of companies have been working on smart watches - long before Apple "announced" they were working on one.

I don`t think it is just coincidence that we hear rumors about these other companies one or two days after there is a rumor about Apple working on something similar.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
That's great news for Apple. Now it'll take Microsoft 5 years to complete and it'll be garbage when it ships.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
All relative. It's more about seamless integration. And if you're an iOS user - I'm guessing Apple will provide a superior product for iOS users. And conversely - if you're a MS user - then their smartwatch will offer better integration for their ecosystem.

A lot of companies have been working on smart watches - long before Apple "announced" they were working on one.

Yea, about 5-10 years ago it was the craze. And they all failed. Now its the craze again with Apple "supposedly" working on one, and everyone rushing to beat Apple to market with something they THINK Apple might do.

To say a new product we have never even seen yet will be all about "integration" is short sighted. You're thinking in terms of how you've been conditioned to think about a "smart watch," a watch and a mini-pc combined in one. If Apple is going to enter this market, I see them completely tossing aside ALL conventional wisdom and really starting from square one to reimagine the concept entirely. Just like the iPhone wasn't just an iPod that made phone calls, or just like the iPad wasn't just a Macbook with a touch screen, they will likely zig where others zag.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
What exactly is MS's ecosystem that would make a smart watch work for them? I thought MS was trying to suggest that W8 was made for work, creation, using the wide range of existing Windows software?

Watches, from any company, are simply consumption devices. Even standard watches today are worn for two basic reasons - function (telling time/date) and decoration.

This idea of a smart watch category seems like a big stretch to me. So you see a Twitter feed or FB status update on your watch, then what? Then you have to pull out your phone or tablet or laptop to respond?

Sure, it could be used as a wireless key or password alternative, but even then, I'm just not sure how any company sees it being more than just a fad.

Frankly, I think watches are today, for many people simply a form of jewelry. If we carry an iPhone (or any smart phone, tablet or laptop), the idea that we even "need" a watch is foolish at best as a functional item. We can already see the time and date on a smartphone, plus the weather, stocks, twitter feeds, email, etc. A watch has become a status symbol for many people and a cheap plastic watch with glowing screen feels like a return to the late 70's and early 80's where companies tried to make watches do things like be calculators (I had one). It was awful at both being a watch and a calculator.

If you say the watch allows you to see incoming texts or emails without getting your smartphone or tablet out is all well and fine, but if you say that it's for business settings where you don't want to be pulling out your phone or tablet - I have to say that looking at your watch in a meeting, with a spouse or significant other, at school, etc is still a bad behavior. Before smartphones, it was watches that people were distracted by.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
What exactly is MS's ecosystem that would make a smart watch work for them? I thought MS was trying to suggest that W8 was made for work, creation, using the wide range of existing Windows software?

Watches, from any company, are simply consumption devices. Even standard watches today are worn for two basic reasons - function (telling time/date) and decoration.

This idea of a smart watch category seems like a big stretch to me. So you see a Twitter feed or FB status update on your watch, then what? Then you have to pull out your phone or tablet or laptop to respond?

Sure, it could be used as a wireless key or password alternative, but even then, I'm just not sure how any company sees it being more than just a fad.

Frankly, I think watches are today, for many people simply a form of jewelry. If we carry an iPhone (or any smart phone, tablet or laptop), the idea that we even "need" a watch is foolish at best as a functional item. We can already see the time and date on a smartphone, plus the weather, stocks, twitter feeds, email, etc. A watch has become a status symbol for many people and a cheap plastic watch with glowing screen feels like a return to the late 70's and early 80's where companies tried to make watches do things like be calculators (I had one). It was awful at both being a watch and a calculator.

If you say the watch allows you to see incoming texts or emails without getting your smartphone or tablet out is all well and fine, but if you say that it's for business settings where you don't want to be pulling out your phone or tablet - I have to say that looking at your watch in a meeting, with a spouse or significant other, at school, etc is still a bad behavior. Before smartphones, it was watches that people were distracted by.

Which is exactly why Tim Cook said the category is "ripe for exploration." Many people just think of a smart watch as a mini smartphone accessory for your wrist. This is how we've been conditioned to imagine something based on collective wisdom up til now. Seeing things from your phone, simply on a smaller screen worn on your wrist easier to access. I see much more potential in this area. If you take those two core functions for a watch, decoration and easily glanceable information, you could build on top of that and end up with something entirely different than the traditional concept of a watch. I think having something with modern technology attached to your wrist at all times opens up an enormous amount of possibilites, it just takes a little imagination. A mini "smartphone accessory" is just the tip of the iceberg, there's so much more beneath the surface. Someone just needs to have thinking clear enough to discover it.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I don`t think it is just coincidence that we hear rumors about these other companies one or two days after there is a rumor about Apple working on something similar.

No. Your timing is off

Yea, about 5-10 years ago it was the craze. And they all failed. Now its the craze again with Apple "supposedly" working on one, and everyone rushing to beat Apple to market with something they THINK Apple might do.

To say a new product we have never even seen yet will be all about "integration" is short sighted. You're thinking in terms of how you've been conditioned to think about a "smart watch," a watch and a mini-pc combined in one. If Apple is going to enter this market, I see them completely tossing aside ALL conventional wisdom and really starting from square one to reimagine the concept entirely. Just like the iPhone wasn't just an iPod that made phone calls, or just like the iPad wasn't just a Macbook with a touch screen, they will likely zig where others zag.

Yay - you have an opinion. Why is yours more or less short sighted than mine. Hint. It isn't. Until any of these products become more physical and less rumor - I think it's anyone's game.

And I disagree - you're READING about it more because Apple's comments. That doesn't mean there hasn't been any more or less traction by other companies before Apple said a word. Oh - forgot where I was though - clearly Apple was first.... :rolleyes:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Honestly, if apple announced they were working on a magical iBrick these other companies would start developing one as well. :rolleyes:

You mean how since Pebble was announced and blitzed through Kickstarter that other tech companies want a slice of this pie too?

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
Honestly, if apple announced they were working on a magical iBrick these other companies would start developing one as well. :rolleyes:

You're not seriously trying to imply that Apple was the first company to ever consider a watch-like device that did more than tell time, are you?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
You're not seriously trying to imply that Apple was the first company to ever consider a watch-like device that did more than tell time, are you?

Maybe he's suggesting Apple putting out a product that self-bricks without even jailbreaking :p

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
The move to the Surface group underlines a recent organizational change at Microsoft that aligns Xbox hardware and Surface hardware into a single division ...

Good move. Lump losing products (Surface) together with profitable products (Xbox) to hide the losses. That will help to minimize Ballmer's embarrassment when he tap-dances around Microsoft's mobile results in those pesky quarterly earnings reports.

luckysob

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2011
Damn smart watches better be water resistant. Would not want to destroy my device while washing my hands, or forgetting to take it off before washing the dishes.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Good move. Lump losing products (Surface) together with profitable products (Xbox) to hide the losses. That will help to minimize Ballmer's embarrassment when he tap-dances around Microsoft's mobile results in those pesky quarterly earnings reports.

Yet when Apple does it, it's called creating an ecosystem

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011

What I think he's trying to say is there may be existing products for a certain type of technology, but it seems whenever Apple gets involved that's when the interest of the general population takes notice of that technology. Look at mp3 players. There were lots to choose from way before the iPod ever came out, but Apple brought the "cool" factor into the equation. The iPhone when it came out lacked several features existing smartphones had, but it had that cool factor and smooth touch screen. Generally people weren't that interested or even knew about smart phones. The majority of people still had flip phones, phones with antenna, or a Blackberry. You have to admit the industry pays close attention to what is going on at Cupertino. Smart watches? Many have tried, but they haven't caught on except for Pebble. If Pebble was a flop then I don't think Apple would've gone in that direction.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
What I think he's trying to say is there may be existing products for a certain type of technology, but it seems whenever Apple gets involved that's when the interest of the general population takes notice of that technology. Look at mp3 players. There were lots to choose from way before the iPod ever came out, but Apple brought the "cool" factor into the equation. The iPhone when it came out lacked several features existing smartphones had, but it had that cool factor and smooth touch screen. Generally people weren't that interested or even knew about smart phones. The majority of people still had flip phones, phones with antenna, or a Blackberry. You have to admit the industry pays close attention to what is going on at Cupertino. Smart watches? Many have tried, but they haven't caught on except for Pebble. If Pebble was a flop then I don't think Apple would've gone in that direction.

I don't think you want to suggest that the blackberry wasn't a smart phone. Nor that generally people weren't interested in smart phones. The treo was doing very well too. The average joe might not have needed or wanted one. But you also have to remember - initially - iPhone sales weren't anything to get excited about. It took quite awhile before it was "popular."

And I'm not sure why people think companies live in bubbles only paying attention to press or product launches. It's as if they think companies aren't developing products all the time and either haven't released them and/or have they tabled until technology comes around that makes it more affordable or can produce the results they want.

But I guess it's easier to believe that every company twiddles their thumb waiting on an Apple "rumor" to go to the chalk board :rolleyes:

macs4nw

macrumors 601
.....Along with Microsoft and Apple, both Google and Samsung are said to be working on smart watches of their own. At this point in time, it seems all companies are in the testing phases with no indication of which smart watch might hit the market first.

Article Link: Microsoft Shifts Smart Watch Prototype Testing to Surface Hardware Team

Whoever hits the market first, is success-wise irrelevant. Whoever does it best, will succeed. Sorry APPLE-haters, the expectations are high from all entrants, but all eyes are on APPLE, and they do have a distinct advantage here, with their tightly and seamlessly integrated iOS ecosystem, which will no doubt figure heavily in this new device category.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Whoever hits the market first, is success-wise irrelevant. Whoever does it best, will succeed. Sorry APPLE-haters, the expectations are high from all entrants, but all eyes are on APPLE, and they do have a distinct advantage here, with their tightly and seamlessly integrated iOS ecosystem, which will no doubt figure heavily in this new device category.

That's both good and bad for Apple.

And I'm not sure how much an ecosystem will play into this. So I'm not sure they have a DISTINCT advantage. What they have is a history of creating aesthetically pleasing products with cool interfaces.

youradhere4222

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2007
I think a smart watch is such a mediocre idea. It'd be great if Apple was purposely leaking fake information about their plans for an "iWatch" to throw their competitors off the trail.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
No. Your timing is off

Yay - you have an opinion. Why is yours more or less short sighted than mine. Hint. It isn't. Until any of these products become more physical and less rumor - I think it's anyone's game.

And I disagree - you're READING about it more because Apple's comments. That doesn't mean there hasn't been any more or less traction by other companies before Apple said a word. Oh - forgot where I was though - clearly Apple was first.... :rolleyes:

I never said there wasn't any interest or any developments in the area before Apple came tumbling in. I was suggesting that interest certainly HEIGHTENED when other companies saw this as a potential area that Apple might pursue, seeing as Apple places bets carefully and generally has a good track record. And don't give me that, smart watches have been pursued for many many years, and they've never had any traction. Interest certainly picked up again in recent years, but nowhere near the point of it being "the next battleground" in tech like its being played up today.

You know, its incredibly annoying when people like you come to fan sites, knowing full well that the site is populated by fans (or fanboys, depending on your maturity level), and playing the whole game of "look at me everyone, I'm above you because I'm unbiased and think logically and you're just a lousy fan with distorted insight." Congratulations, here's a trophie. You're the first person to ever come on Macrumors with a REAL sense of reality. Way to go.

Last edited:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

Yeah of course they would, because Apple have INVENTED the smart watch haven't they?

Think about it......

As for the watches, only ones worth getting will be the Google Nexus one or the Apple one. both have good experience with small sized gadgets.
But I still think the interest in smart watches is going to basically match that of 3D televisions, it'll be a fad that fades out fast, people will soon get tired of charging their watches every 7 day's or less and begin to think what's the point, I have a smart phone?

creepy arm!

am i the only one who thinks watches are as over hyped as 3d tv?

Nope. But I do think you missed out the word 'smart' in your comment?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

Didn't you know, everything Apple produces is original and no one ever thought of it before.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels

That's called second mover advantage. Apple is extremely good at this. So is Samsung. Ironically when Apple does it, people say it's ok because they did it better. When Samsung does it, people complain all they do is copy

lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.