Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Microsoft Signs Leases to Open Retail Stores in Arizona and California

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

According to CNET, Microsoft has confirmed that it has signed leases for upcoming retail stores in Scottsdale, Arizona and Mission Viejo, California. The stores are among the first in Microsoft's retail store initiative that is planned to directly compete with Apple's retail stores in a number of locations beginning later this year.
The Orange County, Calif., store is in a mall that already houses an Apple retail store. Microsoft Chief Operating Officer Kevin Turner said at this month's Worldwide Partner Conference that some of the locations would be right near Apple stores.

The first stores' fall opening comes at an opportune time for Microsoft, which is launching Windows 7 on October 22.
According to a presentation from Microsoft's retail consultant leaked last week, concepts for the stores include an "Answer Bar" or "Guru Bar" similar to Apple's Genius Bar, large digital media walls presenting dynamic information and images, and themed "stage areas" for various Microsoft technologies utilizing "Surface" multi-touch tables for interactive experiences.

Microsoft has reportedly hired former Apple real estate chief George Blankenship as a consultant to assist the company with securing locations for its new retail stores.

Article Link: Microsoft Signs Leases to Open Retail Stores in Arizona and California

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
wow, the layout of the computers on the counters on the wall with banners above looks vaguely familiar.... but idk where....:eek::D:apple:

but i do think the surface thing is kinda cool. i might go in just to play with it.

LillieDesigns

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
Los Angeles
It is crazy how Microsoft directly rips off Apple and do not even try to hide it. After my 360 broke and they refused to fix it I now own ZERO Microsoft products, nor will I ever own any again. Good luck Microsoft :apple:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
As much as I like and use Windows XP on my iMac (and my next machine will be a homebuild PC for gaming), I just wouldn't use these shops and I don't see much point in them. I know Microsoft sell hardware too but it's mostly just peripherals. What will this shop sell? Xbox games at a premium, peripherals and some software?

HailToTheVictor

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2007
If some of the stores are right next to Apple stores, I think it would lead to some great window displays. Something like, LOL ->, or a banner with PC poking his head around the corner and asking if can come over. That said, this will only bring about more competition and better end products.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
All those blue panels and screens on that image.... I'm just waiting for someone to Photoshop in a BSOD.

Is this a sign that Microsoft is really concerned about Apple? When you've got 95% of the market share, on a platform that pretty much locks you into buying more products from the same company, is it really necessary to spend millions of dollars on stores to promote yourself? Doesn't virtually every household already own some sort of Microsoft product? It sounds to me like they're desperate to keep themselves in the public spotlight.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2008
You'd think they would want to open many stores in time for Christmas not just 2.:confused:

Sep 13, 2008
I love how Microsoft are getting worried by Apple. Must be hard making a loss whilst Apple's profits go up.

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
They could revive "the Social" and have Zune music events and whatnot with local bands and creatives. The Answer Bar is lame, they should have thought of a different name. It is a great way to show that they aren't an inhuman OS company like everyone teases them for being. Personally, I am excited to play with Surface. They also have the gamer advantage, might be a good idea to express that through Windows, not just Xbox.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Its going to have a few bar's like the Apple store does, however Microsofts will be:
  • Virus Removal Bar
  • Malware Removal Bar
  • Defragmentation Bar
  • Registry Cleaning Bar (HLdan)
  • Windows Customer Frustration Counceling Bar
  • The "Let us call the tech support guys in India for you" Bar
  • The "Let us try and explain why the Zune doesn't completely suck" Bar
  • The Genuine Advantage Activation Experience Bar
  • The "Look at the sweet Texas Hold'em game you get with Windows Ultimate!!!!" Bar
  • The "$1 to lick Steve Ballmers Sweaty Head" Bar
  • Red Ring of Death XBox 360 Repair Bar
  • The "Why Windows 7 costs so much" Bar
  • Uninstall Vista and go back to XP Bar (nkawtg72)
  • The Bar Bar, to get drunk at after visiting the other Bar's

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Windows trys to = OS X.

Now what is the chance their retail store will be the same. What do they sell other than software, Zunes and XBoxes?

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
I am stunned that Microsoft has taken these directions as of late.
It clearly shows they are no longer the market or design leaders, and that Steve Baltimer is the wrong person to head the company.

I would have been so disappointed if I was Bill Gates and saw what Steve had done to a company that took years to build up.

All great companies innovate, but at present MS seems to be copying to keep up.

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
A lot of people feeling threatened here. Me? I'll see what they have to offer before making any judgments.

Just sayin'.

I love how Microsoft are getting worried by Apple. Must be hard making a loss whilst Apple's profits go up.

Sure, if you call 'making a loss' realising double Apple's profits for the quarter.

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California

Let's be fair. I don't think M$ is worried. I think Apple had a brilliant retail strategy that paid off, and M$ wants to see if the same business strategy works. It's not like the Apple Store was the first store every created. M$ is using it as a model.

SonyStyle runs in a way that makes it feel like it is an arrogant BestBuy without little to no interaction with sales people. It is like a Sony gallery, where Apple is all about engaging you with their sales staff. Just look at the number of people working in an Apple Store vs. other electronics stores. M$ is just choosing the better business model to remake their image. It has nothing to do with worry, and everything to do with investors.

xIGmanIx

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
I am stunned that Microsoft has taken these directions as of late.
It clearly shows they are no longer the market or design leaders, and that Steve Baltimer is the wrong person to head the company.

I would have been so disappointed if I was Bill Gates and saw what Steve had done to a company that took years to build up.

All great companies innovate, but at present MS seems to be copying to keep up.

Catch up? 90% market share, not really at risk

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Catch up? 90% market share, not really at risk

Repeat after me: "It's not just about market share." "It's not just about market share." "It's not just about market share." "It's not just about market share." "It's not just about market share." "It's not just about market share." "It's not just about market share." "It's not just about market share." "It's not just about market share." "It's not just about market share." "It's not just about market share." "It's not just about market share."

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I'm looking forward to these microsoft stores - it will encourage Apple to only improve their stores more.. which are already very good.

As they say, competition is good.

Repeat after me: "It's not just about market share." "It's not just about market share." "It's not just about market share." "It's not just about market share." "It's not just about market share." "It's not just about market share." "It's not just about market share." "It's not just about market share." "It's not just about market share." "It's not just about market share." "It's not just about market share." "It's not just about market share."

You can be sure that Apple wouldn't be saying "its not about marketshare" if they had 90% of the PC market... Strangely, when it comes to those Apple products that have a high market share - it becomes 'important'...

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
Its going to have a few bar's like the Apple store does, however Microsofts will be:
  • Virus Removal Bar
  • Malware Removal Bar
  • Defragmentation Bar
  • Windows Customer Frustration Counceling Bar
  • The "Let us call the tech support guys in India for you" Bar
  • Red Ring of Death XBox 360 Repair Bar
  • The "Why Windows 7 costs so much" Bar
  • The Bar Bar, to get drunk at after visiting the other Bar's

Perfect, said reasons above are why M$ is opening a human staffed store in your neighborhood. Someone could easily address all those issues with a smile and reassurance. This represents a culture shift for M$ and other companies may follow. I'm digging it, because it forces a company to come to terms with their problems.

Remember, Gateway did this before Apple did. I remember going in there a few times and thinking; there aren't enough people here, the location is terrible and the space is too big. Apple found the formula, improved it, and now M$ will add to it. It's called business, and image.

Bjohnson33

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2006
Windows trys to = OS X.

Now what is the chance their retail store will be the same. What do they sell other than software, Zunes and XBoxes?

I agree. Apple has a store full of hardware that people like to come and see before they buy. When there's a new iPod or laptop, people are eager to see them in person. I just don't see Microsoft having "fans" like Apple that are dying to see their latest wares.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.