Microsoft Takes on Apple's Entry-Level iPad With 10-inch 'Surface Go' Starting at $399

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 10, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Microsoft yesterday unveiled the 10-inch Surface Go, the company's smallest and lightest tablet computer to date. Priced at $399, the device is aimed at the same $500-and-under market as Apple's 9.7-inch iPad, which starts at $329.

Looks-wise, the Go is basically a smaller version of the $799 Surface Pro, including the integrated kickstand and a front-facing camera above the 1800 x 1200 resolution IPS touchscreen display.

[​IMG]

On the right side of the Go is a magnetic Surface Connector port for charging and connecting to a desktop dock, one USB-C port, and a headphone jack, with a microSD card slot located underneath the hinge.

Inside, the Go features a fanless Kaby Lake dual-core Intel Pentium Gold processor, 4GB or 8GB RAM, and 64GB or 128GB solid-state storage. Microsoft claims the Go has up to 9 hours of battery life.

Weighing in at 1.15lbs, the Go is slightly heavier than Apple's iPad. Like the Surface Pro, the Go supports the $99 Surface Pen (Apple added Apple Pencil support to its $329 iPad in March) and optional keyboard cover, which starts at $99 in black, with four color options costing $129. The optional Surface Mobile Mouse costs $35.

Off the shelf, Surface Go devices will run Windows 10 in "S mode", a streamlined version of Microsoft's desktop OS that only runs verified apps downloaded from the Windows Store, although customers can switch to the regular version of Windows 10 at no additional cost. For business customers, Microsoft is also offering a Surface Go with Windows 10 Pro installed for $449.

The $399 Surface Go ships August 2 in the U.S. and two dozen other markets, with Wi-Fi versions available initially and LTE versions to come later in the year.

Article Link: Microsoft Takes on Apple's Entry-Level iPad With 10-inch 'Surface Go' Starting at $399

2. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

iPad is OK. Im just not the target market. For work i use MBP and for other stuff i have iPhone. I had first iPad and than version 4 or 5 but never really found the value. One thing that i miss is support of touchpad on the cover.

3. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

no thanks. i'll wait until Microsoft figures out how to do Windows Updates properly.

4. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

Nice looking package with decent specs and options for the price point.

5. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Windows S is going to hamstring this, given that you can only run apps from the windows app store. I see the word pentium in the description and I can't help but think in 2018, that means running really slow. I could be wrong, but I think the advantages of the iPad far outweigh what this offers

7. the-msa macrumors 6502

no hamstring since you can upgrade to regular windows for free.

8. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

The article states that it can be unlocked from S mode to full desktop mode for free.

The current Pentium line is actually a pretty decent performer. It’s not the old 1990’s Pentium. Now it’s just a marketing name. Like i3, i5, i7, etc

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I realize, MS had advertised, but I do wonder how many consumers who aren't aware of this will stick with S because they think its more secure, and in some ways it is. The downside is you can't run all the apps out there.

10. pete2106 macrumors regular

pete2106

Also makes you wonder, if the Pentium Gold processor could run Windows in full desktop mode properly, why not have that as the default? Isn't their whole thing that it's a full desktop computer in a tablet?

11. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

I’m sure it will provide the same delightful user experience for which MS is famous.

12. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Hmm, not convinced. Even just a few years ago the "Pentium" processors in laptops had absurdly poor performance. As in, worse than a Core 2 Duo.

The CPU in this one is the Pentium 4415Y and whilst there aren't any CPU benchmarks released yet, I'd be extremely surprised if its single & multicore performance matched that of a 3rd-gen mobile i3 (i3-3110M). Time will tell but I'm throwing my hat in the ring; it's gonna suck.

13. Dave245 macrumors 603

Dave245

The thing that puts me off the Surface range is Windows, MacOS is a much better OS in my opinion and Mojave it will only be getting better (from what i've seen so far). I do give Microsoft big credit tho for the design of the Surface and for doing something different, I wish Apple would do something like this, then i would give it a try.

This smaller version of the Surface (Surface GO is actually a good name) seems like it's competing with the iPad but isn't it suppose to be a PC?

14. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

So an iPad can do everything a MacBook running OS X can do and just as fast?

I understand there are people on here who use iPads as their primary computing device, but iPads are still an alternative to Mac’s, not a direct replacement.

Microsoft is finally trying to develop a class of devices that offer an alternative to a full-blown Windows PC instead of marketing these things as replacements.

To say that one of these devices should be able to do everything a Windows PC with an Intel Core i5 or Core i7 processor can do is simply an unfair comparison.

15. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

Those who want to experience the pain of Windows 10 in a more portable and affordable form-factor. :p

16. architect1337, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018

architect1337 macrumors member

There is such a lot of misinformation out there. If you are going to compare to Apple products, at least be fair. Windows 10 S means you can only install apps from the Microsoft store. It does run full Windows 10 home. You can upgrade, one way, to Windows 10 Home (Full) and install apps from anywhere. Most people, who just want to use the standard apps (Mail, Calendat, web etc) will find Windows 10 S more secure (which it is) compared to unrestricted. This is similar to Mac's Gatekeeper where you can set up a Mac to only install from App Store. An advantage of Gatekeeper is that you can turn this on. The downside is you can't get a Mac for $400 so with iOs, there is only the store.

Apart from that - it all depends if you want to use Windows or iOS. To me - the specs seem reasonable. You are not going to be gaming but you'll be able to use it as a good educational product if you want. I think it's a serious contender to the iPad if Windows is your thing. The only downside is it's too expensive once you add a keyboard (which you'll probably need) - wheras for an iPad, you can easily get away with not having one.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Many things yes, but you're comparing apples to oranges. You need to compare this tablet with the iPad. The targeted competition for this surface is not the MacBook but the iPAd and so when you compare the iPAd with what this can do, I'd say for many people the iPad is better.

18. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

Not quite. Microsoft continues to cram a full-blown desktop OS into a tablet form-factor. This latest Surface still contains a full-version of Windows. It has all of the deficiencies of a desktop/laptops. Add to that the chronic driver and firmware issues that are sure to follow. I'll wait 9-12 months after it is released before I take a more serious look at it. That is traditionally how long it takes for Microsoft to work the bugs out.

Notice how the Surface Go is not depicted without the TypeCover. Surface tablets are never advertised without the keyboard. There's a reason for that. Microsoft knows that this Surface tablet line is not primarily a tablet. After the failure of the Surface RT and Surface 2, Microsoft conceded that and went to what is their strength.

But I do like that Microsoft is trolling Apple in that video clip by showing the mouse... quite a few times. They show that there is a trackpad but spent more time showing the mouse.

19. fokmik macrumors 68020

Is not free here,for the windows 10 pro you have to pay 449$

20. mazz0 macrumors 65816

mazz0

I still don't understand Apple's aversion to a two in one device like this. Use it like an iPad and it works just like an iPad. Connect a mouse or trackpad and it works like a Mac. What's compromised?

There's stuff wrong with Microsoft's system, certainly, but I find they require considerably less downtime than MacOS updates do for me.

21. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

I don't see the appeal. Poor performance, no apps, poor battery life (assuming compared to other surface laptops), not a great tablet, and the accessories needed raise the price considerably. Why not just buy another cheap windows laptop that likely performs better? I don't compare against the iPad as one is a tablet and one is a laptop.

22. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 65816

Darmok N Jalad

I’m curious how the dual core Kaby Lake would compare to the quad core Apollo Lake. One has better IPC, while the other has more cores and faster clocks.

Not the biggest of sample sizes. Until now, you’d have to buy a Surface Laptop to even be one of those potential S users. And MS was supposed to be doing away with the Windows S SKU. Now there’s just an S mode, which is kinda similar to MacOS’s gatekeeper mode, which denies non-registered applications from running or installing. You can still get around it with a few clicks.

23. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

It's nice to hear that there are people out that who don't experience issues with Windows updates. Sadly, I'm not one of them. Windows 10 updates for me, have been, and continue to be, horrendous. It's not just one device, it is all of them.

One issue that most likely won't be discussed with this Surface Go is storage space. The entry level model is 64GB of storage. Once Windows boots up and is configured for the first time, there'll be less than 50GB available. (probably less if there is a recovery partition involved) Every update nibbles away at that free space, and every quarter or half, a major update will take a chunk out.

Within a few months of ownership, the OS itself may take up as much as half of that initial 64GB. Want to reclaim some of that space? Perform some housekeeping tasks like disk cleanup, compact.exe, etc. That will regain SOME of that space back, but not all.

24. Zimmy68 macrumors 68000

Zimmy68

I'll never understand the hang up with LTE.
    Not only should it be available day and date, there shouldn't even be different skus.
    Just put a LTE chip in all devices. It's just another hardware antenna, right?
    I'm guessing when Apple opened the door to charging $130 more for a $3 piece of hardware it made everyone take notice.

25. NIKKG macrumors 6502

NIKKG

If it performs well, this could be a winner. Hopefully this lights a fire under Apple to up their game.