Microsoft Targets iTunes Prices in New Zune Pass Commercial

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Microsoft is continuing its attacks on Apple pricing, this time with the launch of a commercial for Zune Pass, Microsoft's monthly subscription plan for digital music. In the commercial, financial planner and former The Apprentice contestant Wes Moss contrasts the $14.99/month Zune Pass with iTunes Store purchases for Apple's 120 GB iPod classic, which at $1.00 per track would cost on the order of $30,000 to fill if all content was purchased from the iTunes Store.

Article Link: Microsoft Targets iTunes Prices in New Zune Pass Commercial

trudd

macrumors regular
May 27, 2004
Texas
Yet another linear-minded response to Mac vs. PC ads, stylistically speaking.

Owning music just isn't cool anymore, guys!

Dimwhit

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2007
When it comes to Microsoft trying to make points against an Apple product, this one may very well be the dumbest.

SLCentral

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2004
Princeton, NJ/Ithaca, NY
I'm not going to lie...I signed up for ZunePass a few months ago via Boot Camp on my Mac, and loved it. As much as I hate the idea of renting my music, the Zune software was EXCELLENT, and the ability to literally go through and just click "download" on entire albums and not worry about price is pretty awesome. I was able to discover so many new bands and songs that is really impossible to do using iTunes.

Zune is irrelevant to me unless they port a version over to OS X, but I don't see that happening, so it looks like this is irrelevant news story to Mac users. For Windows users, though, I can't strongly suggest enough at least trying out the 14-day trial. As much as I couldn't believe it, the Zune software is well-polished, has a very attractive UI, and offers a fantastic service.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
What about movies/TV shows that take up a lot of space and tons of free Podcasts? And there is no rule that says you have to fill up your iPod with music from the iTunes store.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
The laptop hunters commercials make me laugh, because to me the commercial makes it look like the "hunters" WANT the Macs (that's always the first computer they look at) but are too cheap to get them. One of them even commented that the Macs are "too cool for them." That's like Coke saying "Pepsi tastes AWESOME, but you should really drink Coke!"

Axl Rose

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
I'm not going to lie...I signed up for ZunePass a few months ago via Boot Camp on my Mac, and loved it. As much as I hate the idea of renting my music, the Zune software was EXCELLENT, and the ability to literally go through and just click "download" on entire albums and not worry about price is pretty awesome. I was able to discover so many new bands and songs that is really impossible to do using iTunes.

Zune is irrelevant to me unless they port a version over to OS X, but I don't see that happening, so it looks like this is irrelevant news story to Mac users. For Windows users, though, I can't strongly suggest enough at least trying out the 14-day trial. As much as I couldn't believe it, the Zune software is well-polished, has a very attractive UI, and offers a fantastic service.
Can you put songs from subscriptions on ipods?? i assume not, though i do like the idea of subscriptions, i dont want a zune.

TunesRus90

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2007
I don't get why Apple keeps saying people don't want to rent their music. Personally, if Apple came out with a plan with exactly the same terms as the Zune Pass, I would subscribe without thinking twice. I'd probably even pay $20-25 a month for that. The only thing stopping me from buying Zune Pass is the lack of Mac/iPod compatibility, but the terms and pricing seem great!

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
I think most subscription services for anything are terrible. What if I don't download $15 worth of songs?

Another thing: you can use any iPod as an external disk. I do that, though I'm sure the non-tech-savvy don't. MS really needs to do their research before spitting out these bogus ads.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
They also miss the fact that many albums work out at less than $1 per-track, and I know I tend to buy albums from iTunes unless there's just a particular track I'm after.

I hate subscription-based things unless it's something that makes real sense like TV, or internet services. Paying to not-own music? No thanks!

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
False advertising anyone? They are claiming in not so many words that the services are the same, when the user doesn't even own the music.

If Apple can get busted by the UK Advertising Standards for shortening sequences, then Microsoft can damned well get busted for this.

H$R

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
Switzerland
Already seen that earlier today. Only thing to say: now it's getting ridiculous!

Are people really so dumb and believe this kind of ads, or is it just M$?

ZachsMacDaddy

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2007
Maryland
Play them whenever you want on up to three computers and three players, for as long as you keep your subscription up to date. You also get to keep 10 of your favorite songs each month to add to your permanent collection.
So I would pay $14.99 a month and if I leave I lose all my music except the 10 per month.

If I spend $14.99 a month at the itunes store for the 15 or so songs, I get to keep those 15 songs forever. Looks like I get a 50% bonus with itunes.

Heck, I don't even buy 1 album a month as it is.

Amazingly enough, I happen to have a nice big stack of CDs that I can use practically for free. Considering use and depreciation, I can't really compare using what I have to going out and buying new CDs.

SHOlover

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2007
So Cal
One question remains: What is a Zune?

Does anyone actually know anyone who owns one??? I personally do not.

EPIC FAIL.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
I don't get why Apple keeps saying people don't want to rent their music. Personally, if Apple came out with a plan with exactly the same terms as the Zune Pass, I would subscribe without thinking twice. I'd probably even pay $20-25 a month for that. The only thing stopping me from buying Zune Pass is the lack of Mac/iPod compatibility, but the terms and pricing seem great!
Nobody does want to rent music. If you're going to use it, you may as well own it.

How very out of touch with the consumer. Like it or not, hardware gets bought, software gets 'shared'..

No-one's going to spend 30k on iTunes, and no-one's going to believe they need 30k to fill their iPod.. that's reality..

djourd

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2008
Do The Maths!
Not that I'm bitter but according to Microsoft each month for $14.99 you get to keep 10 songs you like, so if you cancel your membership, each song would have effectively cost you $1.50.

That in mind to fill the zune up with like for like i.e. the songs you own! it would cost:

iPod = $30,000
Zune = $44,970

So why would I want to pay an extra $14,970 based on their advertisement?

By: cwedl

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
I don't think monthly would quite work for me. There are some months where I buy very little music so that would be extra money down the drain. I'd also probably resort to getting music for the sake of making it worth it even though I'd never listen to it.

Also a comment on Engadget, first few posters here etc., how many people do you think have 120 GB music libraries (e.g. no movies/ podcasts...)? Not the average consumer MS is targetting with this advert that's for sure.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
I've got enough media to fill a few iPods. I've spent about $8.00 on iTunes media. I think the unbiased public will resent Microsoft for the obvious stupidity of this message.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
This ad did accomplish something with me:
It's the first time I've ever heard of "ZunePass"

Go up to 50 people on the streets and ask them if they've heard of iTunes, then ask them if they've heard of ZunePass.

Let's see who has heard of what.;)

fokket

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2009
Dunno about music, but I do wish they lower the price for TV shows and offer rental

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
Does anyone actually know anyone who owns one??? I personally do not.

EPIC FAIL.
I've never seen one out in public. It is either the iPod or a cheaper MP3 player from Creative (Zen is the most popular non-iPod I think) or Sony or whoever makes those things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.