Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mogzieee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
I have purchased at most 25 songs from iTunes in the past, and only paid for a total of 5 apps on my iPod touch... but yet the 8GB storage is full to the brim.

One of my best mates is a DJ and owns a 160GB iPod classic from when they were around. He, too, has it full to the brim, with some ridiculous forty thousand songs or something, yet I'm sure he hasn't spent £31600 on music from iTunes.... hmmm.

Microsoft, you fail. Again.

SHOlover

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2007
So Cal
...And this guy is a reporter for Fox News. Because when I look for fair, accurate information, I look to Fox. :rolleyes:

I bet when he was asked to do this commercial Wes Moss said "Yeah anything to stick it to those damn liberals with their damn computer products and government that actually work!"

iGod 2.0

macrumors regular
May 4, 2009
Well...

...I have to say, being a lover of Apple (God knows I wouldn't buy anything else), I have to say that the Zune Pass is actually kind of sweet (as much as it pains me to say that). Unlimited downloads for $15.00 a month versus the $0.99 a song is a damn good deal. However (and heres were I bite Microsoft in the ass! LOL), when I was using the Zune Pass a while back, you could download freely, but to put your downloads on a portable device, you had to pay to be able the do it. But I am not sure if they still do that now or they hvae done away with that policy. But all in all, it is a good deal...:apple:

spidermitch

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2007
The Pennies add up

I've never seen a song for $1 on iTMS. If the premise is $0.99 a song, then my math gives $29,700 for 30,000 songs. With the extra $300 I can go buy an iPhone and call someone who cares!!

Is this really the best MS can do? The money they spend on marketing is not well spent. It's pathetic in a way.

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
I don't get why Apple keeps saying people don't want to rent their music.

If i remember correctly Apple didn't say that people don't want to rent there music, there defense is that they could not guarantee a good download service for a monthly fee. Its easy to do with the Zune (duh) but Apple would have to support 100 billion downloads a year for a moderate monthly fee.

The contracts with the labels are also a problem, when every iPod has a subscription there is no guarantee that the labels will keep the monthly fee at the same price. Its a trap Apple want's to avoid at all cost.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Doesn't matter the cost if MS is going to discontinue this DRM, like they did with their previous failed DRM "MS Play For Sure".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_PlaysForSure

In addition, user only get to "keep" 10 songs per month. So actually the suckers are actually paying $15 for 10 songs, while accessing what could have been free (like radio). Guess what, radio have been around for ages (for free) and has no impact on iTunes.

iTunes have much free content available. It's called PODCAST.

There are other file formats for iPod. For example, some people have library with Loseless music from cds. Some people have videos, movies.

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
Didn't Napster try this same lame tactic against Itunes and failed woefully, I guess Microsoft feel consumers will listen to them.

G4R2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2006
Another Microsoft ad that successfully illustrates the type of consumers who are likely to buy a Microsoft product, people who have mistaken their own stupidity as thriftiness and who allow a commercial to overwhelm their common sense and their ability to add.

Macjames

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Yorkshire, England
Oh man, it gets worse.

I've just seen a m$ add in the uk with some little kid who is a pc because he can stitch photos together in some dodgy Windows Vista program. I thought that was bad but this is just to much.

It's complete bull shame on M$

crazymoose

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2008
Right Microsoft, because everyone fills their iPods with ONLY music and downloads their music ONLY from iTunes and never EVER gets their music from friends or for free over the internet....

-_-

Go back to the laptop hunter commercials. At least those ones have some thought behind them.

APPLENEWBIE

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
The high desert, USA
Lame.
Also fails to mention that you can't use Zune Pass on your iPod ... so you have to get....a.....zune....gack.

What he MEANS is when STUPID people ask him, he recommends zzzzune pass.:cool:

chocolate632

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
I can just imagine Apple's commercial response to this ad.

Mac: Hello Im a Mac
PC: And i'm a pc.
Mac: hey pc, whatya got there?
PC: Oh, im just downloading a few albums with the ZunePass
Mac: Looks like your downloading a lot there, can you afford it?
PC: Yeah, with ZunePass, you only pay $14.99 and have unlimited music rental.
(POOF)
Mac: What was that?
PC: Um, it looks like Microsoft stopped making the Zune, and now all my songs are gone...
Mac: Wanna borrow some of mines? Their DRM free...

Ok Apple could obviously make a better commercial than me, but its just a thought:rolleyes:

winninganthem

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
Might as well just listen to all your music on Youtube or IMEEM if you're going to be renting it lolol :p

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Odd to see a zune ad at all...don't all the rumors say that they are giving up on it?

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Amazingly enough, I happen to have a nice big stack of CDs that I can use practically for free.

Yep. Most of us have big stacks of CDs. Which is what we use to fill our iPods. But Microsoft doesn't mention this. Microsoft assumes its customers are idiots. Probably because they are.

Oh, and Slacker Radio > Zune Pass. Cheaper too. :p

moussekateer

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
Some of the arguments on here are idiotic. I know a lot of people that would love Apple to introduce a subscription based model for the iTunes store. A lot of members here seem to have a very one track mind with regards to anything other than Apple (using the acronym M$ is very pathetic). My sister has a Zune and its fantastic looking and very easy to use. Anybody who says otherwise must be completely incapable of operating a very simple navigation system. Don't turn this into an Apple vs Microsoft war, both companies have got things right and things wrong.

Oh and the Zune has a roughly 9-10% share of the MP3 player market, so before any more posters claim this is an "EPIC FAIL", compare this to the similar marketshare of macs as home computers. Are they "EPIC FAILS" too? Thought not.

APPLENEWBIE

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
The high desert, USA
On a slightly different, but related, vector...

Is it my imagination, or has there been no apple computer ads in the recent weekly Best Buy sunday flyers? Perhaps apple has withdrawn their computer ads until Best Buy is no longer prominently featured in the microsoft laptop ads?

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Don't turn this into an Apple vs Microsoft war, both companies have got things right and things wrong.

Wait, don't turn a disingenuous MS ad about Apple into an Apple vs Microsoft war??? :confused:

Oh and the Zune has a roughly 9-10% share of the MP3 player market, so before any more posters claim this is an "EPIC FAIL", compare this to the similar marketshare of macs as home computers. Are they "EPIC FAILS" too? Thought not.

Is Microsoft making money on its 9-10% of the MP3 player market? No. Is Apple making money on its 9-10% of the home computer market? Yes.

Zune, like Xbox 360, is EPIC FAIL if you consider business success to be making a profit.

But Microsoft will spare no expense trying to capture some tiny slice of "cool."

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
What the hell is a Zune Pass? More to the point, what the hell is a "Zune"?

LOL, seriously.

MDN's illumnating take on the matter:

Again, if you stop paying your $14.99 per month (or whatever they decide it will be down the road) your music stops dead. Except that you do get to keep 10 whole songs per month thanks to the oh-so-generous Microsoft and the music cartel. So, let's do the math: In order to stop paying monthly fees and match the 30,000 songs that you've supposedly loaded into your iPod (which actually came mainly from your CDs and perhaps "other" sources) with this "zunepass" thing, you only have to live for 250 years. That's just a quarter of a millennium, so shaddup and have a little patience! Oh, yeah, 250 years at $14.99 /month equals $44,970. What a deal!

Sounds about right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.