Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
After using Zoom for a year I forced to switch to Teams for a week. OMG what a terrible piece of software that is missing so many basic functions for online working... Microsoft is so incredibly bad at making software for a software company.
Zoom isn't even remotely comparable to Teams for remote collaboration. Zoom is better for some forms of video chatting, that's about it. Teams absolutely kills it as a complete package.

Teams is horrible.
Constant distraction during meetings with people putting in chats and clogs up the entire screen with the damn pop-ups.
When working on a file, and then switch to chat, the file has to be loaded again.
Putting everything in the same client application is a stupid idea.
Teams is only one interface. You don't have to use the Teams interface for most tasks. You can sync files locally or work on them through a web browser. I would only use the Teams file browser/editor for a basic preview.

hybrid_x

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2004
Teh Interwebz
There is a check for updates option within the client.

Does it work? No clue! :)
It's bizarrely located within the user profile section of the app, not under the Help menu, or the Microsoft Teams menu, or even in the Preferences as you would expect.

Microsoft's gonna Microsoft.

BTW, I just ran the "Check for updates" and Teams is telling me "You have Microsoft Teams Version 1.4.00.7175. It was last updated on 2021-03-31."

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This is sorely needed, it will be a glorious day when they enable system notifications. I will no longer miss notifications when in full screen apps.
I got a funny feeling that a LOT of people will be disabling this feature.

If Microsoft implements macOS notifications like Windows 10 notifications ... trust me you'll be annoyed and will just disable it.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
I wonder how many years until this feature comes to iOS, which still doesn't have customisable backgrounds.....

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Teams is a running joke in our org... but gives a easy excuse for missing meetings (Teams was screwed up)... between the resources required, stupid UX, wonky behavior, etc.

It's a leader in the class of applications known as "Bozoware"
This sounds like an IT/infrastructure/training problem. Teams has been near flawless for us in over a year of a sudden pivot to remote work. Best to figure it out because it's the core of Microsoft's platform going forward.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Zoom isn't even remotely comparable to Teams for remote collaboration. Zoom is better for some forms of video chatting, that's about it. Teams absolutely kills it as a complete package.

Teams is only one interface. You don't have to use the Teams interface for most tasks. You can sync files locally or work on them through a web browser. I would only use the Teams file browser/editor for a basic preview.
Still does not change the fact that grouping everything into a single interface is a stupid idea.

TheMacDaddy1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Merica!
Absolute hogs, zero memory optimisation on the entire Office suite across MacOS...
I could not agree more. I use the web version of Outlook/Office 365 at work because the Mac version is just so bad. The search function in the Mac version is just broken and has been for a while now. Encryption is broken as well, but works in the Web version.

I have for the first time in a long time started learning how to do things in iWork that I do daily in Word/Excel. So far I have not been stumped but I am not a power user. Sorting spread sheets is my upper limit of need for that kind of thing.

TheMacDaddy1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Merica!
This sounds like an IT/infrastructure/training problem. Teams has been near flawless for us in over a year of a sudden pivot to remote work. Best to figure it out because it's the core of Microsoft's platform going forward.
Best to wait and see. If Discord was smart they would have taken that 12 billion Microsoft was offering. What would Microsoft do then with...Skype, Teams and Discord???? Ruin one or all of them for sure.

Teams replaced our Skype for business at work but beyond chatting and video calls it gets no real use. People are trying to bend it into weird use cases, like a file server to post work but it just gets messy. Combined with the near constant changes coming at you, its just hard to like.

Unfortunately they doing the same thing with Edge. At first Edge was a great alternative to Chrome but I get weekly if not by weekly updates to Edge now, that has moved stuff around, like the history controls and just yesterday I had issues with a support page on VMware's site not rendering properly and it worked fine in Safari and FireFox.

Reactions: Firehawk81

aknabi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2011
Yeah, but that doesn't excuse the bozonity of the UX and the resource bloat that Teams is... I worked with the lead designer for MS Unified communications and he even agrees that Teams is a UX disaster.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Still does not change the fact that grouping everything into a single interface is a stupid idea.
I've been working with Microsoft Sharepoint and their various under-pinnings for nearly two decades. Honestly Teams is the first time that they've actually put everything together into a unified way that makes sense. Video/phone/chat collaboration inside/outside of the organization, file sharing that actually makes sense, remote support through simplified screen sharing where the end user doesn't have to do *anything* to make it work, etc. Again, Teams is simply a different front end for a bunch of existing Microsoft services. It's often only one way - but not necessarily the best way - of interacting with the content. Again - this comes down to training as most users can't see how it all works together at a high level. (In our organization this was certainly a problem at first - many people - even high-level people in IT did not understand how it was designed to work and tried to write it off. It took a great deal of training to get them to see what it is designed to do - and it has since become an essential part of our daily workflow).

Best to wait and see. If Discord was smart they would have taken that 12 billion Microsoft was offering. What would Microsoft do then with...Skype, Teams and Discord???? Ruin one or all of them for sure.

Teams replaced our Skype for business at work but beyond chatting and video calls it gets no real use. People are trying to bend it into weird use cases, like a file server to post work but it just gets messy. Combined with the near constant changes coming at you, its just hard to like.

Unfortunately they doing the same thing with Edge. At first Edge was a great alternative to Chrome but I get weekly if not by weekly updates to Edge now, that has moved stuff around, like the history controls and just yesterday I had issues with a support page on VMware's site not rendering properly and it worked fine in Safari and FireFox.
Chat and video are only a small portion of what Teams is about. File collaboration is a HUGE part of it as much of Teams is simply a different front end for Sharepoint. That is not in any way trying to bend it to a weird use case - it's an absolutely core feature.

TheMacDaddy1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Merica!
I've been working with Microsoft Sharepoint and their various under-pinnings for nearly two decades. Honestly Teams is the first time that they've actually put everything together into a unified way that makes sense. Video/phone/chat collaboration inside/outside of the organization, file sharing that actually makes sense, remote support through simplified screen sharing where the end user doesn't have to do *anything* to make it work, etc. Again, Teams is simply a different front end for a bunch of existing Microsoft services. It's often only one way - but not necessarily the best way - of interacting with the content. Again - this comes down to training as most users can't see how it all works together at a high level.

Chat and video are only a small portion of what Teams is about. File collaboration is a HUGE part of it as much of Teams is simply a different front end for Sharepoint. That is not in any way trying to bend it to a weird use case - it's an absolutely core feature.
These users are not using the file/Sharepoint section of teams. They are dropping files into a group chat and working out that. Which is the OneDrive of whatever user dropped it first.

Teams is hard for users to grasp even after we have given them training by a 3rd part company. Users (that have the rights) create a bunch of different teams at first only to never use them.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
These users are not using the file/Sharepoint section of teams. They are dropping files into a group chat and working out that. Which is the OneDrive of whatever user dropped it first.

Teams is hard for users to grasp even after we have given them training by a 3rd part company. Users (that have the rights) create a bunch of different teams at first only to never use them.
If too many users have the rights to create Teams, that's an infrastructure/training problem. The Teams hierarchy needs to have some designed structure behind it just as if you were architecting your Intranet (because, in fact, you are). Small groups sharing files through chats and OneDrive is exactly how it's supposed to work (Personal OneDrive for quick sharing among groups of ~2-5, a full Team/Sharepoint for larger groups/longer-term projects).

I understand that most users are entrenched in their ways and they just want everything to continue to be the same remote file share/email paradigm - but that system has always had massive problems in terms of data management and redundancy. Times are changing.

• Love
Reactions: orbital~debris

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
I got a funny feeling that a LOT of people will be disabling this feature.

If Microsoft implements macOS notifications like Windows 10 notifications ... trust me you'll be annoyed and will just disable it.

But Windows 10 notifications are to do with the Windows operating system + all the other apps running on it.

If Microsoft implement the same notifications that you'd usually get from Teams for Mac, but make them appear using the macOS-native method (i.e. on the right of the screen, and history in Notification Centre), then the notifications themselves would be no different, just the way the user sees them or is able to interact with them.

Firehawk81

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2021
Cape Town

Not to mention.
searching or scrolling up in history within chat is supper slow. Messages not locally cached it seems.
Rookie design error.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
I've been working with Microsoft Sharepoint and their various under-pinnings for nearly two decades. Honestly Teams is the first time that they've actually put everything together into a unified way that makes sense. Video/phone/chat collaboration inside/outside of the organization, file sharing that actually makes sense, remote support through simplified screen sharing where the end user doesn't have to do *anything* to make it work, etc. Again, Teams is simply a different front end for a bunch of existing Microsoft services. It's often only one way - but not necessarily the best way - of interacting with the content. Again - this comes down to training as most users can't see how it all works together at a high level. (In our organization this was certainly a problem at first - many people - even high-level people in IT did not understand how it was designed to work and tried to write it off. It took a great deal of training to get them to see what it is designed to do - and it has since become an essential part of our daily workflow).

Sadly, as the end user, it is nothing more than a poorly designed UI with poor integration.
Just to give some examples.
Why can't we change our status without it blowing up in the full screen?
Why does the chat notification have to keep jumping at us on the bottom right corner of the screen even when we are already in the meeting with the chat open?
Designed by designers, not users.

Reactions: amartinez1660
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.