Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft is ending support for its SwiftKey predictive keyboard for iPhone and the app will be delisted from the App Store next week, the company confirmed on Wednesday.

swiftkeyios.jpg

Responding to a request from ZDNet's Mary Jo Foley for more information after a lack of updates to the app for over a year, director of product management at SwiftKey, Chris Wolfe, gave the following statement:
"As of October 5, support for SwiftKey iOS will end and it will be delisted from the Apple App Store. Microsoft will continue support for SwiftKey Android as well as the underlying technology that powers the Windows touch keyboard. For those customers who have SwiftKey installed on iOS, it will continue to work until it is manually uninstalled or a user gets a new device. Please visit Support.SwiftKey.com for more information."
Microsoft did not give a reason for its decision to kill off the app, but Foley speculates that it may be related to Apple's policies about granting developers access to certain parts of its software, since if it chooses not to, "there's no easy or good way to make a product which needs integration to work."

Microsoft acquired SwiftKey in 2016. At the time, Microsoft said the keyboard was used on more than 300 million Android and iOS devices. The app uses a natural language processing algorithm that helps users type faster by predicting what they will type next. Microsoft plans to continue to support SwiftKey on Android for the foreseeable future.

Article Link: Microsoft to Kill Off SwiftKey for iOS and Delist From App Store on October 5

• Haha
Reactions: true god

prwnr

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2020
this is bad news.
especially for folks that are using more than one language, because Apple keyboard requires you to switch between them, not to use two at the same time :confused:
and this is bad for languages that dont have good suggestion support in Apple keyboard.

The only alternative now is gboard, which I always wanted to avoid, because I dont trust google at all.

Cancelled
Sep 8, 2022
this is bad news.
especially for folks that are using more than one language, because Apple keyboard requires you to switch between them, not to use two at the same time :confused:
and this is bad for languages that dont have good suggestion support in Apple keyboard.

The only alternative now is gboard, which I always wanted to avoid, because I dont trust google at all.
iOS Keyboard got updated long time ago with automatic language understanding! Just add all the languages you speak on the keyboard and it understands right away the language of suggestions.

prwnr

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2020
iOS Keyboard got updated long time ago with automatic language understanding! Just add all the languages you speak on the keyboard and it understands right away the language of suggestions.
I dont think that it works for me. It keeps suggesting corrections to currently active language, even if Im trying to write in the other. I had to switch between keyboard to get proper autocorrections.

prwnr

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2020
Also: This functionality is built into iOS now
maybe works for countries that Apple care about, but for my language (polish) with additional english enabled it doesnt really work well. when Im writing english words it wants to autocorrect them to polish words.

not to mention total lack of suggestions like english language has, for the polish language.

malko

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2014
For me this is a BIG dealbreaker. I just got myself an iPhone 14 Pro Max but it is likely to be my last iPhone after this announcement.

I'm typing in three languages and SwiftKey was the only "OK" keyboard for iPhone – not really "good" since it could only handle two languages on iOS due to artificial memory limitations imposed by Apple. But still good enough since it at least allows me to type in my main two languages effortlessly.

But without SwiftKey there is not even a "good enough" keyboard for me on iPhone. Sure, it will remain on my iPhone even though it doesn't get updates, but no chance I will buy a new iPhone in a year or two if there is no new keyboard in App Store to fill the empty space after SwiftKey...

PS. To anyone suggesting to use Apples built-in keyboard with multiple languages set up: No, that is not an option. Apples keyboard only supports English + 9 additional languages – none of which I use.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 8, 2022
maybe works for countries that Apple care about, but for my language (polish) with additional english enabled it doesnt really work well. when Im writing english words it wants to autocorrect them to polish words.

not to mention total lack of suggestions like english language has, for the polish language.
I'm not from an eastern country, but I work there and I wouldn't recommend Apple to anybody from there.
Too many limitations, and some languages don't even have native system language, you have to use english.
I guess that's also why Android is just so popular (and the same is for macOS).

maryland

Suspended
Aug 24, 2022
This only works with a small number of languages. Apple calls it Multilingual Typing and the supported languages are listed here:

adib

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Singapore
Shocking that Microsoft would remove an app that benefits a competitor. This is just Microsoft being Microsoft, doing the things they’ve always done. I used SwiftKey long before Microsoft bought it, and I knew that was going to be bad.
If it is free, sure it "benefits a competitor". But if paid, say part of Microsoft 365, then it would be a good value add for the suite.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
This only works with a small number of languages. Apple calls it Multilingual Typing and the supported languages are listed here:

I will never understand why they have not rolled this out to Siri as well. The phone should be smart enough that if I am communicating with person X via text in English, that I would like to have their responses also read out in English and if I am typing with contact B always in German, it should read out those texts in German. Right now Siri is useless and everything that isn’t German (in my case) just becomes gibberish nonsense

bLackjackj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Why don't they publish it as open source?
Absolutely agree! Why bother buying it then if you were going to drop iOS support! I've been using it for years. Could Microsoft not advise us,..their agents have been telling everyone it is under maintenance as logins were failing. Very upset at the last minute notice and only to a reporter!

Just sell it to another company if you want to dump all iOS users!

Reactions: !!!

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
I will never understand why they have not rolled this out to Siri as well. The phone should be smart enough that if I am communicating with person X via text in English, that I would like to have their responses also read out in English and if I am typing with contact B always in German, it should read out those texts in German. Right now Siri is useless and everything that isn’t German (in my case) just becomes gibberish nonsense
yes, that sucks bigtime to have to set the language manually everytime when using siri for dictation.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
For me this is a BIG dealbreaker. I just got myself an iPhone 14 Pro Max but it is likely to be my last iPhone after this announcement.

I'm typing in three languages and SwiftKey was the only "OK" keyboard for iPhone – not really "good" since it could only handle two languages on iOS due to artificial memory limitations imposed by Apple. But still good enough since it at least allows me to type in my main two languages effortlessly.

But without SwiftKey there is not even a "good enough" keyboard for me on iPhone. Sure, it will remain on my iPhone even though it doesn't get updates, but no chance I will buy a new iPhone in a year or two if there is no new keyboard in App Store to fill the empty space after SwiftKey...

PS. To anyone suggesting to use Apples built-in keyboard with multiple languages set up: No, that is not an option. Apples keyboard only supports English + 9 additional languages – none of which I use.
Now it's time to download the IPA and iTunes 12.6.5.3 and start saving IPA files so you could use swiftkey longer than Microsoft would want you to do. I have one saved locally so I can still use it if I want to.

To anyone else, download the app IPA file now so you could use the app for a few more years. Also, local IPA is the only way to counter dev/Apple pulling apps. I fear Apple will also remove the app in your purchase history so you can no longer redownload it directly. (Vidget was pulled and I can only use it by installing it using iMazing)

cyanite

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2015
It only works for a few languages, actually.

Swiping yes, multi-language not really.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
People are shouting this one down over multilingual issues, and while that's valid, English users should care because of another reason: iPads. If you want swipe-style functionality on an iPad, you're not going to get it on the full-sized iPad keyboard. You need to shrink it down to the iPhone-sized, minimized or split keyboard to be able to swipe. That's a pain. Swiftkey allowed you to have the full-sized keyboard and retain swiping functionality.

This is horrible news. Once you get used to swipe-style keyboards, tapping letters feels archaic. It's similar in feel to the difference between typing with an on-screen keyboard and tapping out letters by repeatedly having to press certain numbers with old-style "dumb" phones.

danielbahl

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
Silkeborg, Denmark
I hope iOS 16.2 will come to the rescue. One can dream, right? :rolleyes:;)

In Denmark (and I'm sure many other countries around the globe) we are still stuck with a built-in 1st gen. iOS keyboard. No Swipe. No Predictions. No Multi-language. Just plain ol' typing one character at a time.

That's why SwiftKey was an awesome app. Now the only alternative is G Board from Google, and while it's great too, it sucks that Apple now almost forces me to deliver my data to Google to have a decent mobile keyboard. Please Team :apple: Apple—put some focus on your built-in Keyboard in Denmark (and other countries as well) so it at least works, as good as the built-in US keyboard has been working for almost 10 years.

spytech

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2013
This is really bad news. Kind of saw it coming with the lack of updates and somewhat called it when there was no update before iOS 16. Let's see how long I can go with it before breaking...

• Sad
Reactions: koil and Mity
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.