Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
Shocking that Microsoft would remove an app that benefits a competitor. This is just Microsoft being Microsoft, doing the things they’ve always done. I used SwiftKey long before Microsoft bought it, and I knew that was going to be bad.
Kind of funny these news show just after Dark Sky shutdown on iOS.

You know, the app that was removed from the Play Store almost immediately after Apple bought it in 2020.

Rock_Artist

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2020
Indeed that's a shame. anyone using multiple languages which aren't the major ones is being hurt from this.

Apple's international support is sometimes limiting. so with Apple's keyboard I don't have auto-suggestions which I use ALL the time.

Only Gboard and few tiny actors. that's what's left.

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
I just tried gboard again after a really long break. The good news, it doesn't suck. It supports 3 languages.

What it doesn't seem to have is a separate number row, a feature I personally used with SwiftKey.

Instead, it has a prominent and un-defeatable Google search icon which I don't need.

Still infinitely better than the default thing Apple puts on iOS, which has got to be, easily, the worst keyboard on a mobile phone today.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
I wonder what data they were accessing to make this work that Apple cut off. Or what didn’t they want you knowing they were accessing. I can assure you that if it was something that could make Apple look bad, Microsoft would be very vocal about it. There’s no way they would allow this to go away with a whimper. It could be a competitive move to attract more people to their devices or allow it to only work in their profitable services.

Reactions: black_knight

bLackjackj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
What it doesn't seem to have is a separate number row, a feature I personally used with SwiftKey.
Exactly, I just checked as well and no theme supports a seperate number row,..which is highly annoying. Also auto correction doesn't appear to work, eventhough it's turned on.

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
Exactly, I just checked as well and no theme supports a seperate number row,..which is highly annoying. Also auto correction doesn't appear to work, eventhough it's turned on.
I don't use autocorrection but another missing feature is SwiftKey's ability to turn the keyboard into a track pad by long-pressing the space bar, so you can position the cursor very precisely.

Gboard looks like it has something implemented on spacebar long press (the keys disappear) but it doesn't work, it's showing me nonsense suggestions instead of moving the cursor.

Reactions: lia1tan

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA

You know, the app that was removed from the Play Store almost immediately after Apple bought it in 2020.
The big difference is Apple is shutting down Dark Sky because it wants to use the technology in their weather app. If Microsoft bought it to put it on their Windows phone, then yes I can see pulling it from the App Store because they would want that keyboard exclusive for their phone, but where exactly is Windows phone right now? Oh yeah, still sleeping and dreaming about the iPhone’s funeral 😂

Also, they’re not pulling it from the android store from my understanding. Apple completely removed Dark Sky even from its own App Store. I’m not happy to shut that up down because I use it but I understand the motivation. It’s not to spite their competition.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
If it is free, sure it "benefits a competitor". But if paid, say part of Microsoft 365, then it would be a good value add for the suite.
True, but I think Microsoft is a bit shortsighted when it comes to the situation. They are unhappy with what’s going on with Apple Silicon so they’ve been an all out war against Apple or at least a marketing war. They could’ve went in partnership with them instead of being in bed with Intel, but they sign the ARM exclusivity contract with QUALCOMM so they can’t even do that.

• Haha
Reactions: Stella

FNi

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2011
Is there something going on with third party keyboards? Google barely updates GBoard for iOS anymore and its gotten very buggy. Are they just too much of a hassle to maintain?

Reactions: lia1tan and com.B

okeribok

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2009
Now it's time to download the IPA and iTunes 12.6.5.3 and start saving IPA files so you could use swiftkey longer than Microsoft would want you to do. I have one saved locally so I can still use it if I want to.

To anyone else, download the app IPA file now so you could use the app for a few more years. Also, local IPA is the only way to counter dev/Apple pulling apps. I fear Apple will also remove the app in your purchase history so you can no longer redownload it directly. (Vidget was pulled and I can only use it by installing it using iMazing)
Sounds good, but how does that work? Don't you need ios 13 or even 12 for that to work? And macos 10.14 or something? Would like to know more as I tried pretty hard, but got nowhere.

On topic: it's because apple is becoming more and more draconian to developers that are looking to do more than they can do in a Web app.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
maybe works for countries that Apple care about, but for my language (polish) with additional english enabled it doesnt really work well. when Im writing english words it wants to autocorrect them to polish words.

not to mention total lack of suggestions like english language has, for the polish language.
It works poorly even for languages that support prediction. Over time it also pollutes the predictions for language X with words for language Y.

Reactions: arkitect

okeribok

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2009

How about emagic logic and many others that apple bought and immediately shut down non-apple support for. At least SwiftKey stuck around for a couple of years.

Reactions: arkitect and timber

slammer0

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
In Denmark (and I'm sure many other countries around the globe) we are still stuck with a built-in 1st gen. iOS keyboard. No Swipe. No Predictions. No Multi-language. Just plain ol' typing one character at a time.
Same in Poland. 38 million people country. I thought they will add more languages in a year or two. Nope. I don't even wish for Siri (esp. on HomePod) but feakin keyboard?! They talk about inclusivity and all but in reality it is just about US minorities.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I wonder what data they were accessing to make this work that Apple cut off. Or what didn’t they want you knowing they were accessing. I can assure you that if it was something that could make Apple look bad, Microsoft would be very vocal about it. There’s no way they would allow this to go away with a whimper. It could be a competitive move to attract more people to their devices or allow it to only work in their profitable services.
It might just be that it gained less traction than they were hoping for, so they decided it’s not worth it anymore.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
maybe works for countries that Apple care about, but for my language (polish) with additional english enabled it doesnt really work well. when Im writing english words it wants to autocorrect them to polish words.

not to mention total lack of suggestions like english language has, for the polish language.
Offline translate finally came to Polish language and is awesome in my opinion both in Safari or Translate App.
So there are finally chances for keyboard in near future or even Siri…

Anyways Apple shame on you for not updating keyboard for a really long time. Swipe is not necessary at first, just give damn suggestions.

Reactions: prwnr

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Now it's time to download the IPA and iTunes 12.6.5.3 and start saving IPA files so you could use swiftkey longer than Microsoft would want you to do. I have one saved locally so I can still use it if I want to.

To anyone else, download the app IPA file now so you could use the app for a few more years. Also, local IPA is the only way to counter dev/Apple pulling apps. I fear Apple will also remove the app in your purchase history so you can no longer redownload it directly. (Vidget was pulled and I can only use it by installing it using iMazing)
the IPA will stop working if they change the signing signature like they did in 14.5 but there’s still a way to download it with the updated signature even if it’s removed from your purchased history as long as you have the expired IPA and imazing.

EDIT: for those who want a more visual approach on how to save the Swiftkey IPA file, I made a quick tutorial video. Hope it helps! :

Last edited:

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
This only works with a small number of languages. Apple calls it Multilingual Typing and the supported languages are listed here:

Thanks for the link to that. Good to see there is some effort behind this from Apple's side, but of course the lack of languages is a problem. Google/Android is definitely much better when it comes to this. Come on Apple!

Reactions: lia1tan and xyz01
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.