MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Microsoft Updates Office 2008 and Office 2004

https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Microsoft today issued updates for both Office 2008 and Office 2004. The updates provide improvements to "stability and performance" and "address vulnerabilities that an attacker can use to overwrite the contents of a computer's memory by using malicious code."

Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.1.2 Update weighs in at 159.6 MB and addresses security vulnerabilities and AppleScript reliability through the suite of Office applications, as well as providing specific performance improvements for Word, Excel, and Entourage. A full list of improvements is included on Microsoft's update description page.

Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.5.1 Update weighs in at 14.5 MB and addresses security vulnerabilities, as well as fixing a specific stability issue in Word 2004 involving documents containing numbered lists and updating the Japanese postal code dictionary in Entourage 2004. Microsoft's update description page details these improvements and provides additional information about the update.

Article Link

Comment

aajad

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2007
Office 2008 12.1.2 Update

And I got the dreaded:

You cannot install Office 2008 12.1.2 Update on this volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume.

AGAIN! Legal copy and this s@#t! Any ideas?

This happened with 12.1.1 also because I had deleted localizations. I followed snorkeller1's suggestions and I turned off Remove Localized Files in Macaroni so that I would not have this problem again. I checked the SLT.bundle and it has all languages so I am lost. Help anyone?

Comment

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Good to know, and thanks for that. Yes, "weighs in" is a very good way of describing it. The update is downloading just now, quite fully occupying my MBP and taking the best part of half an hour to do so. It has just struck me, looking at the details of this update, that this thing takes up a little over twice the whole HDD of my first computer, back in the very early 1990s. This update "weighs in" at 160 mb; my antique had 80mb, and ran a much more primitive (but not at all ineffective) version of MS Office, perfectly adequate for its day. A clock speed of 33mhz also crosses my mind. Hilariously, (in hindsight,) I also remember being introduced to the first desktop to have 1 GB in that entire section of our university, and the awed shiver which greeted it from staff and students alike. The date for that was mid 1990s. Has anyone else fond memories of computing antiquity? Cheers.

Comment

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I love how it expands to take up a half-gig ... Word seems to boot up a little faster and is a little more responsive.

Comment

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Yes, I was just looking at that, and mentally doing the maths in my head; you're right. It does, er, seem to expand to half a gig. It is fortunate then, that we have the GBs to spare for good old MS. Cheers.

Comment

surroundfan

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
I'm also having this problem, having previously removed languages with Monolingual. I will try the old remedy of reinstalling Office if the other trick of replacing the setup assistant with the one from 12.1.0 doesn't work. It really annoys me that MS couldn't be bothered amending their code despite the fact that a large number of people were inconvenienced with this issue when 12.1.1 was released. :mad:

Dear Microsoft, every other software developer can work around the fact that some people don't want several gigs of unwanted languages on their systems. Why can't you?

Comment

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
If you guys would quit tinkering with your macs and deleting the language files so that the program would pass the upgrade checks you wouldn't be in this boat.

:rolleyes:

Comment

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Word and the eternally tardy Excel both boot up far faster I'm delighted to report; however, it must be said this update was not before time given comments on other threads about Office 2008......cheers

Comment

surroundfan

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
If you guys would quit tinkering with your macs and deleting the language files so that the program would pass the upgrade checks you wouldn't be in this boat.

:rolleyes:

I would if I had a Mac Pro with 1TB of storage, but I don't. Instead, I have a Mac Mini with an 80GB HDD (including 50GB of iTunes as well as a myriad of other stuff) meaning it's full to the brim. Every gig of space I can save, regardless of how I save it, is extremely valuable.

Comment

Royale w/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Yep, Word, Excel, PowerPoint all boot faster (finally) I am happy to say, this was starting to get very annoying being I am running it on a penryn MBP.

Anybody check Safari's snappiness yet? ;) (usually don't, but I had too)

Comment

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I used xslimmer after the last update and didn't have any problems this time. I just slimmed them again, so we'll see when the next update comes out.

Comment

e.m.

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
San Francisco
Does the Office 2008 update require the previous update?

Like others here, I strip localizations. After finding that I couldn't install the update because of it, I didn't bother applying the update.

edit: I see that 12.1.1 is a requirement. Should of checked first.

Comment

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
It seems to have fixed my issues with spaces. I'll know more after a more thorough test, but for a while there it was simultaneously funny and sad watching me chase windows around my spaces.

Comment

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Does the Office 2008 update require the previous update?

Like others here, I strip localizations. After finding that I couldn't install the update because of it, I didn't bother applying the update.

edit: I see that 12.1.1 is a requirement. Should of checked first.

Far out. They are making the same mistake as with 2004 all over again - eventually we will have to apply 12 separate updates again after a reinstall. And this time the updates are ridiculously much bigger to boot.

Comment

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I run a MacBook with 120GB of HD space, shared with a Boot Camp partition for XP with 32GB. I'm still fine with the half gig updates, as they really don't take much space after you install. MS just likes to freak us out while in reality its alot less.

Comment

mwp98223

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
Conway Washington
And I got the dreaded:

You cannot install Office 2008 12.1.2 Update on this volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume.

AGAIN! Legal copy and this s@#t! Any ideas?

This happened with 12.1.1 also because I had deleted localizations. I followed snorkeller1's suggestions and I turned off Remove Localized Files in Macaroni so that I would not have this problem again. I checked the SLT.bundle and it has all languages so I am lost. Help anyone?

Yep. Same problem here all over again with both my iMac and Macbook. Why oh why does this happen with Office every single frickin time and no other software seems to have this trouble.

Comment

kgarr

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2005
Philadelphia
Nope, spaces still freaks out, and it still decided that I can't save as a docx from time to time (tells me the drive is missing)

Comment

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Calculation performance is improved.
This update improves the overall performance of calculations in Excel 2008, especially when you work with large data sets and complex formulas.

I have a worksheet with 60.000 rows without any formulas, but with some filtering etc. It is still incredibly slow. I'm really getting tired of this.

I have to resort to my Lenovo Thinkpad, which has half of the specs of my MBP to work on this sheet. :mad:

Comment

snorkeller1

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2003
MSO'08 12.1.2 update for de-localized installations - same issue & fix

Again, the Microsoft Office Setup Assistant/Contents/PlugIns/SLT.bundle from MSO'08 SP1 Update 12.1.0 had to be extracted, using Pacifist (look for Office2008_en_core_12.1.0.combo.pkg within the update-installer).

(The SLT.bundle, if extracted from the 12.1.1 updater, will result in empty .lproj language folders)

All that was needed was to move the various .lproj folders back into my de-localized copy of SLT.bundle; the other bundle components had been updated by the 12.1.1 updater and were left alone.

The multi-language 12.1.1(080522) SLT.bundle shows as 180,275 bytes in size and contains 11 .lproj folders, same specs as the new 12.1.2(080729) SLT.bundle with all languages.

Again, without fixing permissions, safe-booting, or shutting down other running applications, the 12.1.2 update went OK.

If your de-localized 12.1.1 installation is where it should be, you have admin access, and the above is no help, then something else in the Microsoft Office Setup Assistant app could be amiss or whatever. MS's elephant-gun-kill-a-flea approach may help ??

Comment

aajad

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2007
MSO'08 12.1.2 update for de-localized installations - same issue & fix

Snorkeller1, you were a big help last time with 12.1.1, thanks. However, I have since stopped removing localizations (they're all in the 12.1.1 SLT.bundle) so this doesn't apply and it's still not working. Any other ideas?

Comment

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Nope, spaces still freaks out, and it still decided that I can't save as a docx from time to time (tells me the drive is missing)

That sucks with the spaces thing- I was looking forward to that working out. You know, spaces works so much bettter with illustrator CS2, which runs under rosetta and was written before the idea of spaces existed. Microsoft coulnd't fix it after three patches?

As for everyone upset about the half gig updates, isn't the half gig figure the gross addition and the net after deleting files from the last patch much less? The entire app folder is less than a gig for me now, and I've applied all three or four updates.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.