Microsoft Word crashing upon Quit in Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by higgalls, Aug 29, 2009.

1. higgalls macrumors regular

Hey,

Today, after updating to Snow Leopard, I have been noticing that when I have been working on a word document (Office 2008), when I quick (command + q), it will go to close and then suddenly crash asking me if I want to send a crash report and relaunch.

Has anyone else been having this happen to them? It has happened a few times today to me. it is always when I am quitting with a document open (but saved).

Cheers,
    Chris

2. nadyne macrumors 6502a

I haven't heard of any issues like this.

Is it just happening on one document when you close, or is it any document?
    Are the documents that you're trying to close .docx, .doc, or something else?
    Are you on the latest version of Word 2008 (12.2.1 as of this writing)?
    Can you close the document (cmd-w, or the red X in the upper left corner) without a crash?

Regards,
    Nadyne.

3. hearudude55 macrumors newbie

Crashing Word and Excel!!!!!!

Office 2008 products, spinning beach ball of doom.
    Then have to force quit!
    If it continues I will use my clone back to Leopard.
    How can this be?
    I need these apps!
    What BS!
    :mad::mad::mad::mad:

4. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

I have long given up on ever being able to use Office apps properly. People will just have to do with a Pages .doc export.

5. higgalls thread starter macrumors regular

It is crashing after I have been working on any document. I started an assignment in Word today, and finished it WOOT, but when I did command + Q, it closed and then word said it crashed and wanted to know whether I wanted to report the crash or not.

Stupid Microsoft...

6. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Word 2008 as well as Excel 2008 are working since my upgrade to 10.6.

I have had numerous crashes in System Preferences in the last two hours, but my Microsoft software has been fine.

To paraphrase the previous post, Stupid Apple. :D

7. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Office 2008 has never worked properly for me, always slow and buggy. Well I didn't let microsoft spoil my mac experience and have since switched to iwork, Pages loads fast and is much better to use.

8. UKjeremy macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem over and over again. As soon as the doc goes into automatic save, it crashes and asks if I want to send a report. Maddening. I'd be happy to use Pages, if clients weren't all Microsoft Office.

9. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Are you guys running with all of the latest Office updates? I have two Macs here with Office 2008 and neither of them have any problems with any MS Office components under Snow Leopard.

10. simonshek macrumors member

If you want to use fast, snappy MS Office, use it on Windows. (I know... It is sad. sorry, fanboy.)
    Excel always crash when file contain more than 6000+ rows of number. It just crashes when I make a graph for these data. Windows one would not crash. Maybe one of the wired ways that MS wants users switch to use Windows.
    btw, I have the least version of Office:mac

11. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

I can report I get this crash too.

When I quit out sometimes, I get the crash. Not easy to replicate. Running fully up to date.

Edit: I thought I had 12.2.1 - in fact, I still have the updater dmg, but my apps reports 12.2.0 - is that normal?

[​IMG]

12. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

My solution is OpenOffice (free) & soon I may splurge on iWork since Apple software is so great!

13. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

I hate to disappoint the fanboys, but I don't have crashes using MSO (with the exception of one file I suspect is corrupted). If Pages was in any way useful I might consider it, but it lacks the functionality of Word. As far as the other apps are concerned, I don't use them so I'm not going to comment.

14. higgalls thread starter macrumors regular

I have the latest version of MS Office 2008 (12.2.1).

Hopefully Microsoft will bring out an update soon that will fix this problem.

I was thinking of reinstalling all of Office. Hopefully that will fix the problem (I doubt it though). It definately only started happening when Snow Leopard was installed.

15. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Uh, Word can lack the functionality of Word if you're working on a different version than the people you share files with. OpenOffice has no problem with any Word or Excel files I get from several different sources, nor does anyone using MS Office have issues with my files saved from OpenOffice (they don't even know I'm using it in most cases).

The issues I see are with people trying to use a Microsoft Office 2007 plugin for Office 2003. It seems OpenOffice works better with Office 2007 files than Office 2003, furthermore OpenOffice is more user friendly to people used to the pre-Office 2007 user interface.

I have heard many great things about iWork, especially how much better Keynote is than PowerPoint... & for the price you can't go wrong so I am willing to try and have OpenOffice to rely upon for free as my proven tool.

Microsoft offers...
    . Office 2008 Home & Student (wannabe fanboy) Edition $149.95
    . Office 2008 for Mac (fanboy) Edition $399.95
    . Office 2008 for Mac Special Media ("special" fanboy) Edition $499.95

Aren't there functionality differences between these editions?

PS: for ~$230 cheaper than Office 2008 for Mac (fanboy) Edition, you can get iWork '09... & iLife '09... & Snow Leopard!

16. simonshek macrumors member

Actually, reinstalling the office does not help because the MacBU knows that the Office:mac is much slower than the Windows Office. It is because the Office:mac is slower than the Windows Office. I just want a new version of office with no/little new feature. I just want the Office run faster and more "use-able" excel & word.

17. higgalls thread starter macrumors regular

HAHA - Microsoft will never do that (although I would love them to). Only Apple was game enough to do that with Snow Leopard. Instead, Microsoft seems to do whatever it can to burden the software as much as they can with new features most people don't care about.

Anyway, the slowness of Office:Mac doesn't worry me too much. It is the constant crashing when quitting that is frustrating me (and making me afraid that it is doing things to my documents that I have been working on - so far so good though).

18. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Office 2010 for Mac will be a 64 bit native Cocoa application, so I expect it to address a lot of the speed complaints from Mac users.

And, I'm sure by 2011 it will be relatively bug free!! :p

19. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

That's a sure bet based on Microsoft's track record :rolleyes:

20. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

So true, I wonder if Ballmer has the nerve to tell the Mac BU to purposely make the Mac Office suite suck and keep it way below the standards of the Windows version? It just makes me ill how MS can charge such a high premium to the Mac users for Office and they purposely dumb it down to keep people on Windows. This is exactly why I am so glad that year after year Apple makes sure that their customers are less dependent upon these stupid companies that refuse to make any decent Mac software. Example, Exchange on SL. ;)

21. nicegoogly macrumors regular

nicegoogly

It is not just Word

As much as I would like to blame Microsoft for my issues with word on snow Leopard, I think it is Apple's issues. I noticed in word, when go to open file and use the spotlight feature on the open file dialog box, choose from the list it pulls up, it opens the document and then crashes. I did all sorts of font duplication fixes, Snow Leopard Cache Cleaner, reinstallation and nothing fixed that problem. Mind you, if I use the menu bar spotlight, or spotlight in finder, or naviagate to the file myself in the open file dialog box, it opens with no issues. I then opened my mail, wanted to attach a document, the open file dialog box came up and I used spotlight in that to get an attachment I wanted, chose from the list and it crashed like Word did. So far, those are the only two apps that did that for the same reason. I can drop and drag and navigate to the file with no issues, but both the Apple app and the Microsoft App suffered the same exact problem and crashed the same exact way. Apples issues. Powerpoint and Excel do not do this. I don't use enterouge so I cannot tell you if it does the same thing. Anyone else with issues in other Apps when opening a file using the in app spotlight?

Additionally, I tried attached different file types, .doc's, .xls', .jpeg's. Same result if I used spotlight in Mail.

22. chused macrumors newbie

Office 2008 Crashes in Snow Leopard

I had similar issues. After loading Snow Leopard, Office 2008 programs crashed when I opened files. It was a nightmare. Read on another forum site that there was a cure-- Go to System Preferences/Sharing. If File Sharing is turned on, turn it off after removing all shared folders or filed from the list. If File Sharing is off, but contains a list, remove everything from the list and make sure it is turned off. Reboot. I did that and the problem disappeared. Since I am not sharing anything at the moment, I left File Sharing off rather than turning it back on to see what happened. Others have reported this works as well. I have no idea why it worked, but I'm not complaining that computers can be stupid.

23. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I would recommend calling Microsoft [(800) MICROSOFT in the US] to ask for assistance / report their bug.

If you find that their level of customer support does not quite live up to the MS Office price you paid, then I would recommend giving iWork or OpenOffice a try.

I have been using both and am quite satisfied! These days I only use iWork. No crash problems & snappy on SL... it's so nice!

24. rubberglover macrumors newbie

The problem is snow leopard

I hate to say it, but I think these problems are down to Apple. I have the same problem as someone that posted above, though it's not isolated to particular apps.

If I use spotlight from an 'open file' or 'save file' dialogue box it will crash the app when I click ok... ANY app. This is happening in Firefox, CS4 apps, safari, even text edit. I've completely formatted the drive and done a fresh install and it's still happening...

First time I've ever had a consistent buggy problem on my Mac. I hope Apple sort these problems before it damages their reputation for stability!

25. woodenbrain macrumors member

Word 2008 has this problem for me as well, exactly. Very irritating but also fairly ignorable.

Other more series problems, like drawing glitches, or documents not coming to the front when switching from another space, are much more of a problem.

Still you'd think they'd fix obvious and common defects.