Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srockford

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
I am considering getting the iWork suite to better tie my apple devices together with iCloud. I know that pages is very compatible with word when it comes to saving but I am worried about its functionality. Is it worth it?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I am considering getting the iWork suite to better tie my apple devices together with iCloud. I know that pages is very compatible with word when it comes to saving but I am worried about its functionality. Is it worth it?

IMO what should drive your decision is how often you share files with MS Office users. If it is frequently and those documents contain complex formatting, just go with MS Office. If you will not be sharing with MS Office users very often, Pages is a very nice solution and as you mentioned the iCloud integration is a plus.

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA
Pages is great for working on the fly, but it's nowhere near Microsoft Word when it comes to functionality.

Yup. I switched to pages a while back, and then switched back to office. It just has far more functionality and customizability.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States

Depends on how much you have to share/use with others.

But for the most part, I would get Office. I think it's an overall superior product.

Thegolem

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
England
I bought pages but can't use it on my Mac 'cause I'm still running Leopard. I'm intending to upgrade to ML sometime in the next few months in anticipation of the next MS Office which I then intend to get for my Mac and phone and then ipad when i get one. Hopefully, the next MS Office will, as I believe is about to happen on Windows, enable synching docs across all 3 devices either that or synch to Skydrive which will be just as good.

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2012
Office is definitely superior in my opinion. Also, if you really don't want to pay for Office then go ahead and get Libre office. iWork is pretty bad.

Death-T

macrumors regular
May 18, 2012
Savannah, Georgia
If you want Microsoft Word, then you havta buy the whole Microsoft Office bundle which cost $120 for one license, or $150 for three licenses. You can buy Pages by itself for just $20, and it will work on any number of Macs. Or you can get the whole iWork suite for $60. You havta buy the apps again if you want to use them on iOS, which is kind of lame, but then again you can't even use Office on iOS, and you can get an unlimited license for iWork on both OS X and iOS for the same price that you pay to use Office on one computer.

Just saying, economically iWork makes more sense, and if you're invested in the Apple ecosystem then it will be more useful and versatile for you especially with its iCloud integration.

Then again, the rest of the world uses Office. I haven't had any compatibility issues with Word and Pages, but working between Keynotes and Power Point is a nightmare if you find yourself in that situation. If you're worried about that sort of thing then Office might be better for you.

They both have their advantages. If you just have a Mac, then iWork won't be as much use to you. Office makes more sense then. But if you've got (for example) an iMac, MacBook, iPad, and an iPhone then iWork really shines. I got the best of both worlds, but I paid for iWorks myself and got Office as a graduation present.

Thegolem

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
England
If you want Microsoft Word, then you havta buy the whole Microsoft Office bundle which cost $120 for one license, or $150 for three licenses. You can buy Pages by itself for just $20, and it will work on any number of Macs. Or you can get the whole iWork suite for $60. You havta buy the apps again if you want to use them on iOS, which is kind of lame, but then again you can't even use Office on iOS, and you can get an unlimited license for iWork on both OS X and iOS for the same price that you pay to use Office on one computer.

Just saying, economically iWork makes more sense, and if you're invested in the Apple ecosystem then it will be more useful and versatile for you especially with its iCloud integration.

Then again, the rest of the world uses Office. I haven't had any compatibility issues with Word and Pages, but working between Keynotes and Power Point is a nightmare if you find yourself in that situation. If you're worried about that sort of thing then Office might be better for you.

They both have their advantages. If you just have a Mac, then iWork won't be as much use to you. Office makes more sense then. But if you've got (for example) an iMac, MacBook, iPad, and an iPhone then iWork really shines. I got the best of both worlds, but I paid for iWorks myself and got Office as a graduation present.

I think MS are bringing out a version of Office for the idevices and Macs that integrates like iWorks.

signatus

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
Andalucía, Spain

I use both of them and OpenOffice, both for document creation and spreadsheets. Experience tells me that MS Office is the best option for text documents, especially if you use the Mac version (curiously enough, MS has a better MS Office layout in the Mac version than in the Windows version; I use both).

IMO Numbers suits my needs much better and is more user-friendly than Excel is. But then you have the compatibility issue, which obliges you to export files every time you need to share them; it can get to be annoying because you can't just modify the file and save, because then you have to export again.

In the end, it depends on whether it's only you who will have to work with the files (then go for the iWork suite, because it is iCloud integrated) or you will have to share them with other people, and then I recommend MS Office. Like it or not, Office has become the standard software.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Microsoft Office, hands down.

Openoffice is great too, if you don't want to pay anything.
Will easily replace Microsoft Office.

You're better off with OpenOffice than iWork

Thegolem

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
England
It's been rumored for years, but MS hasn't made any announcements though and I wouldn't count on it by any stretch of the imagination.

They've definitely said there's going to be one for the ipad* so I'm presuming iphone too so that changes things vis-a-vis the next Mac Office which will be the first one that can integrate with the idevices version.

*unless it's just the Skydrive app

Last edited:

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Do you have a cite - I just heard about Skydrive possibly coming. Office on the iPad has never been confirmed by anybody at Microsoft as far as I have can tell. Best you get are rumors from people who claim that MS has one. Nothing official on the record about the office suite.

Thegolem

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
England
Do you have a cite - I just heard about Skydrive possibly coming. Office on the iPad has never been confirmed by anybody at Microsoft as far as I have can tell. Best you get are rumors from people who claim that MS has one. Nothing official on the record about the office suite.

No. I thought I'd double check after I posted and the first page of resuts didn't throw up anything concrete. I Can't remeber where I heard/read it. I'm pretty sure I did see it somewhere and it wasn't just Skydrive.

I've just dl the trial version of Office for Mac and in the intro page with a few little icons and info about features there's one that says 'Access your files anywhere'. Anyone know what that means? Is it just a reference to being able to upload a file to Skydrive? If not then does it mean somehow files from my Mac can be accessed from other devices online? That doesn't sound likely. I'm going to investigate myself but I'd appreciate a quick sum up. Thanks.

Last edited:

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
No. I thought I'd double check after I posted and the first page of resuts didn't throw up anything concrete. I Can't remeber where I heard/read it. I'm pretty sure I did see it somewhere and it wasn't just Skydrive.

Pretty sure it was just a rumor site. If there was an official announcement it would be really available from google.

I've just dl the trial version of Office for Mac and in the intro page with a few little icons and info about features there's one that says 'Access your files anywhere'. Anyone know what that means? Is it just a reference to being able to upload a file to Skydrive? If not then does it mean somehow files from my Mac can be accessed from other devices online? That doesn't sound likely. I'm going to investigate myself but I'd appreciate a quick sum up. Thanks.
It is just a marketing phrase. Probably referring to multi-platform compatibility or something similar. It could mean anything though. I wonder if they explicitly mention something in small print or something since Office on the Mac doesn't integrate with Skydrive like Pages does with iCloud last I checked.

I don't think they are talking anything about Office for iOS though - there are already office suites on iOS (non Microsoft thought) and there is native support for viewing word documents from things like email.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.