Microsoft Working on Wireless In-Ear 'Surface Buds' to Rival AirPods

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 15, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Microsoft is planning to launch a pair of wireless earbuds under the Surface brand that will be a direct competitor to Apple's AirPods, according to sources familiar with the company's plans who spoke to Thurrott. The earbuds are currently in development under the code name "Morrison."

[​IMG]

These are described to be in-ear wireless headphones, just like the AirPods. This isn't the first time Microsoft has created and sold its own headphones, as it currently sells the $349.99 Surface Headphones on its website.

The Surface Headphones are large, over-ear headphones with advanced features like noise cancellation. The new device would likely carry over a few features seen in the Surface Headphones, however, like Cortana integration and "a way to improve interactions between a phone and the earbuds to make reading content easier on the phone."

At this time, the name of the earbuds is not yet confirmed, but the simple moniker of "Surface Buds" is said to have been tossed around within the company.

Apple just updated the AirPods to version 2, which includes "Hey Siri" functionality and wireless charging. The full lineup now includes the AirPods 2 with Wireless Charging Case ($199), AirPods 2 with standard Charging Case ($159), and the standalone Wireless Charging Case ($79) that adds wireless charging capabilities to your existing AirPods.

Article Link: Microsoft Working on Wireless In-Ear 'Surface Buds' to Rival AirPods

2. bchery21 macrumors 6502a

bchery21

Interesting, wonder how they can incorporate that iconic design for noise-cancellation, if at all.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It seems the AirPods set the market standard for wireless convenience and battery life. Now you have Amazon and Microsoft both aiming trying to compete against AirPods. Competition is always a good thing, but Good luck.

4. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

Hope they do well.....Hopefully Microsoft will make them water proof like the AirPods should be.
    Wonder if you will have to reboot them every time you use them? :p

5. justperry, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019

justperry macrumors G3

justperry

6. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

Yeah, the consumer hardware giant, Microsoft.

7. Intellectua1 macrumors regular

Intellectua1

"Microsoft is working to develop wireless headphones under the Surface moniker"
    I fixed the title for you! Not everyone cares to compete with Apple or their Sonicare headphones, they're not even the best on the market.

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You know though, the AirPods are fairly water resistant for what they are, I’ve used them in all types of conditions, and I’ve never had a problem with them failing. But I agree that Apple could add at least a water resistance rating of some sort to the AirPods as an improvement in the future.

9. trekkie604 macrumors 68000

trekkie604

My Galaxy Buds sound pretty nice and they don't look like qtips in the ears. That's what I disliked about the airpods, so that is good. But you definitely sacrifice mic quality.

10. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

"Hey Apple did something good! Let's all copy them" - all companies since 1979

11. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

Well...I didn't say they were failing..... I just wish they were water proof. My sons were in his gym shorts and went through the wash. I know thats on him...but for $159 they should be water proof

12. scottinlexky macrumors member

scottinlexky

13. jlseattle macrumors 6502

jlseattle

Oh Microsoft, stick with what you know. Your hardware has always sucked. So just give it up already. Or come out with something that will push Apple to the next level (not likely). Anyone remember the Zune. hahahhahaha

14. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

I see people at the gym, “sweating like a pig(as it were)”, with AirPods. I personally wouldn’t use them like that since Apple was clear they are not sweat resistant. But to each their own.

15. craigmak macrumors member

I don’t think I want something called a “surface bud” stuck in my ear.

16. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I gathered that, I was just indicating that even without a water resistance, they never have failed on me for any reason at all to water/moisture exposure.

I doubt Apple would make them waterproof, but maybe add an water resistant to them. Either way, as a future improvement, I would say this would be a staple to add some type of water resistance for the AirPods.

17. jlseattle macrumors 6502

jlseattle

My airpods have been through the wringer. I've run in heavy rain, sweated and dropped into water. They come out like a champ. The biggest issue I have is losing them.

18. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

At least Samsung copies Apple immediately - - Microsoft takes 3 years to do it.

19. dumastudetto macrumors 68040

Who wouldn’t want deeper integration with Cortana?
    Everyone.

20. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

...to rival AirPods. Oh, Microsoft, bless your heart.
    Hey, maybe they bought Bragi's hardware division.

21. jlseattle macrumors 6502

jlseattle

What's cortana? Oh yea, the lowest used smart system that exists. Alexa/Siri out rank Cortana by far. FAIL

Anyone remember the ZUNE? LMAO

22. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

In a way though, all these products tend to copy each other one way or the other in terms of design, features, etc. But what makes the AirPods unique, is what they were offering in terms battery life, W1/H1 Chip and compact design. I don’t mean to gush on Apple products specifically, even though I do like other competitor products, but the AirPods have to be one of the best accessories Apple has ever created.

23. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Noise cancelling headphones have existed for 70 years. The only thing "advanced" about the feature is its age.

24. slide_to_unlock macrumors member

slide_to_unlock

25. PickUrPoison macrumors 68040

“Microsoft is working to develop new brand name after failure of the Surface moniker”. I fixed the title for you! Amazon/Microsoft/Samsung all try to compete with Apple and their earphones/tablets/smartphones, the best selling products on the market.