Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mercury

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2003
This is stupid. I mean, Apple shouldn't have used 11p font; it doesn't make sense.

All formal reports, etc go in >= 12p fonts.

But on the other hand, I had a good laugh at MS's word on their objection. Lmao!

And they used COURIER! And their margins are too wide!

Wait a minute, this is like the opposite of high school...

Dammit Microsoft, stop being a Melvin.

Courier sized 11 is often used in legal briefs submitted to courts in the United States. And I believe the complaint was that they didn't use size 11, but smaller.

satpalram

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2010
GB
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Glad I'm not a lawyer. Imagine spending a day writing that up.

Mercury

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Glad I'm not a lawyer. Imagine spending a day writing that up.

I don't have to imagine...and it probably took much longer than a day.
FWIW, Apple's brief was more interesting and pointed than most.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You see, Apple invented the name "App Store". Before the iPhone, there was no such thing as the "App Store". Before Microsoft, there were still windows. Millions of them.

May 8, 2008
Did we pay someone from PRSI to write the title of this thread? Talk about misleading...

I'm aware that the title was merely copied from the source, but geez, five seconds was too long a time to rewrite a more appropriate thread title?

Kane08

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
I don't know if apple broke the filing rules or not, that depends on which exact parts constitute the briefing itself and what is supporting material; but thats not the bigger issue in my mind. This whole thing is just pathetic, rather than simply creating a new name, or heaven forbid use one of their existing ones, they are spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on a legal battle.

8ate8

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2010
Central Jersey
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Time to pull the old high school essay paper trick and mess with the margins and line spacing. Also I recommend they try 10.5 size font. Hard to tell the difference and you can probably squeeze in a couple extra lines by the end of a 25 page document.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Apple computers run "APPlicationS"

So they logically called iOS software "Apps"

Windows runs "PROGramS"

What should Microsoft call their store and the software for their mobile OS? Let me think...

It's up to them, especially since marketing material I recently found while cleaning out an old office, referred to running [app name] Application on Windows 3.1

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You see, Apple invented the name "App Store". Before the iPhone, there was no such thing as the "App Store". Before Microsoft, there were still windows. Millions of them.

Actually, there was an application store before iOS... Apple just trademarked it first as the "app store", which is what MS is trying to say is not justified. And unless you have your J.D., you probably don't know what you're talking about.

mfulton

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2010
I don't really see that as a COMPLAINT about the font size per se... it's really a complaint about the length of the document... the mention of font size is just part of the description of the length.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'm going to side with MS here.

App store is too general.

It would be like trademarking grocery store.
I couldn't agree more.

What a stupid post. Microsoft isn't complaining about font size, they're complaining that apple has exceeded the size limit for their response brief, using font size to do so. Get a grip. This is hardly surprising, and these sorts of technical complaints are hardly atypical of lawyers.
Exactly. I don't think the point is ... well the point. ;)

blybug

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2003
Galveston, TX
Document1.png

wisty

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2009
IANAL, but here's my understanding of the legal process

Ideas are soldiers. They are on your side, or the other one. You bring as many soldiers as you can, and try to eliminate all the soldiers on the other side.

- the claim wasn't properly filed
- the claim was written in the wrong font
- the claim is invalid
- even if the claims valid, my client wasn't at fault
- even if he was at fault, there's a loophole
- even if there's no loophole, there were no damages
- even if there were damage, they were caused by another party
- OK, partly caused by another party

and so on.

The US court system is practically designed to make lawyers rich.

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2007
IANAL, but here's my understanding of the legal process

Ideas are soldiers. They are on your side, or the other one. You bring as many soldiers as you can, and try to eliminate all the soldiers on the other side.

- the claim wasn't properly filed
- the claim was written in the wrong font
- the claim is invalid
- even if the claims valid, my client wasn't at fault
- even if he was at fault, there's a loophole
- even if there's no loophole, there were no damages
- even if there were damage, they were caused by another party
- OK, partly caused by another party

and so on.

The US court system is practically designed to make lawyers rich.

BRAVO!

And thank you.

But, regardless of party in America, the vast majority of legislators are last I checked lawyers and they all will stop any effort for tort reform or patent reform because they get so much money from those organizations and the organizations that lawyers represent.

nishioka

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Apple computers run "APPlicationS"

So they logically called iOS software "Apps"

Windows runs "PROGramS"

What should Microsoft call their store and the software for their mobile OS? Let me think...

The Prog Store! And they could run a series of ads with Dream Theater, Yes, and Genesis shilling for them!

MCP-511

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2010
So they are not disputing the contents of said document, but the look of it, which means the contents apparently is accurate. Hilarious stuff. :D

kdarling

macrumors P6
The abbreviation "apps" has been around a long time. If you asked any PDA owner in 2000 what app store he used, he'd have known what you meant, and would've replied Handango or Palm Store or whatever.

A 2005 article entitled "Blackberry software set to surge" stated this:

"Just to put things in perspective, Handango also stocks more than 25,000 Palm apps and more than 20,000 apps for devices based on Windows Mobile, Microsoft's latest moniker for the OS formerly known as Pocket PC."

The article uses the word "apps" almost a dozen times.

That's THREE years before the Apple App Store.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.