Microsoft's New Vista Ad Campaign: Microsoft Mojave

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 29, 2008.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Microsoft has started running ads to try to reverse the bad press that Windows Vista has accumulated this past year. Their new ad campaign points users to MojaveExperiment.

For their "Mojave Experiment", they found people who had bad impressions of Windows Vista but had never used it. They showed the individuals Windows Vista, but told them it was actually a newer version of Windows called Windows Mojave, and recorded their responses.

The ad campaign is part of a larger effort by Microsoft to reverse the negative perception about Vista.

Article Link

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Not bad. Maybe more ppl hear about Vista from apple's ads than the number of people who actually tried..... cute.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

"It's a ossum program you have to see for yourself!"
    Terrible Video.

Funny how they never show them using Vista ... probably had a laptop running OS X.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

haha, plus one for your imagination:D

5. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

If I was not already using OS X, these commercials would not convince me to switch to Vista. At all. All they cared about was how pretty it looked. And how nice the new box looked.

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

I watched a few of those videos, never once seeing what was on the screens. I wonder if they were showing them Mac OS or Linux and claiming it to be Vista.

edit: curses! someone beat me to it.

7. aaronptrck macrumors member

aaronptrck

All I needed to see was about the first minute when everyone was describing how they hated it....

8. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

That was pretty stupid. They are not airing those on TV, are they? They really didn't do a good job of keeping my interest, either. Very scripted.

9. Shagrat macrumors 6502a

Shagrat

Just a bit sad, and really, slightly pathetic.

After getting creamed in the ad stakes, this is the best that MSoft can come up with?

Could ask the same about Vista!!!:D:D:D

10. James17 macrumors 6502

I found this video very interesting. There is a negative perception of Vista that is definite. I used it for 12 months on a XP machine and I thought it was great but I fancied a change from Windows. That video shows how perceptions become stereotypes but real-life testing under a different OS name changed it. Vista is nowhere as near as bad as people make out , in my experience anyway.

11. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

So they're willing to change their opinions after using it for maybe 5 min? I'm sorry, but you can't make a good assessment of an OS until you've actually put it on your computer and used it day in and day out. Lets get an update from these people after using Vista for a month and see if they still love it so much.

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

yeah, you wonder where did those stereotype perceptions come from...

13. Macromullet macrumors newbie

As a developer for windows I can say that Vista is a major pain. It made me, a 10 year windows veteran (after having switched away from the mac) and programmer switch to the mac. I simply couldn't get half the things I needed to work working. It was a complete contrast to OS X and is one of the reasons I'm so into the mac these days. It's very easy to switch people that have never used the product. I mean, they were shown it in a room in a closed demo environment. It's much harder to convince people that use it every single day since the release candidates that it's a good, stable product, especially if they've had the pleasure of using OS X day to day.

SP1 is much better than the RTM version, but Windows as a whole still has major issues with things like focus stealing, weird painting issues, and a general feeling that you aren't in control of the OS, but rather it is in control of you. I'm not talking about the ability to tweak it to your hearts content, but rather the fact that Windows does strange things when you least expect it to, and doesn't do things when you expect it to.

14. Pippen Man macrumors regular

If you read down this thread, more then half of the comments are about how Vista is terrible, or Vista is slow. BUT, if Apple did the same type of experiment with Mac OS X, people would be praising it. It's a great marketing idea by Microsoft, and people are too hypocritical about Vista just because of what people complain about. I have Vista on my machine, and I love it.

But hey, that's my two cents.:rolleyes:

15. halcyo macrumors newbie

Sort of a weird way to promote Vista, but whatever.... Man, did they hire all the same marketing people as Apple or something? Even the freakin' music is like an Apple ad!

halcyo

16. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

Problem with this is I doubt any of those people got to use vista for very long. I bet all they saw was the fancy start up... the fancy start menu and some nice effects.

ALSO i bet vista was running on a 4Gb 3.0Ghz computer. With specs liek that, YES vista will run quite well... most people dont have money to go buy a brand new laptop for vista tho. So these people were seeing what vista is like on a computer that is overqualified to run vista. MOST computers are underqualified to run vista.

Furthermore.. like i said they probably only used vista for 5 minutes or so... in that time its very hard to run into bugs or a crash. IN FACT if vista DID crash within the 5 minutes that would be beyond horrible.

This is a good attempt on microsofts part... but it just doesnt prove much for me.

17. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i don't know, i didn't really like the 'ad'. maybe it's just me though

18. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

So their new approach is to trick people into using Vista by lying to them? Seriously?

19. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

I would have loved to see the screens...kind of shady if you ask me:cool:

20. jwdawso macrumors regular

jwdawso

Typical MS

What a great idea - tell the customer that the customer is wrong. :rolleyes:

Sonicjay's comment is so much better than mine!

21. dcneiner macrumors newbie

The part I really love is that they built the web campaign in Flash vs. Silverlight. Hmm..... I guess even Microsoft knows when not to use its own technology.

That first part is awesome and really solidifies what people feel about Vista... that part was priceless.

22. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

see, I was just wondering where the stereotypical misconceptions of vista came from, now you made such statement.

who told you vista need 3GHz and 4G RAM? Or you just saying it and bet nobody here know anything about vista? LOL, I have hands-on with 3 Vista machines, from 1G RAM to 2G RAM, from 3GHz AMD Athlon64x2 to Intel CoreDuo, to Celeron 1.8Ghz, Vista runs FINE.

YES, I guess M$ did learn something from Apple's PC vs. Mac ads...

23. xix macrumors member

Enjoy your sony and your inferior operating system.

24. jackjason macrumors regular

apple can simply add a line to this add:
    os x is even better..

25. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

Show us in real-time how long it takes to copy/move/delete files in "MOJAVE"!
    ;)