MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

235539-500x_courier8.jpg

Gizmodo reveals some details about a top secret Microsoft project working to introduce a new booklet device with dual 7-inch multi-touch screens.
The dual 7-inch (or so) screens are multitouch, and designed for writing, flicking and drawing with a stylus, in addition to fingers. They're connected by a hinge that holds a single iPhone-esque home button. Statuses, like wireless signal and battery life, are displayed along the rim of one of the screens. On the back cover is a camera, and it might charge through an inductive pad, like the Palm Touchstone charging dock for Pre.
The concept video provided shows the device in use. It incorporates a stylus with handwriting recognition, swipe gestures, and multi-touch actions including pinch zoom.

All the visuals of the devices appear to be concept mockups rather than showing an actual device in action. While Gizmodo describes the device as "late prototype", Engadget claims it isn't near production.

Meanwhile, Apple has been rumored to be entering the tablet market as early as 2010.

Article Link: Microsoft's Prototype Multi-Touch Tablet/Booklet

MasterDev

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
While this is a neat idea, I can imagine how many people will treat it as a real booklet and end up breaking/shattering it.

Comment

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Doesn't mean squat until I can actually use it. Still don't have access to a "Surface" dining room table. Apple will have an ACTUAL shipping device in Q1/10...until then, Microsoft can create mockups of unicorns and it'd be just as real.

Comment

ShiftyPig

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
AU
... but it runs on a MS operating system.

I'm sure people will love the blue left page of death.

Comment

ShiftyPig

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
AU
Doesn't mean squat until I can actually use it. Still don't have access to a "Surface" dining room table. Apple will have an ACTUAL shipping device in Q1/10...until then, Microsoft can create mockups of unicorns and it'd be just as real.

Apple has released less info about a tablet than this, tbf.

Comment

backtothefuture

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2007
Ahhhhhh....let the fanboys begin...
From a competition standpoint, this is freaking great. Lots of people might compare this to iPod/Zune war, but the key difference is that Apple and Microsoft's products could be introduced at similar times- meaning much more comparisons and (hopefully) improvements for both.

I'm just damn suprised we hadnt heard of this sooner- this is already in the prototype stage. Score one for Microsoft.

I just watched the video....damn, this thing is killer. I'm excited. And personally, I like the "booklet", folding in half idea better than a large, flat tablet.
I hope this really jacks up Steve and Co. to bring a new level to the MacTablet.

Comment

travisjacques

macrumors member
May 12, 2009
is it just me or does that thing look incredibly uncomfortable to use? you could only really use it on a table of some sort. the "mobile" just isnt there for me.

Comment

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Oh, stop with the hate.

That looks AMAZING. Instant sale, if they can hurry up and get one to market, and if it isn't hindered too badly by the usual suspects -- battery life, software, sunlight readability (let's not use OLEDs this time, OK?) etc.

It's the Hitchhiker's Guide -- for real! :D

Comment

MasterDev

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
It's the Hitchhiker's Guide -- for real! :D

YES! I'm liking this product now that you said that.

But, the only issue I would have, would be the screen breaking from me using it like I use current booklets. You know the basic toss, throw, slam down, and jam into your bag. Stuff like that I would see people having to get used to with this. Otherwise it looks great from a design point.

Comment

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Apple has released less info about a tablet than this, tbf.

They released less info about an iPod in Q3/01, about an Intel transition in Q2/05, and about an iPhone in Q4/05...just because Apple hasn't released info, doesn't mean they aren't ready to dominate the market...

Comment

Chris Welch

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
New York

Yeah... Because that rumored Q1/2010 launch window is so credible. :rolleyes:

Comment

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island

You seem pretty certain about Apple's release of a tablet device. I was just wondering how long you've been with the company because you seem to be able to confirm rumors that don't seem, until now, to have any type of realistic confirmation.

While I love Apple and think they are great, this looks amazing. Not only that, you can clearly see the functional implementation it carries, which is important. Perhaps Apple will reveal a tablet very soon, because they do have a habit of keeping this very secret until they are ready to be distributed. Even if Apple hold a special event tomorrow and show off a groundbreaking magical tablet that no one could have predicted and they announce it ships tomorrow, this is still a cool device.

I do agree that a major problem is the Microsoft OS and what will probably inevitably lead to a "blue left page of death," however people, myself included, constantly slam Microsoft for copying Apple all the time and not being innovative themselves. I think this product squashes all of that. Even if Apple comes out with a better product and even launches it sooner than this is available, it still shows that Microsoft is trying new things, and that's good.

Competition is never bad. The video attached to this article raises the stakes all on its own. Steve Jobs will see this and either feel good about what he's focused on or will up the ante in his own product.

Just my thoughts on the matter. Bring on the flaming of Microsoft from the irrational fanboys...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.