Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Seems like a rather poor value proposition. Based on the low audio quality being described and lack of noise cancellation, these are more competing with AirPods than AirPods Pro, but the very significant increase in price gets you very good battery life and presumably better gesture support in exchange for MUCH larger and more visible things in your ears.

Seems like a product designed more as a headset for someone in the office at their Windows computer all day than anything, but being that big it seems like they're going to get pretty uncomfortable if you wore them that long.

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
Those franken-buds are atrocious looking — but — with that large outer area you’re able to personalize them with stickers so that’s cool.
I can already see a Pokéball sticker on them or maybe a giant “?” emoji sticker so people know to leave you alone.

If it didn't take away from the touch controls... how about starting a business where people can take a picture of their ear, you print on small stickers and voila! They disappear.

I will request a royalty of $0.25 per each set of stickers sold ;)

Reactions: John.B

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
These things look like the stickers you put on cheap furniture to cover the nail / screw heads.....or a drywall filler applied to ones ear....

uh-uh ... these look more like earlob plugs!!

I never thought an earphone could be designed worse than I thought of the original AirPods.

No the design of these Surface Buds will not grow on me.

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
Why bother comparing these to AirPods? Nobody is going to buy them for use with an iPhone. I doubt anyone will buy AirPods for a phone that isn’t an iPhone. Nobody is cross shopping these wireless earbuds.

Dhonk

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2015
Please remind me of those gauge earrings/piercings that alt people wore about 10 years ago

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
What seems to be no one is asking Versus those who want to argue about design, [and what I believe matters most], does Microsoft really have a play in the ‘wearable sector’ with these earbuds? I don’t think they do. I think they’re slightly late, and there’s a vast amount of competition for earbuds that are either affordable or higher priced in terms of where the AirPods/Sennheiser/Galaxy buds Plus already kind of have their place in this market.

But then again, if you’re an iPhone user, clearly the choice probably will be either beats/AirPods or if your Samsung user, you might be looking at the Galaxy buds Plus. And let’s not forget, carriers will try to bundle certain Bluetooth earbuds with a phone purchase, which obviously will make that decision for the consumer.

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
Those franken-buds are atrocious looking — but — with that large outer area you’re able to personalize them with stickers so that’s cool.
I can already see a Pokéball sticker on them or maybe a giant “?” emoji sticker so people know to leave you alone.

LOL

I immediately thought of Herman Munster when I saw those ugly things!

Microsoft hardware of any sort is a HARD PASS for me. Sure hope they have a lower failure rate than the Surface which was #1 worst in the industry and topped 25% FAIL within the 1st year a few years back.

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
And strangely EarPods, which look pretty much identical (just a bit smaller I think), but with wires, never produced that comment..

I measured my earphones at 36mm x4mm
and a pic online has the wireless ones at 47x7.7 which is a big difference.

plus they look different with wires coming out

Also I see people wearing them, looks like they are usually pointing forward across the cheeks whereas the wired ones point down

You might say these are bad comparisons but shorts vs trousers, singlet vs t-shirt,

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
Appreciate the balanced reporting.
[automerge]1590066750[/automerge]
LOL

I immediately thought of Herman Munster when I saw those ugly things!

Microsoft hardware of any sort is a HARD PASS for me. Sure hope they have a lower failure rate than the Surface which was #1 worst in the industry and topped 25% FAIL within the 1st year a few years back.

Not sure which Surface device you're discussing, but the failure rate is similar to the rest of the industry. We use them at work and they work just fine.

Foohammy

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2019
I used thed these for a few days and I'm returning them. I got them because my Airpods don't give a reliable connection to my surface book. These don't either. The connection is intermittent and sometimes there is a background noise. Support said this was a common problem. I'm kind of amazed that MS released these. I also don't like the look and they are noticeably uncomfortable. I'm really disappointed in them.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
This is so ugly it reminds me of the African tribes that install discs on their lower lip.

This is one case where i would rather have form over function, thank you Steve for teaching the world how difficult it is to make a good design.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I thought the whole reason that these have larger touch gesture surfaces is because they will feature smart controls such as auto live sub titles in different languages when presenting etc

Seems we may still be waiting for this integration, so the wow is yet to come but these are destined not to be just dumb headsets for media consumption

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Awesome. I already have things like these in my ears, so it simply amazes me that people that are not hearing-impaired volunteer to put the similar equipment in their ears...

pair-of-resound-linx-3d-cropped.ashx

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.