Microsoft's VC

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by zap2, Nov 13, 2007.

1. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Yup, MS is following Nintendo's and Sony's lead(not that its bad...infact seems like a logical step)...they are making Xbox games download able from XBL for 1200 MS points(15USD)

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=175527

I'm impressed....but xbox 1 games are kind of big. How many can I fit on my xbox 360? but I'l likely download halo 1(someday)

2. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

HURRAH!!

Damn, means I'll be buying either that big HDD, or the Elite.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Whoa. What a good idea! I mean, I already own all 4 original Xbox games I wanted but this could come in really handy for those rare games.

I hope they allow for redownloads of pucharsed content. The VC lets you do this and you can back up to SD card.

4. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Yah... Rather unfortunately this is M$ we're talking about here jimmi. Would be nice though, considering I have a rather large cat of xbox games I could download then trade in. ;)

5. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Anyone know if this will make it possible to play back up CDs of old xbox games? I've been wanting to do this, but without having to modify anything in the Xbox360 that might void my warranty.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No you cant...

7. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Look like Microsoft is back at work on another trojan horse...their 2nd this year.

The first was forcing Vista on gamers wanting DX10, now it's shoehorning 360 owners into paying up for a larger HD to download Xbox 1 games.

*sigh*

Good idea, bad idea. Mainly bad idea.

Why not just let users plug in external usb HDs like Sony on the Ps3? Oh yeah - then they (Microsoft) don't make money *bonks self in head* DUH. :rolleyes:

The other problem other than size is price. Most of these games mentioned could probably be bought used for $15 or less and in that case you're actually getting a physical disc. /shrug/

8. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I hope this forces Sony to put more PSone games on the damn PSN store and maybe think about putting PS2 games there too.

9. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I'm curious what other features are in the fall update? Anyone have any info?

10. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

so they've given up on backward compatibility and are just gonna make you rebuy your old games. Cool.

11. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Yeah, I was thinking what state this would leave the BC in. A poor one, it would seem.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If they add achievements and integrate it with Xbox Live then I feel it'll be a good idea. If they're just doing this-

- to scrap b/c
    - to force people into buying bigger HDD's
    - prioritising popular games (which can be bought already) over rare

then it'll be poo.

13. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I 4th the "scrapping b/c" thought.

That was my other initial thought..."gee, I guess now they can stop updating the b/c list, as pathetic as those updates have already been thus far....and just work on downloadable games for more moolah". :rolleyes:

Normally I'm with Microsoft, but this one...seeing beyond the "wow, Xbox 1 games available for download! sweet!" I'm just not feeling this. :eek:

I like what they've done with Live Arcade and downloadable games/digital distribution, but some of their antics and prices leave a lot to be desired IMO. I think Arcade games should drop in price after an extended period of time, and some of these "addons for a buck here or there" just seem cheap and leeching IMO. Like Worms and the stages. Look, I love Worms more than most people, but charging for more stages is really being exhorbitant. I know you don't HAVE to have them, but come on. $10 for the game and the best you can throw in is 3 stages and charge $2 (roughly) for each additional stage? Come on. (I bought them, but I'm still complaining. :D) And Tetris Splash. A couple hundred MS points for fish? Sometimes...I dunno about these people. Microsoft's like the abusive girlfriend; you take a beating but you love it so you come back and take 'another' beating. :p Charging for gamerpics and themes? And paying Live members have ads just like Silver members? *sigh*

14. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Yeah, if they do it right it'll be good. If they're doing it as a money making exercise it'll be a waste.

Adding achievements and integrating with XBL it'll be good.

15. zap2 thread starter macrumors 604

zap2

then go buy the disks of these games...all this does is let people pick how they want to go about this. It doesn't force big Hard drives on people...because it doesn't force you to play the games :rolleyes:

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Well at least more on the N/A PSN because the Japan store has alot of PS1 games. I really want them to get this going seeing how some of these titles will be playable on PSP.....stop stalling and get it going.

Bless

17. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Of course not, I never said it did.
    I said it forces people to buy the larger HD to be able to download Xbox 1 games, which it does.

13 gigs ain't gonna cut it on the regular HD when a DL DVD is 9.4gb theoretically (more like 8.5gb of actual usable space).

You want one (the games), you must buy the other (the 120gig HD). BS. It's their trojan horse to get people to buy the larger HD. I guess HD movies didn't work in their favor in that regard so they decided to up the ante and release Xbox games and dangle Halo in front of people's eyes.

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Sucks to own a 360 with a 20 GB hard drive then?

19. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

If they add online play for halo 1, this will be huge. Halo plays soo much different then 2 or 3.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd buy that for Sidewinder alone.

21. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Exactly. By far the greatest multiplayer experiences I've had all evolved around CTF Pro, Oddball, and King of the Hill games on Halo 1. Xbox Connect was ok, but holy crap that's going to be amazing if we can play on Live.

It would be nice if they would implement a system where you could put your UPC code in, and not have to purchase the game over again. Maybe those with the cameras could scan them in, a la Delicious Library.

Exciting stuff!

22. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Surely they will be able to compress some games to make them smaller than the full dvd sizes. Isn't that what they have been doing already? Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is only 150mb.

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Actually a lot if not the majority of those games for people I know who have 'backups' *cough cough* are around 1gb in size, with some being around 700mb.

Therefore they are roughly the same size as the majority of the demos.

So your all pretty much making an issue out of nothing.

You do not need a 120gb hard drive.

24. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Yeah but SotN is nothing but 2d sprites and cd audio which can then be compressed to mp3...and sprites are microscopic in file size compared to 3d textures and whatnot - that's the difference there.

25. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I really miss sidewinder, works so great with 8+ people. Every weapon and vehicle had a use on the map.