Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Mid-2011 iPhone to Utilize Dual-Mode GSM/CDMA Chip, Skip 4G?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

TechCrunch, which offered some of the earliest specific claims of a late 2010 manufacturing run for the Verizon iPhone, now reports that the fifth-generation iPhone due for release in mid-2011 will utilize a dual-mode chip to provide compatibility with both GSM and CDMA network technologies on a single device. The updated model will not, however, support the 4G LTE standard that several carriers are preparing to roll out.
First things first - the iPhone CDMA model due in January won't support LTE. But here's where it gets really interesting: sources tell me that the iPhone refresh in mid-2011 won't support LTE either. Instead, Apple will produce a dual mode iPhone containing 3G flavors of GSM and CDMA, which operates on all carriers worldwide. If this holds true, Apple won't support the LTE standard until some time in 2012.
The report goes on to note that Apple may be reluctant to offer 4G compatibility until some of the technological bugs have been worked out and deployment schedules allow the service to be extended to cover larger portions of the population.
Apple simply doesn't want to be the guinea pig on new LTE networks that aren't ready for primetime, and Steve Jobs knows not to trust the hype that's spewed by the carriers on 4G. The truth is that 3G networks have many more years of life, and the transition to LTE will be much slower than the carriers want you to believe (LTE doesn't even have its voice standard fleshed out yet).
A somewhat-delayed entry into the field of 4G devices would not be a new tactic for Apple, as the company similarly elected to offer the original iPhone as an EDGE-only device in 2007, despite the fact that 3G networks were already prevalent in many of its top markets.

Article Link: Mid-2011 iPhone to Utilize Dual-Mode GSM/CDMA Chip, Skip 4G?

ghostlyorb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
Virginia, USA
they better have a bunch of new features if they want the mid-2011 iPhone to sell... 4G was one main reason on why I would buy it. oh well for that one!

Comment

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
i could of guessed this was gunna happen, but nevertheless they better add s shiz lode of new features (and not just software ones) or im not buying it.

Comment

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Unlocked World iPhone! F-- the carriers!

Sell it yourself, Apple. No subsidy, and let the users decide where to use it. If the carrier wants to sell it subsidized and lock them in for a few years, that's their choice.

Tired of carriers trying to dictate how I should use my mobile device. Maybe I don't want or need a data plan. Maybe I want to switch between two carriers over the next year. Maybe I like my grandfathered plan.

This is how it should have been all along.

Comment

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
2011 is a bit too early for LTE. It will come, but the service will be extremely limited until 2012.

Comment

griz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
New London, NH
A release in January of a Verizon iPhone would be interesting. It would stagger the timeline for contract expiration just enough to really annoy people. If they wait until mid2011 to release it, then anyone thinking of buying the new iPhone has a choice between the carriers and the upgrade to new features. Releasing an iPhone for VZW in Jan would only bring in current non iphone users.

Comment

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
This makes these rumors a little more believable. I just couldn't see Apple making different models of the phone... but a phone that does both.. and does not have 4G yet... that I can believe.

Comment

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Doesn't surprise me at all. Folks need to remember that Apple's first iPhone wasn't 3G even though 3G was available and other manufacturers were utilizing it at the time on their respective phones.

They will do the same with 4G. They will not be an early adopter.

Comment

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
LTE won't be ready for 2011 in so many places and on most networks, it will be mid to late 2012 and into 2013 before the major carriers have completely rolled it out to a majority of markets.

ADDED to which, the other myth about LTE, is that it is a relatively minor bump in data speed as compared to the EDGE to 3G jump.

Comment

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
I wonder if the antenna issues are addressed.

Better believe it! :D

I bet the iPhone 4 stylings will last less, then the Cube or iMac hockey puck mouse. :eek:

I bet, and this is just a hunch, we'll see a couple of the artsy, fartsy things gone... ie. glass back and antenna frame and what ever else is happing to the masses with their iPhone 4 that Apple is "looking into"! :rolleyes: :apple:
/
/
/

Comment

frjonah

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2009
Almost Heaven... WV
Too bad about the 4G... is this really confirmed though? Apple seems to usually be on the early side of adopting new standards... e.g. Wireless N. A counter argument might well be the lack of USB 3.0 ports on even the Mac Pros, despite their being common on new PC motherboards these days.

I'd be happy with a Verizon iPhone at this point with no additional features (except maybe make the antenna issue go away).

Comment

NomadicTy

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2007
I don't live in the boondocks, so there should be enough LTE coverage for me. Besides, isn't LTE downward compatible? It's not like your LTE phone would stop working if there is no LTE service.

I am still hanging on to my iPhone 3G. I'm estimating I only have a year left on it before it completely breaks apart. If the iPhone 2011 does not have LTE, I'll have to buy something else.

Comment

ndpitch

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
3G networks are fine for me -- plenty fast enough. Plus, 4G networks will be so much more money on your monthly bill.

Comment

carlos916

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

No 4g! Mehh oh well my contract will be up In 2years like most of us ... so I can wait :p

Comment

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I don't live in the boondocks, so there should be enough LTE coverage for me. Besides, isn't LTE downward compatible? It's not like your LTE phone would stop working if there is no LTE service.

How dare you suggest Apple adopt the latest and greatest with a proper fallback method ? Proposterous! The iPhone 3G, once released, never would drop back the EDGE ever.. err. wait... :rolleyes:

Seriously, what's the arm in shipping a LTE capable phone with 3G fallback ? Even if LTE is really limited, when you can use it it works, and when you can't, you get 3G all the same.

Comment

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Unlocked World iPhone! F-- the carriers!

Sell it yourself, Apple. No subsidy, and let the users decide where to use it. If the carrier wants to sell it subsidized and lock them in for a few years, that's their choice.

Tired of carriers trying to dictate how I should use my mobile device. Maybe I don't want or need a data plan. Maybe I want to switch between two carriers over the next year. Maybe I like my grandfathered plan.

This is how it should have been all along.

I wouldn't be surprised if Google would either buy a carrier or start becoming a carrier allowing them to basically do anything they want.

There is so much money to be made in wireless and cell phones that it is enticing enough to do so.

Totally agreed that we should all have freedom of choice without being locked into any plan.

Right now there is no competition if one wants an iphone. After 2 years ATT still is on Edge in my area and I will be watching Verizon's network.

They have their weaknesses too.

You can buy an iphone at the "real" price in Europe and chose your carrier.
(Don't know if you then have to go to a plan)

I would even like an iphone with a pay as you go plan.

Every time a carrier sucks you can switch until you find the best that works for you. I am sure it's different depending on where you live .

One thing is for sure for a country that prides itself in being free, we accept a lot of choke chains for money or that "must have" item.

Comment

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Seriously, what's the arm in shipping a LTE capable phone with 3G fallback ?

If you had actually read the news item, you would have read such clues as:

The report goes on to note that Apple may be reluctant to offer 4G compatibility until some of the technological bugs have been worked out and deployment schedules allow the service to be extended to cover larger portions of the population.
Quote:
Apple simply doesn't want to be the guinea pig on new LTE networks that aren't ready for primetime, and Steve Jobs knows not to trust the hype that's spewed by the carriers on 4G. The truth is that 3G networks have many more years of life, and the transition to LTE will be much slower than the carriers want you to believe (LTE doesn't even have its voice standard fleshed out yet).

It's hard to make an "LTE-compatible" phone when "LTE" is arguably not even defined yet.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.