Mid 2012 MacBook Pro 13" Awfully Slow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mr99, Apr 30, 2014.

1. mr99 Suspended

Why?

It is mid spec'd with 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD. What are some drivers that would make it run god awfully slow? My computer struggles to open safari or any web browser, takes forever to launch anything i.e. iTunes, mail, etc, sometimes the computer just freezes (beachball) for minutes at a time, I've never had a computer this slow, what is the deal?

I made a second user profile and logged out of mine + logged into that one. That profile seems to run more effeciently - why?

What can I do to revitalize my MacBook Pro?

2. rapicell macrumors regular

Have you tried doing a fresh install of your OS? Sometimes that helps, specially if there's hidden junk files floating around

3. mr99 thread starter Suspended

Will it affect all of my data, files, pictures, etc? How to do it to retain all of my 'stuff'?

4. Beecker macrumors member

Beecker

Have you ran the usual? Disk Utility, Open up terminal and type "purge".
    i also use a program called "Disk Diag".

First and Second: In "Disk Utility" run "verify disk" see if it needs to be repaired. Then "verify disk Permissions" Repair the permissions.

Third: Run the program "Disk Diag" and see how much space is used up for Caches, Logs, Browser Data, Trash, ext...

Fourth:When i used to have 8gigs i would notice after a while of working with multiple programs open and running, my computer would be slow. Open up Terminal and type the command "purge". It will lag for a moment or two then you will see the empty command prompt underneath the last command "purge".

Giv these a shot and see if it helps. If it doesn't theres always backup with a fresh install of OSX.

5. djfmf macrumors member

the first day i got my mid 2012 mbp i installed 16gb of ram, 120gb SSD main drive, and put the 500gb in the optical bay. while battery life has decreased the performance is spot on. eventually i plan on swapping out the 120gb ssd for something larger, like a 256 or 512. :)

6. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

4 GB RAM is likely a bit on the low side these days.

I'd add RAM and consider an SSD before I'd think too much about reinstalling the OS.

7. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Reinstalling the OS is free though, always worth a shot.

Barney

8. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

I disagree.

Re-installing the OS is something that people have drug over from Windows - it's not nearly as useful on MacOS.

It has costs in terms of time spent, and risk for having items go missing.

9. daghstdrummer macrumors member

I just upgraded to 8gb ram and it helped tremendously. start with that.. but my next upgrade will be a ssd

10. mr99 thread starter Suspended

When I try "purge", it says operation not permitted...?

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

When I use my sisters mid 2012 MBP with the same specs as yours it feels painfully slow to me. I've always attributed it to the HDD, my mid 2009 MBP has much less processing power but FEELS faster due to the SSD.

12. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

This is completely dependent on usage. 4GB ram is plenty for most users who aren't doing heavy photo/video editing or running VM's.

The HHD is the culprit here. My friends wife has the mid 2012 cMBP and her's had slowed to a snails pace just like the OP. I installed an SSD for her and now the machine is fast and responsive.

It is possible that the OP could benefit from more ram (depending on usage) but that money would be much better spent upgrading to SSD.

13. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Type "sudo purge". You'll have to enter your password.

Check Activity Monitor for RAM usage and pressure. It'll give you a good idea of your RAM requirements. Upgrading to 8GB memory and an SSD will be a safe bet. In around $150, you'll be able to give your MBP a new life.

Raptor

14. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

So nobody's considering it could just be a crashed process? Because I've seen it be the case more than enough times to count.

Open up the Activity Monitor and check if there's a process consuming more CPU power than it should. If there is, then kill it by highlighting it and then pressing the red stop sign shaped button.

As for the idiots going on about not enough RAM, 4GB is plenty unless you're doing something really heavy. I can personally have half a dozen programs open at one time, including a browser with almost a dozen tabs, but I've never run out of RAM with the 4GB that I have on this machine. Even if you'd be running out of RAM OSX 10.9 has a feature where unused memory is compressed so don't run out of RAM.

15. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

16. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

Although I'm a proponent of SSDs, this machine has plenty of RAM for everyday tasks and should operate rather competently with a hard drive. Here are some things you can check out:

When you mentioned your user account not working as well as a new one - there may be some sort of process or application that is running in the background. Check your Login Items (System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items) to see if there's anything you don't need. Also, open Activity Monitor and look for any processes that are eating up a lot of CPU resources.

Check your RAM usage - open Activity Monitor and pick the Memory tab. If the Memory Pressure graph is maxed out, you may want to consider adding more.

Check to see if the hard drive has file system errors - start up while pressing Command+R to go to the Recovery Partition - open Disk Utility and use the Verify Disk function to see if there's anything wrong. If there is, repair it. If it can't be repaired, then you might want to back important things up, erase the drive, and reinstall the OS.

It also could be the actual hard drive cable - I've seen that happen on a number of these (more than one would really expect) - the hard drive acts like it's failing, but works fine with an external enclosure / USB<->SATA adapter. A known good drive also misbehaves when installed in the machine. There's something where the cable shorts against the aluminum and so the drive basically briefly loses its connection with the logic board. I think Apple charges about $50 to replace it out of warranty, although you can find and replace this easily on your own.

Finally, the hard drive could be on its way out, but I'd make sure that it wasn't the item above. These are still being sold with this configuration, so it simply having 4GB RAM and a hard drive can't be the only reason it's slow. If that were the case, a lot of the base Mac minis would be unusable.

17. mr99 thread starter Suspended

It says data loss can occur with sudo purge? What am I at risk of losing? I have a lot of important data on my mbp.

----------

Thanks for the helpful post. I checked all of that and it all looks okay.

18. mr99 thread starter Suspended

19. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Your memory is fine. Ram isn't the problem.

20. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

How full is your HDD? When you are getting close to the full capacity it slows down the machine a lot. Just one idea that I think has not been mentioned yet.

21. raptor402 macrumors 6502

By using the purge command, you remove the cache created by applications on the RAM for quick access. You don't actually lose any data. If you look at the screenshot you posted, you'll notice that you have 700+MB in "File Cache". Purge will just remove that.

Raptor

22. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Buy an SSD. Then watch it boot up in just 11 seconds and watch it launch apps instantly without waiting times.

23. Crugga macrumors regular

In fairness this is probably your problem.

Plug an external in and transfer some movies or other large files off and delete off the machine.

SSD however is a well worthwhile upgrade and a pretty easy one to do on a non retina machine.

24. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

Throw a SSD to it and you'll see it fly. I did the same on my late 2008 macbook pro and it's a night and day difference

25. mr99 thread starter Suspended

I'm about 50% of my capacity. I'm using 250GB out of a 500GB HDD.

Are you talking about "purge" or "sudo purge"? "Sudo Purge" is the command that warned against data loss. "Purge" wouldn't execute for some reason.

From what i've read and what people on here have said, sure it will boot really fast and that's great, but i'm looking to improve the overall usage experience while on the computer. It's not just launching apps, but using them as well.

I have an external but I only use it for time machine. I also looked at my HDD usage and there is something like 120GB of "other". What is that..?